Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stock Extruder feed rate

Posted by veryevil 
Stock Extruder feed rate
July 24, 2015 01:35PM
Hi, I'm using DC42's latest code branch on an Ormerod 2 with the stock 0.5mm nozzle and extruder (not quick-set). I'm also using DC42s diff IR board and single piece fan mount.

I've lifted my z axis to 10mm and set the temp to 210 deg C and then using the Web interface I am using the extrude buttons to check out my extruder using PLA.

If I go above 10mm/s feed rate I get slippage and there seems to be a delay before the material comes out. I tried temps from 200 - 230 which should be enough for PLA?

Printers running at the min but pretty sure my Extruder current is 1000mA. Do I need more? Is there any mods or should I be looking to get a new extruder? Quickset? E3D V6?

Cheers
Re: Stock Extruder feed rate
July 24, 2015 01:41PM
Why do you want to go above 10mm/sec feed rate? That is the feed rate of 1.75mm into the extruder. The corresponding rate of extrusion out of the nozzle is about 10 times higher, so enough for printing at up to around 100mm/sec.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 24, 2015 02:29PM
To be honest I just assumed since the controls were there there must be a reason.

I thought that some machines would be capable of higher speeds and thought mine must be struggling if it only did the lowest.

I'll have this do some speed tests for printing because at the min I run at about 50mm/s and if I use the speed control on the web interface it tends to cock up at 130%
July 24, 2015 06:10PM
The higher speeds on the web interface are useful for loading and unloading filament, not for actual extrusion. I really don't think there need to be so many different speeds. I use 5mm/sec to test extrusion and 60mm/sec for loading and unloading filament, never anything in between.

If the extruder motor is skipping steps at high print speeds, you could increase the current to 1200mA. But I find 1000mA sufficient for my prints.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2015 06:12PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 25, 2015 12:55AM
Skipping of the extruder motor can also be caused by the filament itself (roundness/ thickness) or if the nozzle is too deep caused by a wrong z-axis height or warping. You may also try a spring loaded extruder which gives more grip and reduces skipping. Personally I only use feed rates of 5 or 10 mm/s at web-interface to test extrusion or retraction after I loaded/ unloaded the spool.
But at print speeds of 50mm/s and above you get artifacts. Not really dramatically as long as you do not have detailed prints but you can see them. And 230°C is way too high for the most PLA.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
July 27, 2015 09:24AM
My extruder starts skipping on long wide extrusions at about 70mm/s print speed, so I usually print at around 60mm/s print speed (and 120mm/s move speed). From what you say, it seems that you have about the same limit on your printer, so I would say that it is correct.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login