Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New firmware 1.09k-ch

Posted by chrishamm 
New firmware 1.09k-ch
October 21, 2015 12:50PM
Yes, it's been a while since I officially released my last firmware version 1.09g, but since then I've made quite some progress on my fork of the firmware. Here the complete changelog since that version:

Arduino device tree version 1.0.4:
- Merged in latest version from Arduino GitHub repo
- Merged in T3P3's changes for the Duet 0.8.5 (thanks Tony)

Preliminary firmware version 1.09h:
- Merged in latest improvements from dc42's 1.09k firmware (thanks dc42+T3P3)
- Merged in Adrian's M42 implementation

Firmware version 1.09i:
- Tool warning messages are only sent at an interval of 4 seconds
- Updated SD images with proper movement settings
- Bug fix: Speed factor override wasn't working
- Bug fix: Changing the tool during a print caused the firmware to hang
- Bug fix: M408 could cause an endless loop if no S param was specified
- Bug fix: E0 drive wasn't working and Move code was sometimes stuttering

Firmware version 1.09j:
- Merged in Roland support code from RRP's repo (thanks Adrian)
- Dwell enforces all movement to stop
- Improved NetworkTransaction interface
- For continous output writes, one OutputBuffer is left free for single allocation
- Watchdog is set up in the Platform class (and no longer in the RepRap file)
- Webserver writes uploaded data immediately and doesn't store it any more
- Telnet and FTP now allow only one single connection per protocol
- Telnet doesn't ask for a password if none has been configured (for Pronterface support)
- Telnet ignores the first few incoming bytes within the first 4
- Bug fix: Live coordinates with tool offset were not reported to web interface
- Added description for AGND (Duet 0.8.5) to Duet expansion header documentation

Firmware version 1.09k:
- Updated Duet expansion header documentation to incorporate changes for Roland mill
- M36 and rr_fileinfo are now multi-pass to improve the Spin loop timing
- First layer height is now parsed and reported by M36 and rr_fileinfo
- Replaced a few tabs with spaces in the Makefile to fix build issues on Ubuntu
- IP address changes take effect immediately (see M552 - M554)
- Improved layer detection algorithm (should fix most problems with "Lift Z" option)
- Increased OutputBuffer safety in Webserver classes
- Decreased HTTP timeout to 8 seconds
- Minor improvements in the MassStorage class
- Bug fix: Roland interface didn't pick up any moves
- Bug fix: Block reads via FileStore didn't update the file position
- Bug fix: Merged in missing M92 code from dc42's fork for Delta support (thanks dc42)

You can get a precompiled firmware binary here, the compatible web interface remains version 1.06 (for now!).

If you give it a try, I'd appreciate to see some feedback here. If you notice any bugs, please report them here as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2015 12:51PM by zombiepantslol.
Re: New firmware 1.09k-ch
October 21, 2015 02:19PM
Did you change your FW-name to ch now? Don't you use zpl anymore?

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
October 22, 2015 05:55AM
Treito
Did you change your FW-name to ch now? Don't you use zpl anymore?

That's correct smiling smiley When I initially started my firmware development, I honestly didn't think I'd continue my development work for such a long time. That's why I really didn't care about my nickname either - I thought I'd submit one or two patches, but as you probably noticed there's always something left that could be improved!
October 22, 2015 06:34AM
One question as I am not sure for the moment to which FW I should update:

What are the main differences between 1.09k-ch and 1.09k-dc42? As you implement settings from dc42 are there any differences left?
I would like to test the new SD-card writing speed.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
October 22, 2015 07:58AM
The two firmware forks are entirely compatible - there is no need to adjust your config file if you want to try it out. This is what I wrote in my firmware thread on the Fisher forum:

At the moment, the biggest differences between dc42's and my fork are the smaller memory footprint, improved layer statistics during file prints, usage of a customised Arduino board to build the firmware with, and the ability to disable the heated bed via "M140 H-1". I figure the latter is especially interesting for Fisher owners, because it effectively hides the heated bed entry on the web interface. The movement control, however, is the same nice code dc42 provides.
October 22, 2015 03:27PM
I hope I can pick up my new Duet boards tomorrow at the customs (1k-version, declaration were wrong, again) and that I can also fix my MK2 tomorrow (blocked nozzle, probably permanently damaged until I find out how to remove the PLA from the threads and the block). My MK2 uses the 4k7-version. So I hope I can try your FW with both printers. As my SD-card seems to be optimized for the Duet-FW I am curious about the results and my report later. Fixing the MK1 may take longer time as I also would like to exchange the PSU for safety reasons as I still do not know why 2 Duet boards got broken. The only thing I know so far is that it seems that in both cases only the ATSAM was affected but I am waiting for further reports. Both boards are still in an investigation and I am waiting for the final report.
I hope I can test your FW with two different boards and two slightly different Ormerods.

October 26, 2015 02:01PM
To those who are interested: I've just released version 1.09l which fixes a bug where certain pull-ups weren't properly disabled.
October 28, 2015 08:24PM
Treito, try burning the PLA out on a gas cooker hob. Once it's stopped poping and crackling, the Burnt PLA/PTFE should tap out.
I have a New 0.3mm QuickSet nozzle to do when I get home... sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2015 08:26PM by KimBrown.

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
October 29, 2015 07:04AM
Hello Kim,

unfortunately I do not own a gas cooker and to buy one only for this purpose does not make sense as I paid for the complete nozzle less than 6€.

Best regards,

Sven

October 29, 2015 08:04AM
Treito
Hello Kim,

unfortunately I do not own a gas cooker and to buy one only for this purpose does not make sense as I paid for the complete nozzle less than 6€.

Best regards,

Sven

You can use the flame from a gas lighter such as [www.ebay.co.uk]

Dave
November 04, 2015 04:27PM
zombiepantslol
To those who are interested: I've just released version 1.09l which fixes a bug where certain pull-ups weren't properly disabled.

I am going to try to burn this to my duet while I wait for a reply on a PM I sent you. The tough thing is I am unsure whether the firmware will run my printer properly and may need to make config adjustments. I know many of these can be done with GCode but there are plenty of adjustments I would write into my own personal forrk of the firmware specific to my machine.

Having issues in Arduino 1.6.5 when I add your boards download to it - crashes Arduino to death - check my PM for the details. I am here to help with any fixes/testing I can do as my part of the community effort!
James
November 04, 2015 05:28PM
Ok Just need to add this!

I have gotten the file to compile. Even though Arduino is in failed state the boards patch worked. The firmware compiled and I was able to upload though I had to get the bossac.exe file out of a zip and place it into the location your .ps1 script was looking for it. Point is it compiled and uploaded - my stock PanelDue is connected and able to control the printer as well. Now I can start to debug and work the config for the Krakken!

So questions I have are...
1. How can we fix the Arduino program after the board update so I can still use it with my Marlin firmware and my other printer when I make changes?
2. It is a very typical Prusa i3 build - currently the stepping for X and Y are acting badly - bouncing back and forth so is that wiring or are the steps too high?
3. Z axis runs nice and smooth... It just travels way too far. When I send 1mm movement from Pronterface or I use the PanelDue to move it 0.5 in either direction it goes about 10 times further than it should.
4. I am getting a constant M105 back in the Pronterface console, not sure if that should happen or if I need to correct something.
5. I cannot get any of the extruders to feed or reverse - Pronterface console reports back - "attempting to Extrude with no tool selected" even if I select any of 0, 1, 2, 3 first.

The firmware works! just got to get my machine and it matched up is all then I can attempt some nice 4 color printing!
Thanks to you and Dave so much for all the help.
James
November 05, 2015 08:20AM
Ah nice, so someone actually starts using my PowerShell effort :-) FYI, you can reset the Duet into bootloader mode by opening the COM port at 1200BPS once, and this is in fact what I've been doing in my UNIX Makefile. If you like, I can add the same functionality to my PowerShell script, too.

1) I'm sorry you had difficulties installing the Arduino board, but it's actually the Arduino IDE that (still) doesn't work properly. This is what I added to the README file of my Arduino board files:

NOTE: As of Arduino 1.6.5, there is a bug that prevents the proper installation of this device tree. However, as a work-around, you can install the "Arduino SAM" package first. Once you have done this, open the "Boards Manager" and install the Duet device tree in the same way.

If it's already messed up, you need to delete the contents of your "packages" directory once and repeat the steps above. On Windows, there ought be an Arduino directory in %APPDATA%.

2) It really depends on what your setup looks like. I don't have a Prusa here for testing, but in theory it should work as well. Maybe you just need to reconfigure the steps/mm via M92? Alternatively, check your wiring (and belts) and then try to increase the motor currents a bit via M906 (you can go up to 1200mA without additional cooling).

3) At least for your Z axis the steps/mm seem to be too high. You need to change them using M92 in your config file. See [prusaprinters.org]

4) AFAIK this is normal when using Pronterface, but I really recommend you use the web interface instead.

5) You must select a tool prior to extrusion/retraction. Send "T0" (assuming this is your first defined tool as seen in the P parameter of M563) to activate it.
November 05, 2015 05:54PM
So Chris.... If I completely remove the 1.6.5 can I install 1.6.1 and use your tree? I am not particularly attached to any version - 1.x anything works fine for my Marlin so I can back down to a version of Arduino you recommend and tested to work with your boards addition.

Yes the Powershell script is wonderful - in fact so nice that If I could get the PS IDE to deal with Arduino properly I would likely only be using this to deal with my Marlin and now my Zombiefied Krakken printers! I will even be looking at Dave's DC42 Fork to see if I can get your powershell to work with it as well. for compiling and uploading I have found this to be much easier than Eclipse by far but I am a total noob to Eclipse so take that with a big grain of salt.

The main thing is - now that I can compile and upload as I choose I can tweak and adjust the settings as I choose. Lastly - to get the SD card loaded up the steps from nothing to something for me (please confirm) 1. Setup IP so the unit gets an IP address on my network with proper subnet mask. 2. Compile 3. Upload 4 use FTP to transfer files to SD card..... 5. What files do I put on SD?

Side note does this board support this spare 16GB SD I took from my previous phone? The board comes with 2GB and there are addressing limitations just dont know if this board supports >4GB??

Again Chris, Dave - your efforts and contributions cannot be fully appreciated by most but I am trying to do my part to make sure you both are credited and more people know about those efforts!
James
November 06, 2015 02:35AM
coogrrr
Side note does this board support this spare 16GB SD I took from my previous phone? The board comes with 2GB and there are addressing limitations just dont know if this board supports >4GB??

I tested the board with cards up to 32 GB for speed comparison. It should not be a too slow card. Class 4 may cause trouble, but it is in discussion if smaller cards with Class 4 formatted with FAT16 may be faster than actual cards. I cannot confirm this. My supplied Kingston 4GB Class 4 is slow. I am using a Toshiba 8GB UHS-1 card.

November 06, 2015 02:37PM
coogrrr
So Chris.... If I completely remove the 1.6.5 can I install 1.6.1 and use your tree? I am not particularly attached to any version - 1.x anything works fine for my Marlin so I can back down to a version of Arduino you recommend and tested to work with your boards addition.

Yes the Powershell script is wonderful - in fact so nice that If I could get the PS IDE to deal with Arduino properly I would likely only be using this to deal with my Marlin and now my Zombiefied Krakken printers! I will even be looking at Dave's DC42 Fork to see if I can get your powershell to work with it as well. for compiling and uploading I have found this to be much easier than Eclipse by far but I am a total noob to Eclipse so take that with a big grain of salt.

The main thing is - now that I can compile and upload as I choose I can tweak and adjust the settings as I choose. Lastly - to get the SD card loaded up the steps from nothing to something for me (please confirm) 1. Setup IP so the unit gets an IP address on my network with proper subnet mask. 2. Compile 3. Upload 4 use FTP to transfer files to SD card..... 5. What files do I put on SD?

Again Chris, Dave - your efforts and contributions cannot be fully appreciated by most but I am trying to do my part to make sure you both are credited and more people know about those efforts!
James

You don't really need to recompile the firmware to make slight adjustments (unless you want to port it to another board, I guess), so just edit your config file to match your setup. But nonetheless, my Arduino board files require Arduino 1.6.4 or newer, so don't downgrade to Arduino 1.x. Here the instructions to fix a messed up Arduino board installation:

1) Go to c:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Arduino\packages
2) Delete ALL directories in it
3) Install the official "Arduino SAM boards" package
4) Install my own Duet board. This time no exception should be displayed
5) (Optional) Restart Arduino IDE - this time it should work well and you should be able to use the Serial Monitor to communicate with the Duet (or your other boards)

I still don't know why Arduino doesn't like my boards package if it's installed first, especially because it's practically identical to the official boards description and because it does download the right toolchains and apparently unpacks them nicely. I still think this is somehow related to Arduino IDE and not to my files.

AFAIR the Duet supports SD cards bigger than 4GB, at least one of my 8GB cards works - this is what Treito already confirmed. Concerning Eclipse, I haven't checked if the official Arduino Eclipse plugin developer has meanwhile released a new version that can deal with Arduino 1.6.4+, but their nightly builds didn't work really well either last time I tested them. If you want to try it out anyway, have a look at the "Documentation" directory for a brief instruction list about how to it needs to be configured. I for one have been happy with gvim for quite a while smiling smiley
November 08, 2015 11:19AM
Hi ZPL

I just updated to 109l but itappears to come up on the web 1.06 settings page as 109k ?

Don
November 08, 2015 11:38AM
deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2015 12:09PM by Don Recardo.
November 08, 2015 01:19PM
Hi Don,

You're right - sorry for the confusion. The binary on my GitHub repo does have the changes from my latest 1.09l release, but its version wasn't properly updated. I've just pushed an updated binary to GitHub though, which also fixes a JSON problem that would cause the web interface to disconnect if a config.g file bigger than 3.2KB was used.
November 13, 2015 08:44AM
I've just released version 1.09m of my firmware fork on GitHub, which adds full support for dc42's PanelDue. I must admit this thing is pretty neat smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login