Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet Erase button

Posted by Don Recardo 
Duet Erase button
May 16, 2015 08:04AM
Is it absolutely necessary to press the erase button every time I update the firmware ?

The reason I ask is I want to mount a reset button outside the Duet case and that's easy to connect to the required signals
I believe pin 4 on the expansion connector is reset and there are plenty of GNDs about
but not so with the erase button , the only place I can see to take the erase signal from is the connection on the erase switch

So if pressing the erase button is not strictly neccessary every time I can miss that off and just fit the reset

Don
Re: Duet Erase button
May 16, 2015 08:12AM
i think if you do not press Erase button the bossac will not detect a programing port and you will not be able to load new firmware to the board.
May 16, 2015 12:25PM
You do need to press the Erase button to upload new firmware. However, it would be possible to add an "Erase firmware and reset" gcode sequence to the existing firmware, which would avoid the need to press the Erase button in future.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 16, 2015 10:29PM
dc42
You do need to press the Erase button to upload new firmware. However, it would be possible to add an "Erase firmware and reset" gcode sequence to the existing firmware, which would avoid the need to press the Erase button in future.

Well, I'd be all for adding a gcode for that function, if it's not too difficult.
May 17, 2015 01:07AM
shadow651
dc42

Well, I'd be all for adding a gcode for that function, if it's not too difficult.

I also like this idea
May 17, 2015 03:52AM
achaz
shadow651
dc42

I also like this idea

Yes Please

Doug
May 17, 2015 04:03AM
OK, I'll see if I can slip this into my 1.09 version, which I was hoping to release later today. We already have the M999 command for software reset, so how about something like M999 S4321 to mean erase and reset?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 17, 2015 04:22AM
dc42
OK, I'll see if I can slip this into my 1.09 version, which I was hoping to release later today. We already have the M999 command for software reset, so how about something like M999 S4321 to mean erase and reset?

That sound good to me (Means I'll be able to remove my remote switches and tidy it up a bit)

Doug
May 17, 2015 07:11AM
Just don't put that G code in your print files! I suggest making sure the code chosen is unlikely to be entered accidentally by someone making a typo. Maybe it should need an unusual parameter or password.

Dave
May 17, 2015 07:29AM
dmould
Just don't put that G code in your print files! I suggest making sure the code chosen is unlikely to be entered accidentally by someone making a typo. Maybe it should need an unusual parameter or password.

Dave

Yes good point I suppose someone Could do S4321 by mistake how about M999 ERASE or M999 SERASE or something like that?

Doug
May 17, 2015 09:51AM
Well, TBH I don't see any advantage in adding a G-code to erase the existing firmware. You can already flash the Duet (and the Arduino Due) without pressing the erase button:

1) Open PuTTY (or your favourite terminal program) and connect to the flashed Duet with 1200bps and XON/XOFF activated
2) Run bossac -u to unlock all the Flash pages
3) Flash your ROM as you normally do (bossac -e -w -v -b )

That should be sufficient from my point of view, but I may have a go at implementing IAP (In-Application Programming) sometime in the future. Dave has already pointed out a nice way how this could be done, but I figure that will require some more work to ensure an f_read equivalent works while the actual firmware is being overwritten.
May 17, 2015 10:17AM
zombiepantslol
... I may have a go at implementing IAP (In-Application Programming) sometime ...
That would be very nice!
I assume the putty way of flashing works over USB, correct? For me the big step would be to flash via ethernet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login