Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spring loaded extruder is not working (for me)

Posted by Treito 
Spring loaded extruder is not working (for me)
June 21, 2015 03:11AM
Hello,

I tried to use this spring loaded extruder but it do not work properly for me. To be honest I combined two remixes from thingiverse for my needs but that should not be the problem. (Ormerod2 and pneumatic fitting)
I used a ball point spring and a long screw so I am able to get every tension I need from low to high. If I use a low tension the filament is slipping and is not able to turn the spool. If it is too hard the filament is also not extruded of course. So I used the middle way. Now I had often that after some layers the filament was not extruded anymore and I do not always watch the print. Instead I had some particles inside the extruder and the hobbet gear was completely dirty with filament. The filament got stuck and I had to cut it above the hobbet gear and sometime beneath. (Normally this type of extruder should prevent things like this?) Last time I think the screw turned out a little bit - 10mm or so.
So what am I doing wrong? Wrong nut?
I did several test - the extruder never achieved the tension like the original. If I gave some resistance with my fingers it slipped immediately and after that it needed assistance to transport the filament again. That is not at the original one.

Regards,

Sven

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2015 03:11AM by Treito.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Re: Spring loaded extruder is not working (for me)
June 21, 2015 05:00AM
Hi Sven,
with the original version I lost many prints... probably due to poor quality of some filaments.
Spring loaded extruder driver is working fine here, but if you have a good experience with the original why change?

My choice even in version 2 remains the same [www.dropbox.com]
Thanks Amsterdamman! Thanks MasonStonehenge!

Dario

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2015 05:05AM by Ormerod187.

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
June 21, 2015 05:04AM
So I have had one time that the filament diameter was too thick but it does not make the way through the extruder. So it was no problem of sticking etc.
The easier cleaning and easier mounting of the herringbone gears were the main reasons and I did not find an extruder with pneumatic fitting. That has changed already.
Even though I have an Ormerod MK1 I need an MK2 Extruder caused off using the x-arm-rib.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
June 21, 2015 06:24AM
Hi Sven,
I'm still using the brass union.... this is due to my experience in pneumatic automation.
I do not believe that pneumatic fitting it's the best for a printer.
With low pressures have never worked well on my things....

Probably today have been improved.... which brand do you recommend for a test?
There are specific connectors designed for 3D printers?

Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
June 21, 2015 07:46AM
Treito
...I used a ball point spring and a long screw so I am able to get every tension I need from low to high...

Hello Sven

Your problem might be that a ball point spring is way too week so your "high" (before the spring is bottomed out) is too low, here's the data of the spring I use:

spring wire diameter 0.7mm
spring, outside diameter 5,6mm
spring length (relaxed) 24mm
spring length in use 12mm

...or this may be more useful for you, pressure of spring with the 12mm pre-load in use = 980 gram as far as I can measure using a letter weight, so the pressure on the filament (bearing wheel) will be in the range of 3000 gram

notice the force of a spring will vary with wire diameter and spring diameter

clean out the filament hole with a 2mm drill bit (hand held)

mount the TPFE tube and test with a sting of filament, should run right through without any resistance (always make sure there's no sharp edges on the filament end that could shave of slices of teflon and block the nozzle)

I use the filament sharpener to slightly cut the edges of the filament before loading, best printed in layer 0,1, it's very tiny!

[www.thingiverse.com]

For me MasonStonehenge's springloaded extruder is the the cat's meow, never had any problems with it at all, use it with the original brass bit secured with a screw

Erik
June 21, 2015 09:16AM
Maybe it is too weak, but I can get a tension that seems to be too high for the extruder and in this case it looks like your first picture. The only difference between your and mine spring is the wire diameter. Mine is indeed much smaller (0.3mm) and so my outer diameter is 5.0mm. I tried to order some other spring with an outer diameter of 6.3 and a length of 26mm but unfortunately it is not available at the moment. So you think it is really only the spring? What happens if you give resistance to your extrusion? Luckily my filament passes through the extruder wihout sharpening.

June 21, 2015 10:26AM
Treito
..So you think it is really only the spring?...

Yes I would think so, have been printing with same extruder without any problems whatsoever for a long time

..What happens if you give resistance to your extrusion?..

If I block the nozzle the extruder will keep its hold on the filament and stop the E-motor, no grinding of filament, my E-motor current setting is 1200mA

M906 X1000 Y1200 Z800 E1200 ; Set motor currents (mA)

Erik
June 21, 2015 10:39AM
But if you release the blocking?

June 21, 2015 11:45AM
Treito
But if you release the blocking?

then it will keep on extruding, no harm done to the filament or E-motor

Erik
June 21, 2015 12:03PM
Okay thanks I will give this later a new try.

June 21, 2015 12:27PM
So I found some springs with

spring wire diameter 0.8mm
spring, outside diameter 5,7mm
spring length (relaxed) 25mm

also nearly the same like yours even a little bit stronger. They should arrive during next week even though our post service is on strike. If they arrive anytime I will check them and I am looking forward to this.

June 21, 2015 01:15PM
Treito
So I found some springs with

spring wire diameter 0.8mm
spring, outside diameter 5,7mm
spring length (relaxed) 25mm

That will do just fine!, you will get a very good grip of the filament like this, from left, PLA, ABS, ABS

Erilk
June 21, 2015 02:03PM
I will hope so many thanks for the photos. Besides I found a good color combination for the spring loaded extruder. Really suitable for my coming Ormerod.

June 21, 2015 02:03PM
Thanks for the comments Erik etc. - I would imagine that many ballpoint pen springs would be weaker than the ones I originally used when testing the extruder.
The grip shown in Erik's photo of the filament is the perfect amount in my opinion - it won't wear through the filament but grabs it tightly.
June 21, 2015 02:09PM
VortyZA
Thanks for the comments Erik etc. - I would imagine that many ballpoint pen springs would be weaker than the ones I originally used when testing the extruder.
The grip shown in Erik's photo of the filament is the perfect amount in my opinion - it won't wear through the filament but grabs it tightly.

Is that you? Ah okay many thanks for the original design even though I only used remixes. But only because of mounting problems or holding problems. According to the description to thingiverse I used the ballpoint spring and as I tighten it I thought it was too strong so I never had really thought that the spring could be too weak. But I was not sure and that was why I asked here.

June 22, 2015 03:24PM
So in great hope I made a remix for the Feeder according to my needs. I was not able to edit something from the original .STP-file so it is not perfect (inside) but it should do the job. PTFE tubing inside and the possibility to use a pneumatic fitting with M5 thread instead of the normal connector. After I got my springs and a successful printing I will post some photos.

June 23, 2015 05:19AM
What is a better format to post that makes it possible for people to edit nicely - I've often wondered that. IGS?
June 23, 2015 07:09AM
The best way would be at first the file format of the program you used. There you would have full possibilities (in my case it would have been .fcstd). The sceond way would be a format that is common usable. IGS - I did not test yet but I can if you send me the file. Which program did you use? Many uses OpenSCAD. For me it is a little bit to abstract to draw with but you can easily make changes or parametric parts. And I also can understand the drawings but personally I need WYSIWYG especially at drawings. So I am using FreeCad. This is not very powerful indeed but it fulfils my needs so far.
My poblem was that I only got the part as one unit and I have no possibilities to edit it. I have to use some tricks so I used a sketch to delete the one overhang side where you can secure the tongue.
I was not able to catch the geometry inside a sketch so I could center the whole or something like that. But this can be a problem by myself - I am not familiar with Freecad but it is kind of similiar with Inventor.
So I draw a new ring on the top of the feeder and extruded it down to reduce the whole size. In your file you probably have some sketch where the diameter is given and you only would have to change this value to change the diameter.
At the end you will not see any difference except if you take a look "inside" because I was not able to close the side hole completely so inside I have now a little fault. It is not very nice but it does not effect the function.
Unfortunately I was not able to print my part yet. I want to print it in ABS and that is the problem for now but I am short before solving this.

June 24, 2015 02:02AM
Hello,

I could do some steps forward. As I said before I am probably too dump for the using of my CAD-program. So I am able to catch parts of the original geometry at a new sketch. However I cannot change the imported object itself. So in 12 hours this will gonna be funny. The whole for the PTFE tube is too small. I only could get tubes with an OD of 4mm but the Feeder provides only 3.4mm. So I have to widen this hole including the path. We will see. But this makes things much more easily.
@VortyZA I hope you did not get anything of the conversation in such a way that I would blame you in any kind. Written text can be easily misinterpreted and I really hope that this was not the case here but I am not sure afterwards. It was only meant as fact but that is generally a problem in the open source community as well as in commercial environments that there is no real standard for file exchanges only some (poor) attempts.

Regards,

Sven

June 24, 2015 06:23AM
I'm using very light springs on two spring extruders (no PTFE insert and no modified radius on the input) and motor current of 800mA and have had no trouble with feeding the filament or pulling the filament from the spool. However I did notice, when assembling the two parts, that the bearing on the opposite end of the hobbed nut shaft was resting on the stepper motor housing and preventing the hobbed nut from closing on to it's seating, thus preventing the spring adjustment from working. So I filed the stepper motor housing corner a little to allow full travel of the hobbed nut. This seems a bit crude but the motor housing is quite thick and only a little is removed from it. If you decide to do this mark where it needs to be removed from and allow for the fact that the moving part describes an arc so an adjustment to the position of the mark should be made to allow for this.

The springs I'm using are: wire dia. 0.4mm, OD 4.25mm, L 17mm. Don't forget that the spring force is applied at the end of quite a long lever so, in my opinion, not too big a spring is necessary.

The spring extruder I'm using is MasonStonehendge's (with, I think, iamburny's mod for pneumatic connectors). Both on Thingiverse.

I hope this helps.

Ray
June 24, 2015 07:25AM
Normally there is no need to do this. A normal washer between the motor and the bearing is neccessary and the bearing runs well. The washer has to be a normal one not the big one.

June 24, 2015 02:18PM
Hi Treito

You misunderstand what I was trying to say. In my case the bearing is free run (I have the small washer in place) but the hobbed nut doesn't reach it.

Ray
June 24, 2015 02:34PM
Sorry now I got it. What material did you use? This should not be my problem as I was able to give so much tension on the Extruder that it was too much for the filament but I will take a look if I still have problems with the new springs. I also would like to use the PTFE tube to protect the Extruder entrance. I sometimes watched how the filament grub down a way through the entrance.

June 24, 2015 03:48PM
They were a couple of springs out of a ball pen so I don't know what the material was. When I make my own springs I use piano wire of various sizes and wind the spring on a former on my lathe. They should be heat treated afterwards but it gets very tricky so I don't bother.

I did insert a PTFE tube in to the extruder entrance but then I had trouble with the filament breaking if left over night. I thought at one time it was caused by pressure on the filament when left idle but it wasn't conclusive. Never did get to the bottom of that one so now I just remove the filament when I've finished. I see you have used ABS and HIPS, I've only used PLA so far.

Good luck with the new springs, I'm interested in how you get on.

Ray
June 24, 2015 05:24PM
I also use PLA and I want to print mainly in PLA but for security reason I would like to have the extruder in ABS. HIPS is nearly like ABS, less warping but if the force concentrates itselfs on a small area HIPS is much more weaker than ABS. The filament easily can eat itself through HIPS. I have no long term experience with ABS as I printed my last main extruder in HIPS because of the warping problems. To risk nothing I would like to secure the Extruder with the PTFE tube. That is all (as described above).
I only wanted to know of which material your extruder was not regarding the spring. It seems to be the new official sport here to go on strike so I have no idea when the springs will arrive - they was sent by mail and at the moment only parcel seems to work more or less. This year is really crazy. Creating an own spring - Nice idea btw.

June 25, 2015 11:31AM
The springs arrived. Even though I was not able to print my remixed feeder it looks really good using this kind of spring. At retraction nothing is moving anymore. The last time I used the pneumatic fitting the feeder itself moved backward. But I may need longer screws for better handling. As soon as I manage to print a full functional Extruder including my remix I will post some photos. Many thanks for the support so far.

June 25, 2015 11:53AM
Treito
..But I may need longer screws for better handling. ...

35mm did it for me but the nut sits flat with the end, 40mm would be more suitable - and ad a slice of kapton tape to hold the nut

Erik
June 25, 2015 11:56AM
I am using a 40mm screw right now. That was the longest screw I have. But why holding the nut? The spring is so strong what should ever happen to the nut? Optionally I could a securing nut or you call it nylon nut?

June 26, 2015 03:12PM
i used 40mm scew with a nyloc nut to hold it in place:

July 04, 2015 12:50PM
It works now really good.
I use this feeder Thingiverse It is my own variant.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login