Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New firmware 1.09k-dc42

Posted by dc42 
New firmware 1.09k-dc42
September 20, 2015 12:51PM
I have just released new firmware at [github.com] (follow the link, then press Raw to download it). Highlights of this release include configurable travel speed when bed probing, support for the M42 (set pin state) command, a significant improvement in upload speed to the SD card, and bug fixes relating to the G4 and G92 E0 commands. For the full change list, see [forums.reprap.org].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: New firmware 1.09k-dc42
September 21, 2015 09:20AM
I'm presently using 1.09i and still find that some circles and curves print very jerkily. I can't determine exactly what triggers it - some circles print smoothly, but others that are only slightly bigger or smaller are jerky. Print speed does not appear to make any difference to the issue (though the slower the speed the less print quality problems it causes). I am guessing that it is something to do with the length and/or angle between the segments. If you are not experiencing this issue, could you say what acceleration values you have set - I have a feeling it may be something to do with that. Yesterday I had the issue on a part after I modified the radius of a circular section from 15mm to 15.5mm - the original part printed smoothly, the modified part was extremely jerky (creating blobs on the perimeter).

The issue occurs almost always on the skirt of S3D generated code when it contains a circular section - the skirt prints jerkily but not usually the circular perimeter of the print itself. Curves in the skirt are generally low-resolution (not made up of as many segments as the print).

Dave
September 21, 2015 12:05PM
dmould
I'm presently using 1.09i and still find that some circles and curves print very jerkily. I can't determine exactly what triggers it - some circles print smoothly, but others that are only slightly bigger or smaller are jerky. Print speed does not appear to make any difference to the issue (though the slower the speed the less print quality problems it causes). I am guessing that it is something to do with the length and/or angle between the segments. If you are not experiencing this issue, could you say what acceleration values you have set - I have a feeling it may be something to do with that. Yesterday I had the issue on a part after I modified the radius of a circular section from 15mm to 15.5mm - the original part printed smoothly, the modified part was extremely jerky (creating blobs on the perimeter).

The issue occurs almost always on the skirt of S3D generated code when it contains a circular section - the skirt prints jerkily but not usually the circular perimeter of the print itself. Curves in the skirt are generally low-resolution (not made up of as many segments as the print).

Dave

I belive its S3D's problem actualy ,I didnt have the jerky skirt till i started using S3D ,but i dont seem to have any problems doing circles in the print itself. Only the skirt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2015 12:05PM by Darathy.
September 21, 2015 12:36PM
Darathy
dmould

Dave

I belive its S3D's problem actualy ,I didnt have the jerky skirt till i started using S3D ,but i dont seem to have any problems doing circles in the print itself. Only the skirt.

Unless the g-code contains pause commands, I cannot see how such jerkiness can be caused by the slicing software. Sure, the head must slow almost to a halt if encountering a very large angular change of direction, but the circles I have seen the behaviour occur are not nearly that rough! It may well be that S3D's code is such that it triggers the condition while other slicers make skirts that are rougher or smoother and do not trigger it. I do not usually have problems in the print, but it did happen yesterday after a minor change to the design so is not absent, just less common.

Dave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2015 12:39PM by dmould.
September 21, 2015 12:40PM
There have been reports on the Google deltabot group that S3D has a habit of generating tiny moves that are only 1 microstep long, or that involve no movement at all. This is liable to overload the lookahead queue.

Dave M, please provide some simple examples of gcode with and without the jerky prinitng problem if you can, so that I can work out what is happening.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

September 21, 2015 12:42PM
dc42
There have been reports on the Google deltabot group that S3D has a habit of generating tiny moves that are only 1 microstep long, or that involve no movement at all. This is liable to overload the lookahead queue.

Dave M, please provide some simple examples of gcode with and without the jerky prinitng problem if you can, so that I can work out what is happening.

OK, I'll get an example posted this evening.

Dave
September 21, 2015 06:24PM
OK, attached is a test g-code that exhibits the issue. Made with S3D but hand edited so it will air-run. Openscad file also attached (not required to test). Run this with no filament loaded. No temperatures are set and cold extrude is permitted. No Z height is set. Home X and Y (or XYZ) and run the file with any nozzle height above the bed.

It prints two large circles (skirt) which on my Ormerod exhibits jerky behaviour. It then prints two circles (perimeters) that print smoothly.

Dave
Attachments:
open | download - Test.gcode (76.7 KB)
open | download - Test.scad (118 bytes)
September 21, 2015 07:07PM
Can you please post the factory file? I would like to test something.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
September 21, 2015 07:45PM
dmould
OK, attached is a test g-code that exhibits the issue. Made with S3D but hand edited so it will air-run. Openscad file also attached (not required to test). Run this with no filament loaded. No temperatures are set and cold extrude is permitted. No Z height is set. Home X and Y (or XYZ) and run the file with any nozzle height above the bed.

It prints two large circles (skirt) which on my Ormerod exhibits jerky behaviour. It then prints two circles (perimeters) that print smoothly.

Dave

Not sure if this is the same problem as I had, but I was using 79k (I think..... My Brain cell is sleeping at the moment), but I printed a few smaller circular items (tyres for 9mm bearings to make them 10mm if I recall), and there were 2 slots appeared in the prints (seam with no filament in).
that you could clearly see through. At the time I put it down to something else, and the items still worked so I didn't worry about it at the time. Just wondering if there's a flaw some where in the Trigonometry.

Years ago, in my heavy programming days....(I think the latest processor had started running on steam, instead of hot water).... I wanted to print some circles out on the screen (the size set by the program, and all the points were calculated), and I found at the 90',180',270' and 360'(aka 0') points it all went a bit silly. It turned out to be the sin, cosine, in memory tables that processors used, or the internal code used to calculate them.... They just couldn't come up with the correct answers at these 4 angles (i.e. when cos went from + to - was one). The solution I came up with was using an IF statement for those change over points, and hard wiring a value in to suit, rather than to use the Processors value. I don't know if this is the same problem as dmould(Dave) is talking about, but thought I'd mention it..... (Brain is in sleeping mode at the moment).
DC42 (Dave) probably is aware of it any way...
Kim...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
September 22, 2015 02:55AM
Hello, when I send an "M27" command, the 3D printer will allways return a "Not SD Printing" message no matter whether the printer is printing or not. And thus I cannot monitor the status of the printer. Is there any way to solve this problem?
Without that, the printer works well with your firmware.
September 22, 2015 05:02AM
I can't see anything wrong with the code, so I'll test M27 when I have the opportunity. Most people use the web interface to monitor the status of the printer.

September 22, 2015 05:51AM
Treito
Can you please post the factory file? I would like to test something.

What do you mean by "factory file"? I've attached the STL in case that's what you meant, but I posted the OpenScad file - you can just run that under OpenScad (free download from www.openscad.org) hit "F6" then export to STL.

Dave
Attachments:
open | download - Test.stl (323.5 KB)
September 22, 2015 06:10AM
Just run dmould's g file and the head moves at the lowest x position to give a movement in the positive direction.

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
September 22, 2015 06:15AM
I mean "File -> save factory file". But the .STL-file seems to be "clear" with no errors according to Simplify3D.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2015 06:17AM by Treito.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
September 25, 2015 11:57AM
Hi Dave. I have just upgraded to this firmware and i cannot use the Extruder control on the web interface. I can select feed amount and feed rates but i cannot get anything to happen when i click on retract or extrude?

Many Thanks.
Mick.
September 25, 2015 01:16PM
Mick747
Hi Dave. I have just upgraded to this firmware and i cannot use the Extruder control on the web interface. I can select feed amount and feed rates but i cannot get anything to happen when i click on retract or extrude?

Many Thanks.
Mick.

You have to heat the heater to 160+C to be able to extrude retract. Or send M302 P1 i think or P0 to enable cold extrusion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2015 01:20PM by Darathy.
September 25, 2015 01:16PM
Mick747

Many Thanks.
Mick.

Check the GCode Console tab. You will probably see a message saying either that you have no tool selected, or that the extruder is not up to temperature. If you have upgraded from a much older version of the firmware, you may not know about cold extrusion prevention.

September 25, 2015 03:18PM
Ok thanks guys will check tomorrow :-)
September 28, 2015 08:25AM
I noticed yesterday that the firmware no longer allows Z to go below -0.5mm This can affect manual Z homing (I have to compensate by issuing a G92 Z100 command before manually homing). I really don't see any need to limit Z negative movement on the Ormerod - if the nozzle crashes into the bed the nut simply unscrews from the trap with no damage. It's probably more needed on other printer types.

Dave
September 28, 2015 12:15PM
dmould
I noticed yesterday that the firmware no longer allows Z to go below -0.5mm This can affect manual Z homing (I have to compensate by issuing a G92 Z100 command before manually homing). I really don't see any need to limit Z negative movement on the Ormerod - if the nozzle crashes into the bed the nut simply unscrews from the trap with no damage. It's probably more needed on other printer types.

Dave

You can use the M208 S1 command to define whatever negative Z limit you want. The firmware limits don't take effect until you have homed anyway.

September 30, 2015 08:04AM
Hello,
same problem as Dmould!

The circles are made so jerkly that the resulting pieces are seriously compromised.
This was not happening while using the reprap as a plotter with the same firmware, there speeds were way lower and detail size greater. Also gcode was not slic3r geenrated but from Vcarve.

In the google drive folder linked here is a video of the issue, the stl of the parts and the gcode. [drive.google.com]

edit: video quality is awful, sorry, tho it may give you infos basing on the sound of the steppers motor during the jerky move, it goes beepbeepbeepbeeepbeeepbeepbeep VERY fast.
edit2: I also have a problem in manually zeroing the Z axis, it probably is from the maximum negative values allowed as someone said somewhere else

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2015 08:09AM by Ludo91.
September 30, 2015 08:59AM
There are a couple of causes of jerky circles:

1. Printing over USB instead of from SD card. Host programs such as Pronterface often can't feed gcodes to the printer fast enough. There are configuration options or patches for some host programs to help get a better data rate.

2. The XY acceleration and/or maximum jerk speeds may be configured too low in the firmware.

September 30, 2015 09:12AM
The machine is printing from SD card (it`s even disconnected from the PC), so I assume the problem must be in the only config file for speed and acc:

M201 X800 Y800 Z15 E1000 ; Accelerations (mm/s^2)
M203 X15000 Y15000 Z100 E3600 ; Maximum speeds (mm/min)
M566 X600 Y600 Z30 E20 ; Minimum speeds mm/minute
September 30, 2015 10:57AM
I use this:

M201 X1200 Y1200 Z20 E1000 ; set accelerations
M203 X15000 Y15000 Z250 E3600 ; set XYZ and extruder speeds
M566 X1800 Y1800 Z30 E20 ; Maximum instantaneous speed changes mm/minute

The M566 instantaneous speed change setting is probably the critical one.

September 30, 2015 04:24PM
Thanks I`ll give it a try on Friday

By the way, I just found out that also in "default.g" there are the M201 M203 M566 commands. I have always taken into account the ones in "config.g". Which are the actual values that are being used?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2015 04:42PM by Ludo91.
September 30, 2015 05:16PM
Config.g is used if it is present. Default.g is the fallback.

September 30, 2015 11:16PM
Hi David, it seems a Bug has crept in to 1.09k

My Xaxis microswitch doesn't work with it. I uninstalled it, and put 1.09i back on, and all is fine.
Tried 1.09k again, but nope....It doesn't see my microswitch...

Back to 1.09i now.....
Kim...

October 01, 2015 02:46AM
Kim, you need to use M574 to tell the firmware about your homing switches now.

October 01, 2015 05:05AM
AAAAAaaaaaaa that sounds Good..... Thanks David... Will try it later (Been up all night pushing Gas Tankers) ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

October 01, 2015 01:13PM
To expand on my previous message, which I composed on a smartphone: Prior to version 1.09k, M558 XYZ parameters and their defaults overrode M574 parameters, and the M574 default was to have a low endstop on every axis. This confused several people using Duets to run delta printers, because they used the M574 command to say they had 3 endstops at the high ends, but didn't realise that they also needed to use M558 X0 Y0 Z0 even with no Z probe installed. So as of version 1.09j, the default for M574 is to have a low end switch on the Y axis only, and for any endstops configured using M574 to override M558 XYZ parameters.

A consequence is that Ormerod owners who add additional homing switches now need to use M574 to tell the firmware about them, because the firmware default is now that there is no switch on the X axis or the Z axis.

btw I published a firmware configuration guide at [reprap.org].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 01:15PM by dc42.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login