Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which wire to use for Ormerod2

Posted by BenBB 
Which wire to use for Ormerod2
May 25, 2015 04:05AM
Hi All
I want to find out which wire is best to replace the current kit wire with, it is VERY unreliable, heavy, thick and causes lots of connectivity issues
I found that the wires place a lot of strain on the print head, also the "shielding" on the end are poorly applied. I also found some wires shorting due to poor kit quality...especially where the sheath was stripped. They cut trough the cores and it shorted resulting in a blown DUET !!
I also find the thick core 1.2mm wires are way over kill for driving the steppers..

Is there a silicone shielded 4 core wire available that anyone uses... it must be flexible and more durable that the current kit wires sad smiley
Otherwise I will make up my own 4 core with better quality wire
Tx Ben
Re: Which wire to use for Ormerod2
May 25, 2015 04:45AM
BenBB
Is there a silicone shielded 4 core wire available that anyone uses... it must be flexible and more durable that the current kit wires sad smiley

Flexibility doesn't only depend on the insulation being silicone or similar, it also requires lots of very fine conductors in the cable instead of fewer thicker ones.

If you are not worried about the printer generating some EMI, you could use unshielded cable, as on the Ormerod 1 and most other 3D printers. RepRapPro switched to shielded cable only so that the assembled kit could be CE certified in respect of EMI.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Which wire to use for Ormerod2
May 25, 2015 06:15AM
Try the R/C hobby shops for very flexible wire (lots of very fine conductors & silicon insulation, it is incredibly flexible). The thinnest wire may be a bit too thick for the hotend wiring though, but I see they have 36AWG which is quite thin ...
for example [hobbyking.co.uk] - if you order, select the warehouse closest to your country otherwise it will take weeks to arrive.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 06:17AM by dmould.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login