Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap's Duet Expansion Board

Posted by KimBrown 
RepRap's Duet Expansion Board
October 02, 2015 04:02PM
Hi, I've just received my RepRap Expansion Board to expand the Ormerod....
I can see where it plugs in, but after that I'm lost, as some of the pins used are already populated with wires.
I had hoped there was going to be some documentation in with it, but nope....
If anyone knows a link to a site with the wiring diagram I would much appreciate it please.
Thanks,
Kim...

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
Re: RepRap's Duet Expansion Board
October 02, 2015 04:14PM
[reprappro.com]

Its well hidden on the rrp website

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
October 02, 2015 05:19PM
Hi, thanks for that.... I did stumble upon it some how, when I was digging through the threads.....

The problem is it's for the Ormerod 2, and I have an Ormreod 1....
I think the extruder heaters and extruder feeders migrate to the new board, but then there's another catch as it appears there's an extra PCB near the power connections, with a 5V regulator on it...
I'm wondering if I need that now. As it is I can't connect the Expansion board up for about a week now anyway as I haven't any suitable wire or my ratchet crimper with me.
So it will just have to wait now.... sad smiley

Does anyone know if the expansion board just requires a separate 12V +/- supply, or does it also need a 5V supply?

The diagram in the RepRap instructions is a little misleading to, as it talks about the HEATERS, but doesn't say extruder (or HotEnd Heater / (and leaves any mention of the Bed heater out totally), which I assume remains on the ribbon cable under the shield...

I've worked out that some of the connections migrate across, but I wish they had made things abit clearer for people upgrading thier Ormerod 1s....

October 02, 2015 05:40PM
The Duet shield just need 12V power connections. It gets 5V via the expansion connector. The bed heater and bed thermistor remain connected to the Duet.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 02, 2015 05:42PM
Bed heater stays on the mainboard

You should definitely connect the two power tabs

Not 100% sure of all the functions of the regulator board, but I would assume if your mainboard works without it then its not required, my mendel has the regulator board, but the fisher doesnt.

The functions I do know this board performs is providing y splitter connection for the mendels two z axis motors, power distribution to duet and shield. .....and I'm fairly sure there is a 5v regulator on it but don't recall what it does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2015 05:43PM by bgkdavis.

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
October 02, 2015 06:05PM
Thanks DC / BGK, I guessed that was it, but then with the their diagram just showering the Heater connections labeled as Heaters (1..3) I thought I'd best check....
Roll on Wednesday then, when I can get it connected up smiling smiley Many thanks.
Looks like I will have to insulate the ends of the ribbon cable as well to stop it shorting out on the Shields power connectors, and design and print a replacement Case for the electronics....
Kim...

October 02, 2015 06:12PM
I seam to recall there is a noise issue and the case is best made of metal to provide shielding.... but if your printer currently doesnt have a metal case then I guess there is no problem

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
October 05, 2015 04:49PM
Kim

You remarked that you would have to design and print a new case for Duet + Duet Shield. I have designed a cover which just fits over the original Ormerod 1 case which I have just put on to Thingiverse (Ormerod Duet + Duet Shield Cover) in case you may be interested. It will save having to pull all the wiring apart. Once the cover it in place it does not need to be removed to erase/reset after a firmware download as there are holes to allow dc42's pushrods through, although it does take a bit of poking around until you can feel the buttons.

Ray

Ray
October 05, 2015 08:02PM
Many thanks for that Ray... I was going to wait till I got home on Wednesday before designing the case, as I don't have any wire on the ship suitable, nor the right size crimp connectors.
I'll take a look at your cover tomorrow, when I have abit more time.... Thanks again..... It would save me messing around. I enjoy doing the designing, but it does eat up your spare time...
smiling smiley
Kim

October 12, 2015 11:46AM
This is probably a Dumb question, but I would like to check.....
The two POWER Spade Connectors on the Expansion Board are for 12V and not 5V??????
I've connected mine up to 12V, and it seems to be working fine, but the Green LED is so Bright I can barely see what I'm typing after looking at it..

Oh I meant to say.... DC, I'm using the RepRap Expansion board, and the bed heater / thermistor and HotEnd fan have to migrate to the Expansion board due to the connector on the Expansion Board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2015 12:07PM by KimBrown.

October 12, 2015 01:23PM
Yes, you need to feed 12V or whatever supply voltage you are using to the spade terminals.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: RepRap's Duet Expansion Board (resolved)
October 13, 2015 07:25AM
All seems to be working fine so far.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login