Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No control over second extruder

Posted by RayC40 
No control over second extruder
May 18, 2015 06:59AM
I have recently purchased a dual nozzle upgrade from RRP and a dual sensor board from dc42. I built, wired, tested and commissioned everything and all went well. Temperatures ok, heaters working and both extruders working.
The tools I set to 1 and 2 but after reading that the standard is now 0 and 1 I changed the config file definitions from M563 P1 D0 H1 and M563 P2 D2 H1 to M563 P0 D0 H1 and M5631P1 D1 H2. I did not change the stepper cable over. Hence driver port 1 was open circuit. Realising what I had done I changed the cable over to 1. So during this fiasco I had managed to open circuit both ports.

Question is will having open circuits have damaged the Duet Shield driver ports?

I can't drive either port now using retract and extrude, NB the temperatures for both extruders are set to 170 for the tests to override the cold extrusion facility.

... but using tool 127 (I must admit that I don't know what I doing with this) both extruders work together in tandem normally!! which seems to suggest that the drivers are ok.

My head has now gone below the water level :-(

Any help on this problem would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Ray

Ray
Re: No control over second extruder
May 18, 2015 08:00AM
AFAIAA an open circuit stepper connection will do no damage, but plugging or unplugging a motor while the board is powered often will. So the question is whether you switched off the 12V power before you plugged in the stepper motor?

Dave
May 18, 2015 09:40AM
If tool 127 is driving both extruders then it must be a firmware or configuration issue. Which firmware are you using? Can you post your config.g file?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 18, 2015 10:38AM
I assume your wiring looks as explained in the instructions here: [reprappro.com]

Be aware that the first extruder must be connected to "Extruder 0" and the second one to "Extruder 2". Unfortunately the diagram doesn't make this very clear, but I expect this issue to be corrected quite soon.
May 18, 2015 11:11AM
Thank you all so much you've made an old man very happy. I've spent many many hours trying to work out what was happening.

From your three answers it was clear that I would never have found out that the second extruder is plugged into extruder 2 but addressed as D1. Everything is working fine now.

I have been following this forum for 18 months now and it's clear how much work you all put into supporting and developing the rest of us, it is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards

Ray

Ray
May 18, 2015 02:21PM
RayC40
Thank you all so much you've made an old man very happy. I've spent many many hours trying to work out what was happening.

From your three answers it was clear that I would never have found out that the second extruder is plugged into extruder 2 but addressed as D1. Everything is working fine now.

I have been following this forum for 18 months now and it's clear how much work you all put into supporting and developing the rest of us, it is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards

Ray

Yes one of the best forums ever! Thank you all from me aswell!
May 19, 2015 12:59PM
Hi all

Thanks for spotting this. I've updated the Duet Shield wiring diagram so the extruders are correctly marked, made the wiring connections and board legends a little clearer (though they are not what is on the actual board, so I'll update it again at some point). Also turned it up the right way for Ormerod 2, Huxley Duo and Mendel 3 owners, at least! Hopefully it's a bit clearer... Link: [reprappro.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
May 20, 2015 07:56AM
Hi Ian

Are the shield schematics open source? I have not seen them anywhere on github, maybe I'm not looking very closely.
I wanted to see if there were any other differences than the analogue ground and layout between the Duex I have and the new shield.

Regards

Lloyd
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login