Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A better z lower mount? (Ormerod2)

Posted by Fpex 
A better z lower mount? (Ormerod2)
May 24, 2015 08:27AM
Now that my psu is dead., I need to dismount and remount my ormerod. This gives opportunities to some changes.
My z lower mount is cracked. I focused so far with a 3d doodler :-) and I have printed a new much stronger mount already. But I see that the mount itself is designed on the weak side.

Has anybody thought and tried a better z lower mount?

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
Re: A better z lower mount? (Ormerod2)
May 24, 2015 08:35AM
I have already replaced 1 Z lower mount other day ,would be nice to have a better printed solution aswell.

I have seen this on Thingiverse: [www.thingiverse.com]

but i have not tried it it says its for ormerod 1 but it is probably same for Ormerod 2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 08:37AM by Darathy.
May 24, 2015 09:07AM
I believe those parts are identical. I exchanged the z-lower-mount of my Ormerod 1 a while ago and modified it to use M4x12 cap head screws instead of the countersunk ones, see here: [forums.reprap.org]
May 24, 2015 01:54PM
zombiepantslol
I believe those parts are identical. I exchanged the z-lower-mount of my Ormerod 1 a while ago and modified it to use M4x12 cap head screws instead of the countersunk ones, see here: [forums.reprap.org]

Now I am a little bit afraid. Because I had some issues with my printer at the moment I replace some parts with newer an better one (at the moment I try to print the spring loaded extruder for example) printed in ABS. My z-lower mount is still the original one delivered with my Ormerod 1. Now I am reading that there are maybe stability issues. Normally ABS should be more stable than PLA, shouldn't it?
The most problems I have are indeed the Exxtruder gears. Some gears I have printed in HIPS cannot be used anymore. My Extruder looks really strange at the moment, but I am able to print at the moment until the new extruder is ready. I do not want to risk my original parts because I am printing ABS and some parts already got a little bit weak.

ZPL, maybe it is a problem with these anti vibration stands?

Sorry, for being a little bit off topic.
May 24, 2015 02:03PM
zombiepantslol

The one on thingiverse is a bit beefier but still got the weakness of using countersunk screws

Erik
May 24, 2015 02:55PM
Treito
zombiepantslol

Now I am a little bit afraid. Because I had some issues with my printer at the moment I replace some parts with newer an better one (at the moment I try to print the spring loaded extruder for example) printed in ABS. My z-lower mount is still the original one delivered with my Ormerod 1. Now I am reading that there are maybe stability issues. Normally ABS should be more stable than PLA, shouldn't it?
The most problems I have are indeed the Exxtruder gears. Some gears I have printed in HIPS cannot be used anymore. My Extruder looks really strange at the moment, but I am able to print at the moment until the new extruder is ready. I do not want to risk my original parts because I am printing ABS and some parts already got a little bit weak.

ZPL, maybe it is a problem with these anti vibration stands?

Sorry, for being a little bit off topic.

How do you have them positioned? The ones on thingiverse( [www.thingiverse.com] ) ,they say to put them under z motor but appjaws later told me to put it under the Z foot(it was a bit slipery so i put some double sided tape on the vibration absorption thingy) ,i had it under the motor and it probably broke my Z lower mount.
May 24, 2015 03:00PM
I was not able to print them yet. Luckily I have to say. But I heard they should be placed under the motor. So I have to print a new lower mount first. Or is the Ormerod 1 not affected?
May 24, 2015 03:04PM
Heres what appjaws(the creator of the vibration mounts) said in my post:

[forums.reprap.org]
May 24, 2015 03:16PM
So I think that appjaws is right because he designed them. Nevertheless I first have to have some replacement just in case and the design of ZPL seems to be better in my eyes. But I want to have these tiles if the printer is really going to be quieter. I also replaced the fan. The original one was broken after a very short time and the new one is much quieter.
May 24, 2015 03:18PM
If anyone notices that my modified version cracks, please let me know and I'll reinforce it a bit more. So far I'm quite happy with my modded version, though.
May 24, 2015 03:21PM
they make the printer much much quieter ,in fact you can mostly just hear the just fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 03:22PM by Darathy.
May 24, 2015 03:25PM
i also noticed that the countersunk screws are a bit too long(the ones supplied with my printer) in the triangle part i noticed that the scews actualy reached the extrusion before the plastic even came near it. i only noticed after reasembeling it ,i could see circular scratches on the extrusion ,so i shortened them.
May 25, 2015 04:24AM
Darathy
i also noticed that the countersunk screws are a bit too long(the ones supplied with my printer) in the triangle part i noticed that the scews actualy reached the extrusion before the plastic even came near it. i only noticed after reasembeling it ,i could see circular scratches on the extrusion ,so i shortened them.

Erik
May 25, 2015 06:19AM
ormerod168
Darathy

[attachment 55286 screws_too_long3.JPG]

Erik
exactly like that
May 25, 2015 06:46AM
Darathy
ormerod168
Darathy

[attachment 55286 screws_too_long3.JPG]

Erik
exactly like that

...and I showed and told Ian RepRapPro that long ago, his answer was "but what can we do about it?, those screws are already out there" - and my answer "been thinking hard about this......how about like...ad a note in the documentation to short those screws?"

Sound of crickets, then nothing :-) - maybe he thinks the mounting of the z-extrusion is rock solid and don't need support from that corner bracket, me think that arrangement is very flimsy and need all the help it can get

Erik
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login