Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod 2 from Replikeo - experience?

Posted by Flowhow 
Ormerod 2 from Replikeo - experience?
September 06, 2015 08:06AM
Hey, I searched the forum but only found experiences about the Presa i3 from Replikeo.

I'm about to buy the ormerod 2 as kit as my first 3d printer.
It's cheap and sounds like good printing quality.

I'm from Germany, I can buy it here for 575€.
Then I found replikeo. With duty and all the other costs, I have to pay around 360€. That's a big difference.

So: i read the thread of the Preusa and saw there was poor quality and missing items - a year ago-

Has anyone bought the ormerod from them and can tell me his experience?

Thanks
Re: Ormerod 2 from Replikeo - experience?
September 06, 2015 09:22AM
Hi, I have just received my Ormerod 2 from Replikeo.
I bought it from 3dPrintersOnlineStore. It cost me $430 with free shipping.
Don't expect 1-5 days shipping that they quote. It was supposed to be sent by DHL but was actually shipped by EMS. That might actually be better since in the past I have been charged £100 for customs handling. The UK post office held on to the parcel for a week before submitting it for customs clearance but only charged £13 for the clearance. I was charged £26 VAT on top of the £13. So the total cost to me was about £325 (445 Euro) which include 3% foreign currency Credit Card charge.

If you look at the 3dprinters.... web site you will see 6 reviews of the product.

I have just looked at the Replikeo web site and I see that thy have reduced their price and the shipping charges. It is now cheaper to go direct to Replikeo.

Incidentally I ordered my Rep.. Ormerod2 on 8Aug15, Replikeo shipped it on 18Aug15 and after our UK postage delays and a national holiday I received it on 1 sept 15

I don't know what revision the kit from Replikeo is. I intend to ask them before I start building. Also, since they only sell Duel v0.6, I suspect that that is the version that will be shipped with the kit. No real problem unless you intend to do dual extruder. This is my first 3dPrinter so I am using it as a learning experience. Oh, there is a resistor which should have its value changed. I think its 1k from 4.7k but that is off the top of my head and would be better researched to find out which one and what value. With a bit of luck someone will come up here and give us the answer.

I hope all that helps a little.
Cannot help further as the kit is still in it's well backed box
September 06, 2015 10:20AM
So I am also from Germany, but how do you think 360€ are enough? Far far away.
It costs 287,01€ actually. You have to add 59,86€ shipping costs at minimum. Taxes are 19% on both so in sum 412.77€. Customs is hard to say. The worst case would be also 19% on the price without taxes so you finally end at: 478.68€. Or something between 412€ and 480€ as I do not have the customs tarif here.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
September 06, 2015 10:29AM
I woukd stick with the original kilo from RRP, maybe soon they make an offer like few months ago ;-)

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
September 06, 2015 10:34AM
287€ + 19% MwSt + 1.7% duty = round 350€
Shipping cost is free. (their page says that)
I'll order 2 so they offered me a discount of -10$ on the price of two.
What do you mean with BOTH?

Kann man hier privat schreiben? Dann schreib mich mal an.
September 06, 2015 10:44AM
Replikeo has some little problems with the customs declarations. I was forced to pick up the parcel at the customs as the declaration was wrong.
The Duet board is a little bit older so some parameters has to be changed from 4700 to 1000 as the resistors only have 1 Ohms resitsant instead of 4700 Ohms. That is no problem as the Duet board changed and Replikeo sells an older Revision. It works fine with my Ormerod MK1 as replacement for my broken Duet and I am now waiting for the Duet for my forthcoming printer.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
September 06, 2015 10:48AM
Shipping is only free until you put in a destination. For the UK it is $56.
There is no import duty just VAT for 3d printers...at least not according to an internet page I have read.

Costs add up as follows Printer $325+shipping $56 (to the UK I assume Germany is similar) + 3% Credit Card Fees =$411 (366 Euro).
I estimate that you would pay in total about 410 Euro. Saving about 165 Euro.
September 06, 2015 10:53AM
We have 19% VAT here that has to be paid on shipping, too. So at least without customs you have to pay 412.77€. I tried it to get the shipping costs. paypal for eaxmple is free. I ordered My Duet board from Replikeo and I know what I have paid for.

September 06, 2015 11:03AM
I don't think we will argue about 2.77 euro!!
September 06, 2015 11:06AM
No, but you did not mention the VAT above. But what about the customs itself? Okay for my duet I did not pay customs but for a complete 3D-Printer?

September 06, 2015 11:36AM
I said that the cost of the parts plus shipping and CC charges should be about 366 Euro. I estimated that the all up price (including VAT) would be about 410Euro.
The VAT amount will depend upon the declared value and shipping charges. Replikeo under state these to reduce VAT and customs (0 in this case ) charges.

Customs charges are not applicable to 3d Printers in Germany. At least so my information tells me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2015 11:38AM by BriComp.
September 06, 2015 11:41AM
Sorry that I did not get it as I am not that fluent in English. But you used a higher value for the printer and added also 3% credit card fee so I assumed that you did not calculated the VAT as it was not mentioned in your calculation example. Shipping is also higher if you do not want to wait for 60-90 days. So I am not able to see how you got the price of 410€.

September 06, 2015 12:03PM
Current price of printer kit $319.99 ( price has reduced by $5.01 since I had previously looked)
Carriage..............................$56.03 (EMS 3-10 days to UK, I assume Germany is similar )
..........................................------------
Total...................................$376.02
Total Euro............................337.33Euro
VAT @ 19%...........................64.09Euro
Customs...................................0.00Euro See VAT and Duty (Customs) Calculator
CC Charges on 337.33............10.12Euro

Total Cost ..............................411.54Euro

I suspect things have changed since you bought yours Treito. Kit cost and Shipping costs have come down and shipping is much quicker than previously. In my case it took 3 weeks to reach me in the UK and that includes a week where the UK postal service was just sitting on the package doing nothing.
September 06, 2015 12:12PM
I never bought an Ormerod there. I have put an Ormerod 2 into the basket. Shipping costs are higher to Germany actual. Roughly 60€. I only bought a Duet, a PSU, proximity switches and some small parts some months ago. My calculation is based on the actual values from today.

September 06, 2015 12:19PM

Totally other shipping costs.

September 06, 2015 12:20PM
I showed shipping as $56.03 which is 62.26 Euro!!
So my sums are correct.
September 06, 2015 12:31PM
I just put a dummy order through to a German address. The total including shipping (Using EMS Packet-their recommendation) came to 337.27 Euro.
So since they are quoting a price in Euro there would be no CC currency charges, saving a further 10Euro.
September 06, 2015 12:55PM
56,02$ are actual 50,26€!!!

September 06, 2015 12:57PM
Treito
[attachment 61606 Delivery.png]

Totally other shipping costs.

And why I am getting these values?

September 06, 2015 01:01PM
That is the second cheapest I can choose. Otherwise delivery time of 60-90 days. EMS demands 109€!

September 06, 2015 01:41PM
Cahnging the address is not enough at the shop. The shipping costs will not be updated until you are registering a new E-Mail-Address. I got free shipping to Germany as I was logged out.

September 08, 2015 09:02AM
Okay so whats the printer actually like? For me it works out at AU$580 shipped or i can get a "genuine" ReprapPro Ormerod 2 locally for $880. Im wondering if its worth the extra in the long run.
September 11, 2015 06:00AM
I guess it depends what you need the printer for.

If it's as a learning device then Replikeo would seem to be the way to go. Should there be any problems ( I am not saying there will be ) you will learn massively from solving them.

If you want to produce items as soon as possible then perhaps the RepRapPro way is the way to go. I would query whether a kit build is the best way to go in this case. Kits seem to have more problems and lower good print rate than some "Ready Built" systems.

For instance a local, to the UK, company is selling the FlashForge Dreamer for £599 into education. Having looked at reviews for this printer it seems to work "straight out of the box". I understand that this includes parents purchasing for their children to learn the 3d printing process.

I myself fall into the first category ( learning process ) and have purchased an Ormerod 2 from Replikeo. When I enquired what build number the kit was they replied as follows "The Ormerod 2 kit that we supply should correspond to ReprapPro's 528.4 version. We currently don't supply the quick set nozzle."

I have not started building yet, the kit is still in it's box.

I hope that helps.
September 11, 2015 08:57AM
Hi.
I just finished assembling my Replikeo kit. This was my first printer assembled from a kit so I can't compare this kit to other sources.
I've had a Solidoodle 2 for ~3 years so I (mostly) knew what I was doing.

Notes and impressions:
- I did not have any issues with shipping to the US.
- They have a supplement to the Reprap assembly instructions. For the most part, this helped me with any differences I found.
- The kit was nicely organized, with all the hardware in little ziplock bags, labeled with the part description.
- quality of the printed parts was excellent, All the holes were slightly undersized. I drilled out the ones where it seemed OK to have it loose, but left some of them as-is to allow the machine screws to bite into the part for a tighter fit
- the lasercut parts were wooden, not acrylic. For the most part, this was OK. It seemed like the holes on a couple parts were oversized. The y axis rods slide easily through the holes, rather than being snug. I am holding them in place with tape now. For a couple others, I thought the machine screw was meant to self-thread, but the hole was too big.. However, I don't know if this is really the Omerod 2 design, or something introduced by changing material. I'll probably replace the X-axis parts with another material, since my basement is damp in the summer.
- cable harnesses/looms were fully assembled and were OK, overall. I did have one problem with a connector pin for the heater cable not seating properly. But that's about it. The wire colors were occasionally different than shown in the Reprap assembly page.
Note that the photo showing the motor connections to the Duet is wrong. The connectors are upside down (yellow should be on top, as shown in the Reprap instructions). I had some exciting moments during commissioning when everything homed in the wrong direction
- my z axis height finder reads much lower than the Reprap instructions describe. Not a big deal, but I spent a bit of time debugging this.
- the power supply does not seem to match the lasercut mounting brackets. The holes don't line up on one side. But the power supply seems very capable, even when heating the bed to 110.
- the print surface was fiberglass. I tried to use it for a while, but I recently replaced it with a glass plate from the hardware store.

TL,DR: Seems like a good kit. Some minor differences, but worth it for the price difference, in my opinion.
Hope this helps.
September 11, 2015 12:02PM
Thanks for this detailed description. Your X-Arm was also wooden? How stable is it? Do you have shielded cables and the shields for the motors and so on?

September 11, 2015 04:53PM
To be specific, the x-axis-plate and x-rib were wooden. It seems to be stable enough. As I said, I'm a little worried about long term warping, though.
Yes, many of the cable bundles were shielded. It was very tidy.
September 11, 2015 05:09PM
Maybe you can take some pictures. I am curious how this looks like and if this is an option for my forthcoming Omerord.

September 13, 2015 12:14PM
Oops. Feeling a little foolish.
For a month now, I thought the parts were some kind of wooden hardboard with factory markings on the side (see attached photo). Turns out this was the protective wrapper on parts made out of plastic (I assume acrylic).
There are a couple wooden parts, such as the bed housing (see 2nd attached photo), but now I am not worried about warping of anything critical.

Sorry if I misled anyone.
-Jeff

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2015 04:13PM by jreut.
September 13, 2015 01:01PM
jreut
Oops. Feeling a little foolish.
For a month now, I thought the parts were some kind of wooden hardboard with factory markings on the side (see attached photo). Turns out this was the protective wrapper on parts made out of plastic (I assume acrylic)....

Easy mistake, a picture of Dario's Bamboo beauty:

...but now I am not worried about warping of anything critical...

Quite a big print you have going and on glass directly as far as I can see - I for one would be a bit worried about that

howto attach pictures (and make them viewable)

Attach a file
Choose...(will send to your pc's filesystem, find the file, chose "open file")
Attach
Create link in message (first, place the cursor in the message window where you want the picture to appear)

Erik
September 13, 2015 04:54PM
Thanks for the tip on "link in message". I edited my previous post.

Yes, I was running a large test print using the full 8" bed width just to see how it turned out..
ABS, 230C hot end temp, 110C bed temp. Hairspray on glass, 10% fill, 2 bottom layers, .24mm layers

I am getting some lifting in each of the corners. I've neer been able to elimate this completely for large prints. Maybe I need a big enclosure to drop over the top, like I had for my Solidoodle.

(Yes, that is my face instead of Han Solo's)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login