Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod 2 from Replikeo - experience?

Posted by Flowhow 
Re: Ormerod 2 from Replikeo - experience?
September 14, 2015 01:47AM
I took a look at the instructions manual from Replikeo. I would have been astonished if the Acrylic parts would have been wooden parts.
Besides I am not happy with the wiring of the Duet board.
To be more precise I was nearly falling from the chair as I saw how they connect the 12V from the 5V board to the Duet board. Do they really use blank copper strands from a flexible wire? A bunch of blank thin copper wires? If the conductor would be a massive one this would be okay at least but flexible? The risk of a short circuit is very high as they also not use wire ends or at least solder the ends.
And can you please take a picture from the bottom of the Duet board especially the connectors? Some here in the board as problems with some damaged connections.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
September 14, 2015 07:13AM
ormerod168
howto attach pictures (and make them viewable)

Attach a file
Choose...(will send to your pc's filesystem, find the file, chose "open file")
Attach
Create link in message (first, place the cursor in the message window where you want the picture to appear)

Erik

Unfortunately it does not work for all OS/browser versions for some reason. The attach works, but not the embedding of the link. I have to change to a different browser to embed photos.

Dave
September 14, 2015 10:41AM
dmould
Unfortunately it does not work for all OS/browser versions for some reason. The attach works, but not the embedding of the link. I have to change to a different browser to embed photos.

Dave

Strange, works for me with all browsers installed

Erik
September 15, 2015 07:59AM
ormerod168
dmould

Dave

Erik

Though you wisely do not use IE, which is the one that gives me problems (I.E. 11) :-)

Dave
September 15, 2015 08:25AM
IE is not a browser it is a curse.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
September 18, 2015 10:30PM
Treito

Here is a photo of how the power board attaches. I'm not sure you can see it, but I did NOT leave bare wires; I made sure some insulation covered any exposed wire. And, I substituted some solid wire which I had laying around.

Is this the area you wanted a picture.of?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2015 10:35PM by jreut.
September 19, 2015 03:42AM
Many thanks. That is the area. I did not say that you attend to left blank wires but the documentation from Replikeo shows blank ones. This is the point I cannot believe.

September 21, 2015 07:29AM
Treito
Many thanks. That is the area. I did not say that you attend to left blank wires but the documentation from Replikeo shows blank ones. This is the point I cannot believe.

It would be perfectly OK to leave bare wires over the very short distance between the two terminal blocks. There is no risk of a short over that distance, and even if it were a high voltage (which it is not), it would not be a shock hazard because you could not fit a finger between the gap.

Dave
September 21, 2015 07:32AM
Yes but you have many small conductors. It is not easy to fit them into the terminals and also they may break easily. Accoring to VDE it is not allowed to use blank wires in screwed terminals without any end connectors. Soldering is only allowed for low voltages. If the wire would have been soldered I could live with that, but blank?

September 21, 2015 08:41AM
Treito
Yes but you have many small conductors. It is not easy to fit them into the terminals and also they may break easily. Accoring to VDE it is not allowed to use blank wires in screwed terminals without any end connectors. Soldering is only allowed for low voltages. If the wire would have been soldered I could live with that, but blank?

In that position I would use thick single core wires. No need for them to be insulated due to the very short unsupported length. Soldering it not good practice for wires in a screw terminal because the solder, being soft, gradually squeezes flat and becomes loose - a crimped ferrule is the accepted way of holding stranded wire in a terminal block. A single thick copper wire is also OK.

Dave
September 21, 2015 08:52AM
I never solder wires for screw terminals. I use always some type of crimping. But For my new Ormerod I extra bought some meters of 5x2.5mm² NYM-J even though I will need only 1 cm. But you cannot have enough spare. grinning smiley
I am not happy about the documentation. If there had been insulation and some type of crimping everything would have been good. Some years ago a service engineer was in China to commission a wind energy plant from our company (where I worked before). He told us that even the main power lines were not insulated. 500V AC - nothing to be concern of.

September 21, 2015 08:56AM
Insulation is used to prevent wires shorting out against something, and preventing a shock hazard. If the wires cannot move enough to touch anything conductive and there is no shock hazard because the wires are either low voltage or inaccessible, there is no need for insulation. The wires on high voltage pylons are not insulated!

Dave
September 21, 2015 09:30AM
Let me say that in that way: He had to watch out not to touch the wires as he would have get shocked and I saw pictures. If I would do such kind of installation the next step would be going into prison. If you have for example a light switch and nearby there is a voltage line for sockets - blank. And that was a harmless example.

September 21, 2015 12:30PM
Treito
Let me say that in that way: He had to watch out not to touch the wires as he would have get shocked and I saw pictures. If I would do such kind of installation the next step would be going into prison. If you have for example a light switch and nearby there is a voltage line for sockets - blank. And that was a harmless example.

Only if the installation is readily accessible to unqualified personnel. Open the cover on your household MDB and you may well see a perfectly legal uninsulated copper tie-bar at mains potential. Take the cover off a PC PSU and you will also see bare connectors (on the PCcool smiley at mains voltage. A broadcast transmitter I worked on (albeit many years ago when regulations were less strict) had a walk-in room that had a copper bar at head-height that carried over 1kV to the output valves - the only protection was a large sign on the access door that read "Danger of death - Isolate supply before entering." Next to my home is an open electricity sub-station that has exposed terminals on its large high-voltage transformer that are within arms-reach of the ground. The only protection is a 5 foot high wooden fence around the transformer (with warning signs).

Dave
September 21, 2015 02:05PM
dmould
ormerod168
dmould

Dave

Erik

Though you wisely do not use IE, which is the one that gives me problems (I.E. 11) :-)

Dave

Oh dear - I'll light a candle for you!

Erik
September 25, 2015 10:59AM
Has anybody made bad experineces with the support like me?
First they did not answer and also no automatically generated e-mail that it can take some time until you get an answer. Then I sent them a kindly reminder. After that I got an e-mail that they will contact me the next 24h. Guess what? They did not answer even after 48h. So if I write I would get in touch then I should get in touch. This is the second time as I got trouble with the customs with my order. I ordered several parts. The customs declaration consists of "Device parts" and shipping costs with a total sum that was also wrong (as some parts was lowered in price shortly after my order. They promised to send me a new customs declaration via e-mail the next day as I needed this urgently for the customs here in Germany. This next day was 3 months ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login