Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod 2 PSU output voltage

Posted by Jasharrar 
Ormerod 2 PSU output voltage
October 12, 2015 12:18PM
Hi Everyone

I'm new to printing and to ormerod but I have an issue. I have built my machine and initially it worked fine. Fans running as they should be and it was extruding as I expected. However then I switched it off and then back on. But this time the extruder fan worked for a few seconds then died. I checked the wiring which was fine but then I checked the voltage on the fan wiring loom and the input voltage on the duo but the voltage was 25v and I thought it was supposed to be 12v. I checked the voltage on the PSU output and that was 25v. There is a small screw to adjust voltage on the psu.

Has anyone else experience this before? I have emailed support but unfortunately they haven't replied.

Many thanks in advance

Jas
Re: Ormerod 2 PSU output voltage
October 12, 2015 12:28PM
Sounds to me that a component in the voltage regulation circuitry of the PSU has failed.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 12, 2015 12:31PM
Thanks should I fiddle with the voltage screw or avoid this?

Jas
October 12, 2015 12:51PM
With the power off, you could try turning it through its whole range a few times just in case it has developed a bad contact between the slider and the track. Then put it back to about where it was before. But I expect the problem lies elsewhere.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 12, 2015 01:22PM
Thanks just tried that but lowest voltage is 21v so it must be the PSU that has died. Shame since its less than a week old. And has only been powered on for 1 day!

Many thanks for your help
October 12, 2015 01:27PM
Have you been sent a 24V PSU by mistake? What does the label on the PSU say?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2015 01:28PM by dc42.

October 12, 2015 02:39PM
The good news is that it is unlikely to have damaged anything except the fan.

Dave
October 12, 2015 04:28PM
There is another post from a different user on the General section of these forums who seems to be having a very similar problem. Makes me wonder whether one of the Chinese suppliers has mixed up their 12V and 24V PSUs.

October 12, 2015 05:08PM
Where did you get your Ormerod?

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
October 20, 2015 01:11PM
Thank you for all the replies. It turns out I had my multimeter set to ac not dc smiling smiley so basically I'm an idiot! But I did explain this to the people at reprap pro when I bought it!

Thanks
October 22, 2015 07:15PM
Oh.... I wear that Hat allot...... Join the Club.....

Not sure if the Ormerod 2 is still using those 'orrible 6 pin connectors that came with the Ormerod 1, but check the 'DC' voltage (sorry couldn't resist) there first..... I cut my connector out ages ago as they aren't very good.
At one time my machine kept failing for no good reason. It turned out to be a duff connection in THAT connector on the Thermister wires.... I removed my connector totally after that, and never had any problems.

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
October 23, 2015 02:14AM
I replace the connectors with the tycoAMP clone as I had similiar problems. At me it was the fan connection. The tycoAMP version of this connectors is slightly better. It also turns out that it is needed that the crimps were done with a good tool. So I decided to keep this connector for my Ormerod 2. At least you have some advantages using the connector.
But I have a problem with my Ormerod 1 and the thermistor of the heated bed: It does not withstand the temperature. (It is the same type of plug).

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login