Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spring loaded extruder is not working (for me)

Posted by Treito 
Re: Spring loaded extruder is not working (for me)
July 05, 2015 03:52PM
Good work - I like the colorful look smiling smiley
July 05, 2015 04:26PM
Me too especially these type of colors and the combination of them. So I decided that my new Ormerod will get these colors. Mostly the yellow one, partly the green one. Or in other words: The outside yellow, the x-carriage green and if a part consists of more then one part like the extruder I use both colors. Maybe I am adding some blue or red but we will see, I am not sure bout the gears but this combination looks really good. This Ormerod should have been only red but I think I will keep this extruder.
Most colors are not that expressive like this company. I have for example two red ABS filaments. One is looking more like this kiddy female color and the other one like the parts you put on the roof.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
July 19, 2015 12:45PM
Hi Treito and ormerod168.

Although all was well to start with, I started to get a few problems with the extruders so I took the advice of ormerod168 and made two springs to those dimensions. They will now feed at 60mm/s when loading the filament which they would not do before and now no problems with the spring extruders at all. Thanks to you both and for this fantastic forum.

Ray

Ray
July 19, 2015 01:27PM
RayC40
Hi Treito and ormerod168.

Although all was well to start with, I started to get a few problems with the extruders so I took the advice of ormerod168 and made two springs to those dimensions. They will now feed at 60mm/s when loading the filament which they would not do before and now no problems with the spring extruders at all. Thanks to you both and for this fantastic forum.

Ray

Great the hear! - yes you do have to use a suitable spring to get the best out of VortyZA's extruder and I did notice your commend about the bearing bottoming out on the stepper, but at least on my version (depends a bit of the slack in the hinged part) its well under half the diameter of filament so never a problem, more like a feature to keep the hobbed wheel from touching the bearing while empty

This extruder has for me been nom-noming filament measuring from 1.65 to 1.95 with stepper set at 1200mA, never had one single slippage, if anything gives its the stepper with a knocking sound

Erik
July 20, 2015 09:20AM
That is good to hear..

Meanwhile my other springs arrived and it seems that they are exact the same like Erik. My springs are a little bit stronger and I will keep using them. As my feeder is a little bit problematic I meanwhile published version 1.4 of my feeder variant. The filament did not find the way into the pneumatic fitting, got stuck but the motor tried to extrude. This ended in a filament breakage and that was more worst the filament was spreaded inside the pocket (rest of the old clamp connection) and was hard to remove.
On the first impression the Asia variant of the pneumatic fitting seems to be better as my branded ones and I get ten for the price of one.

The only problem for now is that I ordered 3 hobbed inserts and they did no arrive yet after 4 weeks. sad smiley

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
July 22, 2015 04:46AM
Which software did you use for designing the extruder parts?

July 22, 2015 08:07AM
I just used MasonStonehange's Feeder_V2c and V2b stl files and many thanks to him.

I either use OpenScad or Design Spark Mechanical for my designs. For me both have a place. OpenScad is better when you need to modify either your own files or other people's. Design Spark is very quick if you need to design a one off which is quite complicated but may need only a little modification. The free version of Design Spark does not allow imported stl files to be modified.

Ray

Ray
July 22, 2015 08:13AM
I used FreeCAD and the step files as I was able to reference given lines and so on, but I was not able to easily modify the wideness of a hole for example.

July 23, 2015 01:24PM
Treito
That is good to hear..

Meanwhile my other springs arrived and it seems that they are exact the same like Erik. My springs are a little bit stronger and I will keep using them. As my feeder is a little bit problematic I meanwhile published version 1.4 of my feeder variant. The filament did not find the way into the pneumatic fitting, got stuck but the motor tried to extrude. This ended in a filament breakage and that was more worst the filament was spreaded inside the pocket (rest of the old clamp connection) and was hard to remove.
On the first impression the Asia variant of the pneumatic fitting seems to be better as my branded ones and I get ten for the price of one.

The only problem for now is that I ordered 3 hobbed inserts and they did no arrive yet after 4 weeks. sad smiley

Where did you buy the springs from?
July 23, 2015 01:45PM
Darathy
...Where did you buy the springs from?

BTW, finally remembered where that spring I use originally came from, a soap dispenser, don't remember the brand but could be in the same range, worth a try innit? :-)

Erik
July 23, 2015 03:24PM
I bought mine from a big auction house - the stronger ones. The other ones are originally for another printer. I had no technical data but I hoped the best. They are meant to level the bed. Here is the pendant of the shop in UK: [www.conrad-electronic.co.uk]

This spring should be perfect for the extruder and is comparale with Erik's and a little bit weaker as mine but mine is nearly to strong.

July 23, 2015 05:16PM
ormerod168
Darathy
...Where did you buy the springs from?

BTW, finally remembered where that spring I use originally came from, a soap dispenser, don't remember the brand but could be in the same range, worth a try innit? :-)

[attachment 58683 soap_dispenser.JPG]

Erik

hmm cool ,i'll give that a shot ,thanks
July 23, 2015 05:28PM
To be honest I did not think on this option but after the details from Erik I wanted to have an identically spring so I bought 10 speings for 2,10€ and I was sure that these springs are right. The linked springs are also suitable and maybe I will use this in future. I am afraid that "our" soap spenders here in Germany uses 8mm springs or something like this.

July 25, 2015 07:27AM
Treito
... I am afraid that "our" soap spenders here in Germany uses 8mm springs or something like this...

Ding-Ding! that rang a memory bell! - the soap dispenser was Mildeen brand and from Aldi, seems to be part of their usual stock, I guess there is a Aldi in most parts of the world, drove by and got another one to show you guys

I suggest they run a advertisement something like this:

Soap dispenser, 500ml mild hand soap, only Dkr 8,95 (€1.20)....and a stainless spring, just perfect for your MasonStonehenge Spring-loaded extruder - two for the price of one!

Erik :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 07:28AM by ormerod168.
July 25, 2015 12:16PM
Why two for the price of one?
The springs from Conrad cost me only 0,45€ per piece and on ebay I got 10 for 2,10€ the stronger ones.
The only advantage is that you need soap and so you have them at home. But I did not buy soap from ALDI (here is the origin) for a long time. We have Mildeen but the kind of parfume changes often.

August 06, 2017 08:31AM
Thanks for the help and discussion here guys.

My printer must be the leader of the "Foot Clan" as it keeps shredding everything!

Shredder
December 06, 2018 05:06AM
Karoo Klong
Thanks for the help and discussion here guys.

My printer must be the leader of the "Foot Clan" as it keeps shredding everything!

Shredder

Just an update to that.
The reason for the printer shreding the filament was because the filament I received along with the printer is so uneven in diameter.
In some places it is as large as 3.7mm!!!

It sticks in the extruder and then just grinds away at it.

I baught new propper filament and never had a problem since.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login