Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod 2 z-Probe / X Carriage hanging at printed parts

Posted by cpbee 
Ormerod 2 z-Probe / X Carriage hanging at printed parts
September 23, 2015 03:57PM
Dear all,

I know that this is a common problem with the Ormerod 2. However, I experience with bigger prints, that the Z-Probe starts to "crash" into the print this leads to small "blobs" that increases the problem until the printer looses a step and continues to print into thin air.

This is annoying sad smiley

I took the z-probe away and manually homed X and Z ... and the problem continous to exist. This time the X carriage keeps hanging sad smiley

Is there a solution to this? Is it possible that I mounted my extruder "to low" (with the brass screw)?

I know there is the dc42 probe - but I wonder if there is another solution (e.g. improved x carriage?)

Thanks for your help.

Chris.
Re: Ormerod 2 z-Probe / X Carriage hanging at printed parts
September 23, 2015 04:41PM
You mean the x-carriage slips off the bearing or you mean it hits the print? Or you mean it is hanging to the front?

Would be nice if you could post some pictures of the problem.

If it is hanging to the front you have to readjust the bearing at the back of the X arm which slips offten ,you can replace it with 10mm version and make sure its scewed tight or it will slip again.
September 24, 2015 02:57AM
Hi,

I try to answer your questions - I can not provide images so far (I angrily ripped off the pieces after 6h of printing and 95% progress....)

1) No the carriage sits tightly on the linear bearings
2) Looking from the front the nozzle does not have a 90° angle to the arm and printbed ... it is maybe 80-85°. This can be probably resolved by a new bearing. But manually moving the arm does not resolve the problem it might even make the problem more serious:

3) I am talking about the z-Probe part:

-->> if the printer prints one part and then jumps to next part the Z-Probe (the small PCcool smiley slightly cuts through the still soft print and "ripples" it (small bumps apear). During the next cycle the same thing happens (the bump gets slightly higher). Eventually, the bump gets so high (e.g. 1mm) and the cariage hangs with the z-Probe at the print -> the belt slips and the print is gone to PLA heaven.

The problem seems to get more serious the higher the parts are. Printing small parts is no problem.

I hope I described the problem good enough (even without pictures).

Thanks.

Chris.
September 24, 2015 03:42AM
Attached some images of the problem:

This is a printed (assembled) part that failed (the wheels have not been completed) -> On the lower part you see the lines on the surface that was caused by the two corners indicated in the second picture.

Thanks.
Attachments:
open | download - 2015-09-24 09.25.23.jpg (186.9 KB)
open | download - 2015-09-24 09.28.22.jpg (199.8 KB)
September 24, 2015 04:03AM
I know this problem very well. First of all if your nozzle is not angled so you will easy get blobs so you have to angle your nozzle. Your bed has also to be leveled correctly and really exactly. If you are using auto bed leveling you may get in trouble if the height differences are too high as the moving/ travel speed may be higher than the auto bed leveling can compensate or it is that high that your nozzle is not lower than the z-probe (seen from the bed's view).
Also the print quality of your x-carriage is not very good maybe the dimensions are wrong?
Do you have a quick nozzle set (sorry I do not know how the Ormerod 2 was delivered). If not did you use the spacer between the heater block and the mounting block?

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
September 24, 2015 04:29AM
When the nozzle is touching the bed, the bottom of the proximity sensor board should be 1 to 2mm above the bed. If it is lower than that, you may have the nozzle mount fitted upside down or the MDF spacer missing.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 24, 2015 06:43AM
Is there any replacement for this MDF spacer? My part broke in two parts...

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
September 24, 2015 08:20AM
I guess if you have a press drill and a saw you can make one yourself. Or print one from ABS.
September 24, 2015 08:58AM
Hi,

thanks for your answer. It was the stock RepRap Pro carriage print that was delivered when I bought the Ormerod MII V3 ... ok. I will reprint the part. Then I will look to set the angle correctly. The bed is leveled with a dial gauge. It seems ok, but the problem is the 3 point (instead of 4 points)

No I do not use auto level bed compensation.

I use the MDF spacer.

@dc42: There is a space of 1.5 mm ...

The problem somehow aggrevates when I print multiple larger objects or one larger object where the z-probe area is moving over the object. Can I use another spacer (e.g. 6mm) to "push" the nozzle further down?
September 24, 2015 09:27AM
You can use another spacer but you cannot push the nozzle much further down as the proximity sensor will not work correctly anmore.

September 24, 2015 04:41PM
cpbee
Hi,

thanks for your answer. It was the stock RepRap Pro carriage print that was delivered when I bought the Ormerod MII V3 ... ok. I will reprint the part. Then I will look to set the angle correctly. The bed is leveled with a dial gauge. It seems ok, but the problem is the 3 point (instead of 4 points)

No I do not use auto level bed compensation.

I use the MDF spacer.

@dc42: There is a space of 1.5 mm ...

The problem somehow aggrevates when I print multiple larger objects or one larger object where the z-probe area is moving over the object. Can I use another spacer (e.g. 6mm) to "push" the nozzle further down?

Hmm 1,5mm should be anaugh . What fillament are you using? it sounds to me like Warping problem ,if it is PLA i suggest you get yourself another Fan and fan duct to blow under the nozzle. IF it is ABS then i think you need to make a heat chamber so it wont cool too much. But you will need all parts made out of ABS becouse PLA(which the parts are made of) will get soft and deform.

IF you put a spacer of 6mm it will prob make the Probe too high and will not get accurate readings ,consequently will not be able to home Z.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2015 04:42PM by Darathy.
September 25, 2015 01:13AM
Darathy
IF you put a spacer of 6mm it will prob make the Probe too high and will not get accurate readings ,consequently will not be able to home Z.

Like I said before.
But you can get this problem also (besides warping) if you got blobs at the seem or if the filament diameter differs. That is one point: You should check your filament diameter and if the extrusion factor matches the filament diameter or if you have some kind of overextrusion.

September 25, 2015 10:32AM
Dear all,

I honestly must say I am embarrassed (or was it really my fault?):

1) I changed the bearing holding my x carriage to a 623. No my nozzle is almost perpendicular to the print surface
2) After having done that my carriage actually hit the bed before the nozzle touched the bed ...
3) I took the carriage apart and turned the nozzle holder piece by 180 degrees (upside down). This lifted the all parts a significant distance from the bed and out of any touching distance.
(4) I do not know if the z Probe still works since I have never used it ... I manually home it before printing.

Therefore I must say thanks to all! Currently, I am happy printing smiling smiley lets see if the "blobs" reappear smiling smiley

Chris.
September 25, 2015 11:01AM
Glad to hear. Or did you use the holder piece upside down and now in the correct way?

September 26, 2015 01:58PM
I do not know which is the correct way smiling smiley but rotating it 180° solved it. BUT I must say, that the Z sensor might be too much away to properly work - I never got the sensor really working. I think only dc42's sensor is the answer.
September 26, 2015 02:09PM
cpbee
I do not know which is the correct way smiling smiley but rotating it 180° solved it. BUT I must say, that the Z sensor might be too much away to properly work - I never got the sensor really working. I think only dc42's sensor is the answer.

The right way round for the nozzle mount is with the chamfered corners at the bottom. Both the standard sensor and my sensor work best with the bottom of the sensor board about 1.5mm higher than the tip of the nozzle. 2mm is OK but higher than that may not work.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 27, 2015 01:49PM
dc42
...2mm is OK but higher than that may not work.

3mm works for me, black paper under 4mm glass did the trick - how to get hold on all black paper? - google "black", goto pictures, print picture

G31 Z0.15 P500 ; Set the probe height and threshold (put your own values here)

Erik
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login