Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aluminum Heat Bed and RRP Proximity Sensor

Posted by atheimer 
Aluminum Heat Bed and RRP Proximity Sensor
July 29, 2015 10:19AM
Hi All,

I recently added the modulated IR sensor from RRP to my Prusa I3 Duet Conversion and thought I would post about my experience. It was actually a pretty simple process to get it working once I figured out how everything was supposed to be wired. Here's a look at my electronics:

Compared to the stock installation manual I had to switch the pins around on the 3 prong connector so that ground & positive were on the right pins up top. Once I made that change things started working. I am also still using a mechanical endstop for my x-axis as I wasn't really sure how the proximity sensor would work and the z-height was my primary concern.

I am using a temporary mount that has the sensor about 2mm off the bed.

I couldn't find any prior knowledge on how the sensor would work with aluminum so I was a little concerned but it seems to work just fine.
I've printed several parts and the z-height has been perfect every time so I'm crossing my fingers the days of "paper-sliding" are almost over.

I know this doesn't quite fit the Ormerod thread but I think this is the place most Duet folks hang out at and hopefully someone will find this helpful.
Re: Aluminum Heat Bed and RRP Proximity Sensor
July 29, 2015 11:55AM
Nice mod! The sensor should work fine on bare aluminium, or through Kapton-on-aluminium; it's what we do with our Huxley Duo printer. It's if you put glass on it that there's a problem; the glass is invisible, so it sees the aluminium underneath! As the probe is most accurate in the 2 to 4mm range, the glass is too thick to get a good reading, so we put paper targets on top of the glass.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
July 29, 2015 08:56PM
Quick tip with the RRP probe... when it gets knocked it screws up the homing, and by knocked it can include a failed print getting caught up in the head!

So, I've made this block that reinforces and protects the probe unit, its a 5 minute print that can save you a lot of wondering why your Z heights are suddenly screwy!

[www.thingiverse.com]
July 31, 2015 10:39AM
Very useful, thanks much!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login