Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replacing Duet with Arduino Due and specific Shields or Grbl

Posted by nebras 
Replacing Duet with Arduino Due and specific Shields or Grbl
June 13, 2015 12:57PM
Greetings,

So I am trying to build an Ormerod 2 without buying the kit. I am from Tunisia and getting everything shipped is a bit expensive + I want the experience of making everything on my own (Well , except for the printed parts : a friend suggested to mail them and it doesn't look problematic).

The actual problem here is the controller. I was thinking whether it would be possible to replace the duet with an Arduino Due and use available shields to control the stepper motors/thermistor/ethernet etc ... and was wondering whether I'll be able to get the same web interface and firmware to run on it (as getting the shields and the arduino is far easier than ordering a board here and takes much less time).
I was also wondering if I could get the cheaper arduino Uno and get the Ormerod to work with a similar precision using Grbl( I know I'll probably have to sacrifice all the GUIs but I can manage some command line if it means a cheaper prototype with the same quality).

Thanks
(Oh and this is also my first contact with the world of 3D printing)
Re: Replacing Duet with Arduino Due and specific Shields or Grbl
June 13, 2015 01:43PM
Hi nebras,

The current RepRapFirmware will run on an Arduino Due, however be aware the the Duet uses several pins that are NOT available on the Due. I guess it would be possible to simply change the missing pins in an individual firmware branch, but be aware you'll have to maintain your own fork in this case. I don't know Grbl, so I cannot say what you need to consider if you decide to go with it - maybe ask again in the Developers forum, I figure a few people will be able to help you there.

I for one am happy with the Duet, having a 3D printer with a LAN port often simplifies things, especially if the web interface is good tongue sticking out smiley
June 13, 2015 02:31PM
The Arduino Due has no Ethernet port, so you would not get a web interface.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 14, 2015 07:27PM
Thanks zombiepantslol ,

My idea is that if the firmware is compatible with the Due then I can simply get an Ethernet Shield (This [www.arduino.cc]) , 3 stepper motor control shields , and simply toy a bit with the firmware to get it working with all the Duet's potential (for one printer that is , I know it can be extended and all). Do you believe it could be possible ?
June 16, 2015 09:13AM
nebras
Do you believe it could be possible ?

Hi nebras,
maybe can 'help
[www.instructables.com]

Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
June 24, 2015 07:34AM
I just found a new device.
Can this replace the Duet board?
[cdn-reichelt.de]

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
June 24, 2015 07:46AM
Treito
I just found a new device.
Can this replace the Duet board?
[cdn-reichelt.de]

No, the processor on that board is way underpowered.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 24, 2015 07:50AM
Okay it was only an idea. Because it has Ethernet, USB and an microSD-Slot.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login