Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet as Laser Cutter Controller?

Posted by Radian 
Re: Duet as Laser Cutter Controller?
June 03, 2015 05:07PM
Radian
dc42
It's just occurred to me that if you use M574 Z1, you will also need to change homez.g and homeall.g to perform homing using a G1 command (as for X and Y axes), instead of a G30 command.

Is there anything wrong with just issuing G92 Z0 instead of a move that checks an unconnected endstop? That's what I did and it all seems quite happy.

I can't think of any reason not to.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 09, 2015 10:15AM
Project update: The Duet controller is now controlling my Laser cutter smiling smiley

The above test piece is 6.25mm MDF cut at 5mm/sec with the Laser fixed at half-power, enabled on "extrusion moves".
I've had very little experience using the laser cutter which has been gathering dust for over a year so I'm no great expert on how to use it. I've yet to find out quite a bit about cutting speed vs. power etc. but it's an encouraging start.

My next step is to see if the Laser power needs to be modulated to match the kinematics.

RS Components Reprap Ormerod No. 481
June 09, 2015 12:54PM
Looking good!

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 13, 2015 06:43PM
In case anyone is interested, I've written-up more details of this project in the Laser Cutter Working Group Forum. I will probably still be tapping the incredible brains here for Duet specifics from time to time smiling smiley

RS Components Reprap Ormerod No. 481
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login