Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windows 10 may affect your Printing & Slic3r Bug

Posted by KimBrown 
Windows 10 may affect your Printing & Slic3r Bug
August 27, 2015 04:19PM
Recently I took advantage of upgrading my Windows 8.1 Laptop (i7 processor) to Windows 10. And to be honest it's been fairly good, except for a couple of things.
I should point out I have two Laptops here, and I haven't upgraded the one I use for printing so this is just a guess, but....
The Windows 10 laptop I needed to use in a hurry before going out one evening. I turned it on, and 10 minutes later it finally finished installing an Update...
Great that made me late. Then I noticed eary now and again the Laptop was doing something in the background.... The software I was running was becoming
jerky, and then cleared up.... Another Update.... Jzzzz! Ok so lets disable the Auto update..... Here's the Bite, you can't turn off updates in Windows 10, well not easily.
In 8.1 you can stop auto updates via the control panel. In windows 10 you have to dig further and turn off the Update process via the settings.
I'm resisting upgrading the Printers Laptop for now untill they get to grips with this. I spend 1/2 my time on poor mobile networks, so it is particularly important to
me to turn off updates. Had I been printing via a network connection or USB (not advisable either way) then the print would have been ruined.
Think before you leap on Windows 10. It's ashame cos apart from that I quite like it.

Also the new Slic3r software is pretty good too.... However there is a Bug in it... Load an STL in to it (a Bigger one preferably), then go and adjust some settings....
Slic3r crashes.... The reason seems to be that to cut down on time and speed up the process, it starts to slice STLs as soon as they are loaded.
Adjust or check your settings before loading in an STL and you won't get a crash.... Apart from that Bug, it's fine...

(Oh BTW I'm in the process of giving my poor old Ormerod a complete service as it's worked real hard this last year, and the quality finally dropped off. It's nearly back to 100% now.
Still printing on glass here, but have stopped cleaning the glass with vinegar, as it makes the adhesion to great, and pulls bits out of the glass).
Happy Printing...
Kim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 04:20PM by KimBrown.

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
Re: Windows 10 may affect your Printing & Slic3r Bug
August 27, 2015 07:47PM
This is the big change with WIndows 10, MS have abandoned their policy of releasing step change products, and instead with windows 10 have adopted a gradual evolution policy, where they have stated windows 10 will be the last edition of windows ever, and they will just continually evolve the product, and naturally the automatic update process will be a key feature of this strategy......

.... unfortunately I'm not a fan of this idea, I work heavily on control systems and frequently use a Windows PC as part of that system, and in my experience, when someone calls me to say their system has suddenly stopped working, its as often as not because they installed a windows update!

As a matter of policy I always turn updating off when delivering a new control system, and I also restrict the users ability to change anything on the computer itself and my reasoning is that when I test and deliver a control system it has been tested with the OS and software as was available at the time, and if there were any issues I engineered a solution to them before delivery, and as long as no-one changes anything the customer can normally expect that machine to continue functioning as it was delivered.

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
August 27, 2015 11:05PM
I'm for sure going to get windows 10 pro and not home. Pro and above still has the ability to deny updates (I think), but home forces auto updates and force installs security updates regardless of what you might be doing.

I don't know, I have mixed feelings about 10, in some ways it's fixed a lot of issues I had with 8 & 8.1 but I think I'll wait a bit to try it out... and I'll probably only switch over when I have to buy a new computer
August 28, 2015 08:05AM
You can turn off updates BUT you probably want to get the updates that fix bugs and vulnerabilities so it's not a good thing to do. One big issue (amongst others) that has stopped me upgrading any of my PC's apart from a "don't care" laptop is that unlike previous versions there is no distinction between "important" updates and "optional" updates, or the option to install on demand so you can pick and choose what updates to install and what not to install. Some devices I use need a bespoke or older driver, but every time W10 looks for updates (at least once a day), it replaces all the drivers with what it thinks is the latest. For example, I have a cheap USB TV receiver dongle that I use to receive non-TV VHF and UHF (e.g. airband and amateur band signals) by using a bespoke 3rd party driver. W10 keeps replacing that driver (without asking) with the manufacturer's original driver designed only for analogue TV reception, and the only way to prevent it that I can see is to turn off all Windows updates. It's quite possible therefore that you'll find your Duet or Arduino USB driver getting suddenly replaced with something inappropriate with no indication that it has happened except that things stop working.

Dave
August 28, 2015 10:15AM
I cannot turn off security updates and I have Windows 10 Pro. It forbids me to turn all off, I can only turn off the harmless updates but the real important updates will still be downloaded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2015 10:16AM by Treito.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
August 28, 2015 12:59PM
Updates are just as likely to be installing adware, payware or various restrictions as anything to do with what the user wants, in line with Microsoft now seeing its OS as a "service" (i.e. you have to pay continuously for a service). I will not be at all surprised if MS eventually moves to the model where all application developers must be registered with MS and submit their applications for approval, otherwise they cannot be installed. I kicked myself when I allowed my bluray player to auto-update its firmware, and discovered that the main purpose of the update was to prevent the playing of downloaded media that had previously worked fine, and it was not possible to revert to the previous firmware. Don't assume that updates are always designed to benefit the user.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login