Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Valid Browsers

Posted by sinnedwrong 
Valid Browsers
August 03, 2015 08:26AM
Up till now I have been using Pronterface to get going with my new printer but got bored using the touchpad so plugged in a USB mouse. That was fine until I unplugged the printer and when reconnecting Windows 8.1 couldn't find it. Sorted that by unplugging the mouse and then plugging the printer in followed by the mouse. All fine now but decided I should try out the browser/Ethernet connection.

Using Internet Explorer 11with a fixed IP and the Ethernet port bridged to the WiFi network I can connect, see the printer on my home network and print off of the SD card from the browser, however nothing is updated on the screen, (temp, position, progress through print etc) and if I try to upload and print nothing happens and examining the SD card the file I attempted to upload isn't on it (? should it be).

My suspicion is the problem is with IE11 (maybe Edge will be better but hats for another day) so the question is what browsers if any apart from Chrome and Firefox work and is there a preference between these 2.

I suppose I should add I don't have any Unix OS's here so Safari isn't an option

TIA
Re: Valid Browsers
August 03, 2015 08:38AM
IE11 displays the web interface properly, but although the web interface is fully HTML5-compatible, IE doesn't call certain events the web interface expects. That's why some things don't work in IE.

I've been using Firefox with the new web interface, but Chrome should work just as well. It's up to you which one you choose, just try to avoid IE smiling smiley
August 03, 2015 09:20PM
Problem with IE is Microsoft decided they wanted to redefine HTML5 so consequently IE has the lowest HTML5 compatibility of all PC browsers, with only Safari being marginally worse!

Strongly recommend you look at chrome or opera, even Microsoft have decided its time to dropkick IE.... but the early benchmarks suggest that Edge will not be a great deal better (if not worse!), I suspect that they have just dropkicked the name and repackaged the same old turd with a new interface and name and doubled the memory and CPU requirements!

[html5test.com]
[www.expertreviews.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 01:01AM by bgkdavis.
August 04, 2015 07:19AM
bgkdavis
Problem with IE is Microsoft decided they wanted to redefine HTML5 so consequently IE has the lowest HTML5 compatibility of all PC browsers, with only Safari being marginally worse!

Strongly recommend you look at chrome or opera, even Microsoft have decided its time to dropkick IE.... but the early benchmarks suggest that Edge will not be a great deal better (if not worse!), I suspect that they have just dropkicked the name and repackaged the same old turd with a new interface and name and doubled the memory and CPU requirements!

[html5test.com]
[www.expertreviews.co.uk]

I have just put Win10 on a spare PC to test. The automatic upgrade from Win7 worked flawlessly but took 1.5 hours on a slow PC. So far nothing looks broken except a radio dongle program (SDR#) which I think I will be able to fix. I haven't tried Edge on the Duet yet, but as AdBlock does not appear to work on it, it will not be the browser I will use to any great extent anyway. When I have tried Edge on the Duet I'll report the results.

Dave
August 04, 2015 09:34AM
I had more trouble and at least two programs quit work after upgrading to W10. I needed two installations. Besides that it looks great and it was no fault to update my W8.1 even though I have not been using it very much - I stay at Linux, I think so.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
August 04, 2015 12:45PM
Treito
I had more trouble and at least two programs quit work after upgrading to W10. I needed two installations. Besides that it looks great and it was no fault to update my W8.1 even though I have not been using it very much - I stay at Linux, I think so.

W10 is worrying regarding privacy and control - the home edition does not allow you to stop updates from installing and it automatically sends your wi-fi password to all your "friends" if you have a social media account - and a lot of other personal data is automatically sent to Microsoft's "cloud" servers by default after the upgrade. Plus it "helps" you by automatically displaying stuff from your folders on the desktop without asking - my desktop had a slideshow of all my satellite weather images that I really did not want to see all the time but it could be far worse - I just read that after leaving the family PC to upgrade overnight, the wife of one poor chap awoke to find a rolling slideshow of all her husband's "adult" pictures on the desktop! That's besides charging you money for stuff that is free in all other versions (such as games), and inbuilt adware that delivers localised adverts to your desktop. I think it is likely to make Linux more popular.

Dave
August 04, 2015 06:28PM
Here's a tip for early adopters of windows 10...DONT!

If your a low grade user, ie surfing internet using office then fine, but once your computer is doing actual work I emphatically advise you to leave it for 6 months and learn the pitfalls and give MS an opportunity to fix things before corrupting your working computer with a new OS.

Even if Edge doesn't have any functional issues, I wont be using it.

I disagree about Linux popularity, computer users can be divided between those using specific programs and applications on a professional basis that more or less dictate which OS, and the generic users. Generic users are platform mobile, they can more or less equally do what they do on any device or OS, and most of these have already moved on, or are happily hopping between platforms as it suits. Of the OS tied users the smart ones are those who held on to Windows XP and Windows 7 avoiding Vista and 8, and will be cautious about 10 until reports prove them otherwise, the less smart are rushing to 'up'grade to windows 10....... there is actually a third group, lets call them the savvy Linux users, these are the ones reading this with indignation and are probably already writing their 'Linux can do anything Windows can do rebuff', well fine, but the problem is, whilst you are probably technically correct, the simple truth is most people just don't have the time and cant be bothered when the windows path is already well trodden and proven, and risking your professional life on a Linux fans assurances is a dangerous move.

At the end of the day, I've been looking at the Linux Penguin for over 20 years now,and since the very start I've heard how it was going to blow Windows out the water, yet during this time its adoption has been marginal at best, meanwhile Android is only 6 years old and made far more impact in its first few years than Linux ever will.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 08:43PM by bgkdavis.
August 05, 2015 04:56AM
I don't have a problem with Safari on Mac OS X. I have to 'Connect' (it doesn't do it automatically), but apart from that it seems fine. Also iPad and iPhone Safari browsers work fine, as do Android-based phones we've tried.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
August 05, 2015 05:13AM
I use safari 8.0.7 on OS X 10.10.4, and visually, there is no problem.
In depth however, it seems to not loading parameters from javascript (language, timings, display options, ...)

By the way, the machine is controlled perfectly, only "visual" problems

With Firefox 39.0, no problem with javascript.
August 05, 2015 10:59AM
I'd love to ditch Windows and use Linux. The reason I don't is lack of hardware drivers and applications. I try a Linux version about 3 times a year to see if I could use it, but so far there is always something that is a show-stopper. Maybe the soundcard driver does not support surround sound properly, or the graphics driver does not support 3D over HDMI, or the only decent PCB layout tools, utilities for setting up my quadcopter controller and BluRay authoring/burning applications etc. are either Windows only or are so complex that you need a PhD in the relevant discipline to use them (such as Gnu-radio for my SDR dongles). It's chicken-and-egg. The hardware vendors and programmers won't support Linux fully until it is used by more people, and people won't use Linux until it is supported by all the hardware vendors and there are more programs available.

You are correct regarding W10 - I upgraded a "don't care" PC just to try it, but I won't be upgrading my main PCs. W8.1 is not that bad (it has better SSD support than earlier versions), but I mainly use WXP and W7 at home.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login