Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

5-axis 3D printer made from Ormerod

Posted by oyvinkg 
5-axis 3D printer made from Ormerod
June 30, 2015 02:53PM
Hi,
since November/Desember last year I have been working on building a 5-axis 3D printer and now finally it is working. So I thought I should share it with you guys.
I want to thank this forum for all the help it have given me in the process and send a special thank to dc42 for his firmware which almost have been made for a 5-axis system.

Here are links to youtube videos:
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

And also an article written by 3Dprint with some more information:
[3dprint.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2015 03:35PM by oyvinkg.
Re: 5-axis 3D printer made from Ormerod
June 30, 2015 03:21PM
Simply awesome!
June 30, 2015 03:36PM
Ababuy
Simply awesome!

More than just awesome that is absolutely brilliant maybe even PHD Material rather than Master's

Now if that could be adapted to a Delta WOW.

Doug
June 30, 2015 03:44PM
Awsome ,cant stop watching XD
June 30, 2015 11:54PM
Well done, that is awesome! ! !
July 01, 2015 07:40AM
That is absolutely awesome and extremely interesting - thanks for posting to this forum.

Please keep us updated.

:-) Carsten
July 01, 2015 08:14AM
Impressive! How did you generate the gcode?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 01, 2015 04:04PM
Awsome...

great job.... so no support material is needed... hope for a build kit of such a printer....
July 02, 2015 02:14AM
Thank you for share........
wonderful project!

Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
July 02, 2015 05:13AM
Thank you for all the positive feedbacksmiling smiley
The g-code is generated in two or more stages. First I have sliced a part with either Cura or Slic3r, then I have made the 5-axis gcode with the help of java and spherical coordinate system. On the support test I have also sliced a top part wich I have added on top after the 5-axis gcode.

My project have mainly been to build a 5-axis system that people can use for future development of 5-axis slicers, therefore I haven't used to much time on the gcode part.

The plan is to release the software code for Ormerod, all the printed part and a list over what you need when I'm done writing my thesis. Since it is based on RepRap Ormerod all this is going to be open source.
I want to release the parts both as stl and SolidWorks files, but I have to figure ut how I should do it with the SolidWorks files since I have been using SolidWorks Educational version. And that version have some restrictions around commercial use.
July 02, 2015 05:29AM
Wow, love it! Really good work, oyvinkg. I've sent you a PM (private message), but may as well ask here; would you be interested in doing a guest blog post for our website about your machine?

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
July 02, 2015 08:10AM
Yes, a great innovation. Do you have any photographs you could post showing the whole machine? It is not easy to see what it looks like from the close-up views in the you-tube videos.

Dave
July 02, 2015 08:18AM
You have some pictures in this article :
[3dprint.com]
July 03, 2015 05:55PM
Dear Oyvinkg:

It is one sensation work. After we briefly introduced this upgraded OM in Chinese via Wechat, we received lots of enquiry how to build one 5-axis 3D OM, can't wait for your releasing instruction.

Well done

RepRapPro China 技术支持团队

西安锐普3D打印机有限公司
www.reprappro.com.cn
July 05, 2015 08:52AM
Must.
Have.
One.
tongue sticking out smiley

Truly amazing work. Well done!

oyvinkg
Thank you for all the positive feedbacksmiling smiley
The g-code is generated in two or more stages. First I have sliced a part with either Cura or Slic3r, then I have made the 5-axis gcode with the help of java and spherical coordinate system. On the support test I have also sliced a top part wich I have added on top after the 5-axis gcode.

My project have mainly been to build a 5-axis system that people can use for future development of 5-axis slicers, therefore I haven't used to much time on the gcode part.

The plan is to release the software code for Ormerod, all the printed part and a list over what you need when I'm done writing my thesis. Since it is based on RepRap Ormerod all this is going to be open source.
I want to release the parts both as stl and SolidWorks files, but I have to figure ut how I should do it with the SolidWorks files since I have been using SolidWorks Educational version. And that version have some restrictions around commercial use.

You, sir, are an officer and a gentleman. Can't wait to see it come out...
August 19, 2015 10:00AM
Hello Oyvinkg,

Congratulations on successfully creating a 5 axis printer, i'm impressed. I am looking to do a similar task including a non 2D slicer, I was wondering what modifications you needed to make to DC24's modded reprap firmware to get the axis working effectively?

Keep it up

Kind Regards

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login