Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod 1 software upgrade

Posted by GregL 
Ormerod 1 software upgrade
July 19, 2015 07:07AM
I'm the proud owner of Ormerod #17.
Been running fine with Matt's web interface (0.65 I think) and DC's firmware - until Gcode drag and drop stopped working!
Decided to go to RepRapPro's Ormerod 1 software, and upgrade firmware and htm files accordingly.
Drag and Drop works fine, but the printer doesn't.
Three issues found so far
1. X axis does not zero properly - the sensor does not go to the nice white (now off-white) patch set for it
2. The Nozzle heater (heater 1) does not set temperature - but I can get its temperature up by setting the 'standby' temp.
3. Absolutely no movement in the extruder
Any help would be gratefully received.
Greg

Ormerod #17
Re: Ormerod 1 software upgrade
July 19, 2015 07:18AM
Did you update your configuration files and homing files?

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
July 19, 2015 07:28AM
I copied over the following directories from SD-image on GitHub
macros
sys-Ormerod-1 renamed to just sys

Ormerod #17
July 19, 2015 08:02AM
GregL
1. X axis does not zero properly - the sensor does not go to the nice white (now off-white) patch set for it
2. The Nozzle heater (heater 1) does not set temperature - but I can get its temperature up by setting the 'standby' temp.
Greg

Hi Greg

A lot of things have change since version 0.65, AFAIR tool numbering, probe cabling, X-motor reversed mechanically or set so in config - you got some reading do do :-)

RepRapPro notice: Change of tool number
[forums.reprap.org]

Experimental firmware 0.78a-dc42
[forums.reprap.org]

Erik
July 19, 2015 08:35AM
The extruder not working is probably because cold extrusion is disabled by default. Either heat up the hot end first, or use the M302 command to enable cold extrusion.

If the X motor moves the wrong way when homing, turn the power off, then reverse the X motor connector on the Duet so that the colours are in the same order as for the other motors.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 19, 2015 08:59AM
So far, I have not attempted to run a Gcode file.
I have installed the firmware and software as specified by RepRapPro, and the Z probe is the original as supplied.
No wiring changes.
On startup, Chrome connects automatically
Home X will simply raise the Z axis, move a few mm in the +ve direction and then drop back in the Z axis.
An execution of X+10 also moves in the +ve direction
Z probe is returning a number flickering randomly between 850 and 890 - no matter what height the probe is at.

The hot end says it is Heater 1, with standby as T0 - altering standby temperature works, but Heater 1 temp changes do not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2015 09:00AM by GregL.

Ormerod #17
July 19, 2015 09:05AM
The Z probe wiring changed with firmware 0.78 ,you should check where to wire it. It is mentioned here: [forums.reprap.org] it is a reason your homing inst working.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2015 09:05AM by Darathy.
July 19, 2015 09:20AM
Thanks Darathy.
Not able to follow that link you gave.
Any other way to get to it?

Ormerod #17
July 19, 2015 09:29AM
ormerod168
GregL
Greg

Hi Greg

A lot of things have change since version 0.65, AFAIR tool numbering, probe cabling, X-motor reversed mechanically or set so in config - you got some reading do do :-)

RepRapPro notice: Change of tool number
[forums.reprap.org]

Experimental firmware 0.78a-dc42
[forums.reprap.org]

Erik

Look at the 2nd link here.
July 19, 2015 11:30AM
Thanks Erik,
Moved the sensor cable to pin 6. HomeX now works fine, and the Z probe number changes with height.

All I am trying at the moment, is to get RepRapPro's firmware, and web page to talk to each other correctly.
All three axes move in the correct directions from the web page.
The bed heater works correctly.

The heater does not come on when "Heater 1 active (T0)" is set to 170 deg
I can heat up the nozzle by using the Standby temperature (170 deg)
I sent M302 P1 to enable cold extrusion (even though it is actually hot)
Extrusion does not happen when demanded on the web page

Update
If I turn the Standby back to zero, then the heater stays at 170 (as asked for)
I got the extruder to work after I discovered the "Extruder Drives" sub menu "Zero Extruder Drive 1"

Now printing a file after manually setting the temperature (old gcode file)

Ormerod #17
July 19, 2015 01:40PM
I suggest you check the parameters in your M563 command in config.g.

EDIT: on second thoughts, I think the main problem is that you haven't activated Tool 0 (by clicking on it in the web interface, or sending T0) before trying to extrude or heat up the hot end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2015 02:19PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

July 20, 2015 09:00AM
When you make such a big firmware jump, you really need to understand the changes that have been made to the firmware. Most of what's changed is covered by the messages above. To this, I'd add, read through the commissioning and calibration instructions again: [reprappro.com]

This is what I tend to send to customers in a similar position:

Firmware 1.0.9 introduces a few changes, specifically controlling the hot end. First, to understand the new, extended, temperature response, see: [reprappro.com]

Then, to understand how the hot end is defined and enabled, see: [reprappro.com]

The above link also explains how to activate and deactivate tools. ie, send 'T0' to activate the tool, and any non-defined number to deactivate it, eg T99. The web interface has a second way of activating tools; if you click on the tool name, eg 'Heater 1', the text underneath it will change (from 'off' or 'standby') to 'active'. You can set the temperature before or after activating the heater, though the effect is slightly different; if you set the temperature, then activate, the printer waits until it gets to this temperature - you can't do anything else. If you activate the hot end, then set the temperature, you can do other things while the hot end heats up.

Each heater can be in one of three states; off, standby or active. If it's 'off', no heating will take place, and no extrusion can happen, as the tool IS NOT selected. If it's 'standby', the heater will heat to the standby temperature set by G10, or the web interface, and no extrusion can happen, as the tool IS NOT selected. If it's 'active', the heater will heat to the active temperature set by G10, or the web interface, and extrusion CAN happen, as the tool IS selected.

Finally, the hot end has to be up to temperature, and selected, before extrusion is allowed. You can override this; see: [reprappro.com]

v1.0.9 also greatly improves the network and web interface, making it much easier to connect (using DHCP and NetBIOS), and more stable; see: [reprappro.com]

There's also been a number of other updates. For information on the main changes in each firmware update, see the release notes for each one, here: [reprappro.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
July 21, 2015 06:27AM
Ian and David
Thanks - all operational now.
Greg

Ormerod #17
July 24, 2015 09:08AM
I'm the proud owner of an Ormerod #379 for over a year now and have tried my best to follow as many updates as I feel OK with smiling smiley
I have not updated any hardware but am running Firmware Version: 1.09 (2015-04-21) Web Interface Version: HTML: 1.06, JS: 1.06
I've managed to print in various ways and really like the new interface but as usual, I get frustrated by something every time.

I constantly get a "heater fault" error when the hot end heats up. The hot end gets to within 5'C then seems to stop heating and so the fault appears after 150 seconds.
There doesn't appear to be any fault in the hot end (I can easily reach temperatures above 230'C)

I've read through countless posts on here and as many commissioning docs but am obviously missing something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2015 09:08AM by PNut.
July 24, 2015 12:59PM
PNut
I constantly get a "heater fault" error when the hot end heats up. The hot end gets to within 5'C then seems to stop heating and so the fault appears after 150 seconds.
There doesn't appear to be any fault in the hot end (I can easily reach temperatures above 230'C)

See [reprap.org]. Looks like you need to increase it above 150 seconds.

July 25, 2015 12:46PM
I don't think increasing the heater timeout to more than 150 seconds is a good idea presuming you're using the original hotend. I'd rather try to increase the I term to 0.1 first (send M301 I0.1) and then try to increase the S term, which dc42 introduced many versions ago in his fork, by 0.05 steps until the hotend reaches its temperature within reasonable time. To do this, you can use the M301 code as well (e.g. M301 S1.05). The default S term is 1.0 and in fact your hotend should reach to its target temperature within 45 seconds max. My Ormerod 1 (although I'm using an LED PSU at 13V) takes about 32 seconds to heat up the nozzle from 25°C to 200°C.
July 26, 2015 04:32PM
Here's what I send to people who have reported this problem (there have been a few):

Some customers have had problems with hot end heating with the 1.09 firmware. The PID values (which control the heating) were changed with this firmware upate. Generally, this is okay - we tested in house, and didn't see any problems. But if there is something not working quite correctly, it can cause the heater to take too long to heat up. It tends to hit the temperature about 10C below target quickly, then creep slowly up to the target.

There's a couple of things you can check, and do, to overcome this (please revert to the standard heater values before doing this, ie don't use "M301 H1 S2.0"):

1. Check your heater is fully in the heater block, and the thermistor is too. Do you have a fan blowing on the heater block? This may cause it to take longer to heat up. Make sure the hot end fan (the one connected to the heatsink) is on ALL THE TIME.

2. Check the resistance of your heater cartridge. It should be around 3 ohms. If it's higher, it will take longer to heat up.

3. Probably the easiest thing to do is to revert to the settings we used in firmware 1.04. with the hot end cold, send:
M301 H1 P20 I0.5 D100

Heat up the hot end, and see how it responds. If it works better, please let me know. If it overshoots the temperature by a long way, like 10C, reduce the 'P' value to 15; send:
M301 H1 P15 I0.5 D100

You can also add this to your config.g to make it permanent.

4. You can increase the heater timeout with M570, see: [reprap.org]

We'll update the default PID values to be less conservative in the next firmware update.

Let me know if that helps.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
July 29, 2015 05:51AM
Ormerod 1 #17
I have been getting the occasional heater error message.
Applied your step 3, Ian.
Selected 235 for the heater, and it went up on full power to 234.1 and levelled instantly. Stayed around 234.0 - 234.3.
Set bed to 110, and the heater dropped to 233.5 plus or minus a little bit.
Bed has got to 89 so far - looking good.
Keep your fingers crossed.
Greg
PS now printing ABS and still looking good - head at 220 (+0.2 to -0.7) and bed at 100 (+0.1 to -0.8)
PPS print finished fine. I shall incorporate the fix in my config file

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2015 07:42AM by GregL.

Ormerod #17
July 29, 2015 09:09AM
GregL
Ormerod 1 #17
I have been getting the occasional heater error message.
Applied your step 3, Ian.
Selected 235 for the heater, and it went up on full power to 234.1 and levelled instantly. Stayed around 234.0 - 234.3.
Set bed to 110, and the heater dropped to 233.5 plus or minus a little bit.
Bed has got to 89 so far - looking good.
Keep your fingers crossed.
Greg
PS now printing ABS and still looking good - head at 220 (+0.2 to -0.7) and bed at 100 (+0.1 to -0.8)
PPS print finished fine. I shall incorporate the fix in my config file

It sounds to me that your supply voltage is low or the hot end heater power is low. You may need to increase the W parameter in the M301 H1 command to get higher temperatures.

January 19, 2016 03:44AM
Hi, I encountered the same heater error issue upgrading 'Morerod', my extended axes RS red Ormerod 1, to 1.09.

I followed Ian's step 3) which has fixed this issue, but I now cannot get the z probing to work, the values fluctuate wildly.

At the same time as upgrade the firmware I also (at last) added the RRP modulated z sensor. I got that working seemingly well last night, before applying fix 3) above, but this morning after applying the fix, the z probing seems to trigger at random points, even very high off the bed.

It is a cold morning, with minimal stray IR btw.

Ideas please? Is the fix 3) above having an unintended consequence, or is it unrelated?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login