Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More display options for PanelDue

Posted by dc42 
More display options for PanelDue
October 23, 2015 05:17AM
I have found two more displays that should be compatible with PanelDue:

* 4.3 inch and 5 inch screens supplied from Germany, [0wAAOSwBLlVN1Dk" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.co.uk] and [www.ebay.co.uk]. These look the same as the low-cost touch screens from China that I link to in the instructions.

* 7 inch screen from China, [www.ebay.co.uk]. I have one of these on order. It could be ideal for larger printers. It will need a wire link added to the PanelDue controller board to supply 5V to the backlight pin.

I am working on a new version of the PanelDue firmware that will support up to 6 heads on a 5 or 7 inch screen, and 3 or possibly 4 heads on the 4.3 inch screen.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: More display options for PanelDue
October 23, 2015 10:53AM
dc42
I have found two more displays that should be compatible with PanelDue:

* 4.3 inch and 5 inch screens supplied from Germany, [0wAAOSwBLlVN1Dk" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.co.uk] and [www.ebay.co.uk]. These look the same as the low-cost touch screens from China that I link to in the instructions.

* 7 inch screen from China, [www.ebay.co.uk]. I have one of these on order. It could be ideal for larger printers. It will need a wire link added to the PanelDue controller board to supply 5V to the backlight pin.

I am working on a new version of the PanelDue firmware that will support up to 6 heads on a 5 or 7 inch screen, and 3 or possibly 4 heads on the 4.3 inch screen.

Um Wish I had seen that before Dave might have gone with the 7 inch one instead of the 5 that arrived earlier in the week (Took about 2 weeks to get here).

Just need to get a decent Case design for the 5 inch one with the controller at the side I am totally useless with OpenScad else I would modify yours?

Doug
October 23, 2015 11:10AM
Doug, It wouldn't be hard to modify the openscad file to support the low cost 5 inch display, but I don't have one to measure, so I can't plug the figures in. If you like I can knock up a version for that display, but you would need to adjust some of the figures.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 23, 2015 11:37AM
dc42
Doug, It wouldn't be hard to modify the openscad file to support the low cost 5 inch display, but I don't have one to measure, so I can't plug the figures in. If you like I can knock up a version for that display, but you would need to adjust some of the figures.

Dave

Would this help (Image of display with dimensions?
Attachments:
open | download - 25012-6.jpg (18.9 KB)
October 23, 2015 12:58PM
That helps, although it doesn't tell me where the visible part of the screen is. I have made a guess and made the changes anyway. Do you want it with or without a lip for hanging off a 2020 or 2040 etc. horizontal extrusion?

October 23, 2015 01:46PM
dc42
That helps, although it doesn't tell me where the visible part of the screen is. I have made a guess and made the changes anyway. Do you want it with or without a lip for hanging off a 2020 or 2040 etc. horizontal extrusion?

Yes please lip would be good I have measured the screen surround

Connector to right Top is 1.5 mm Right is the same bottom is 3.75 left would be 3 mm this is the edge of the Glass part to the centre of the white surround

The metal part is approx. 0.5 mm wider than the Glass apart from the bottom where it is 1.5 mm if you want any other measurements let me know?

Doug
October 23, 2015 02:00PM
I've checked in a modified version of the .scad file (the version with lip) at [github.com] and added a ready-made STL for your display. Almost certainly, it won't be quite right yet. Let me know what changes are needed.

October 23, 2015 03:10PM
dc42
I've checked in a modified version of the .scad file (the version with lip) at [github.com] and added a ready-made STL for your display. Almost certainly, it won't be quite right yet. Let me know what changes are needed.

Your sir are a Star will try and get one printed tomorrow and see how it works will let you know how it turns out (this is dependant on whether I get called into work mind)

Doug
October 26, 2015 05:46PM
Dave I want first to say how much it is appreciated what you do and contribute to the entire 3D printing world!

I am finishing the build of my "Krakken" this is a highly modified Prusa i3 build. I have printed all the parts not cut from aluminum or the bed itself so being it is my version it is called the Prusa Krakken... why Krakken?... well you may have guessed already but it has the E3D Krakken 4 head unit that is water cooled. I have designed and printed the entire carriage as well. In any case it is being ran by a Duet4 with expansion board and I have the 4.3" inch PanelDue display with board to the right side. I would like to get a copy of the code to use this display with 4 print heads.

I am also a programmer and worked with computer going on 25 years so not afraid to do anything related. I would be willing to assist in designing the interface for the 4 heads on this display as well if you would like help - i'll just need to come up to speed on your code and then I can run from there. Once I have the custom build done I will be posting up pics of it inside its custom cabinet as well.

Either way if I can get the 4 print heads displayed on this panel it would be very well appreciated!
Thanks again for all you have done and do daily!

James

P.S. I read the whole Kossel build you did and for some reason your article on the autopilot rebuild too!
October 26, 2015 05:58PM
Hi coogrrr, here are some previews of the new PanelDue UI:

It supports a total of 7 heaters (e.g bed + 6 heads) on the 5 inch display, and 5 heaters on the 4.3 inch display. It's not ready for release yet, but shouldn't take too long to complete now.

October 26, 2015 09:20PM
Beautiful! love the coloring too. I will upgrade to the larger panel soon just want to try out what I got in the pile now first. Let me know as soon as I can grab it - I will track this topic and check back soon! I'll even have some pics once I am less embarrassed by the build i'm doing!

Thanks gain Dave!
James
October 26, 2015 09:28PM
Speaking of which..... Got a link for the 7" and 5" panel you bought? I will buy the same! Thanks in advance yet again!

James
October 27, 2015 03:27AM
That is looking good Dave

The Panel and sensor arrived Sat morning by the way and I now have one of those 7 inch screens on order as well.

Should be able to get a case for the 5 out today work permitting.

Doug
October 27, 2015 04:22AM
coogrrr
Speaking of which..... Got a link for the 7" and 5" panel you bought? I will buy the same! Thanks in advance yet again!

James

See the first post in this thread for the link to the 7 inch display - which I haven't received yet, so is not tested. The eBay UK listing for the 5 inch display that I link to on the fitting instructions page has ended, however this one [www.ebay.co.uk] looks compatible to me.

October 27, 2015 06:03AM
dc42
coogrrr

James

See the first post in this thread for the link to the 7 inch display - which I haven't received yet, so is not tested. The eBay UK listing for the 5 inch display that I link to on the fitting instructions page has ended, however this one [www.ebay.co.uk] looks compatible to me.

This is the 5 inch that I got last week and it works fine 5 inch display Ebay is littered with them.

Doug
October 27, 2015 12:50PM
Doug,

I know I need to RTFM sometimes - I refreshed the page after my request and found those links..... Sorry guys. I did head straight off and bought the 7" display as I figured the 4.3 I have now (2 of them) was close enough that I would skip the 5" for now and do the larger format. So now its a waiting game on it and Dave to give us this AWESOME CODE!

Thanks for the links Doug!
Thanks for the efforts Dave!

Going to put in some serious time on the new printer today!

James
October 28, 2015 01:50PM
dougal1957
That is looking good Dave

The Panel and sensor arrived Sat morning by the way and I now have one of those 7 inch screens on order as well.

Should be able to get a case for the 5 out today work permitting.

Doug
Dave

Printed out a case Didn't come out to well due to warping but it does show a couple of weeks needed.

If looking at the display with the control board to the right I think the Display aperture needs raising by 4 mm and shifting to the right by 2 mm Photo attached to show what I mean, Actually now I look closer I think the bottom edge of the aperture needs lifting by 4 mm and the left edge moving right by 3 mm?

Is this an easy fix that I can apply myself and adjust as needed?

Doug

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2015 02:06PM by dougal1957.
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_0001a.JPG (572.5 KB)
October 28, 2015 05:28PM
Doug,

If it is only the display aperture that need changing, you can change that in the last line of the following extract in the OpenScad file:

LCDview =   (Itead43) ? [3,103,7,64.8]
			: (Itead50) ? [2.5,114.5,3,71.5]
			: (Other43) ? [3,103,7,64.8]
			:             [2.5,117,3,76];	// The edges of the visible region of the LCD screen (L,R,B,T)

It sounds like you need to increase the first value (L) by 3 and increase the third value (B ) by 4. After you have made those changes, remember to press F6 to recalculate before you export to STL. OpenScad has a bug: it doesn't warn you if you make changes and then try to export an STL file before you have recalculated. [I define a bug as a failure to meet the reasonable expectations of a user; therefore in my book, this is a bug.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2015 05:28PM by dc42.

November 03, 2015 03:22PM
Hey Dave, sorry to bother but I sent you a PM here on the Firmware....

My main question in this post is do you (or anyone else reading) have info on how to wire my PanelDue to my Deux4 board with a Duext4 v0.6 main. This setup (didnt know when I bought it) does not have separate header for the TX and RX. I am powering off my PS 3.3v so I am good there is turns on and looks great but how do I connect it to the Duex4 expansion board?

Thanks again to you all!
James
November 03, 2015 06:20PM
Those pins are available on the expansion header, just have a look at this document: [github.com]
November 03, 2015 06:31PM
zombiepantslol
Those pins are available on the expansion header, just have a look at this document: [github.com]

Zombie - I got and reviewed the spreadsheet - I have also found the pinout for the the 50pin expansion as well. The main issue is I have a ribbon covering that entire set of pins going to the Duex4 expansion board so I can run additional steppers for my quad print head. If I cannot get to those pins with the ribbon installed connecing the 2 boards - where on the Duex4 expansion board do I connect the PanelDue to now?

Thanks for the assist!
James
November 04, 2015 02:44AM
The DueX4 has a 26-pin expansion connector. Connect the PanelDue to that. In the fitting instructions at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] you will find the pin numbers in the table column "DueX4 expansion connector". I think the pin names are marked on the back of the DueX4. You can use the 8-way shell to connect pins 1, 4 and 5, and the crimp pin by itself to connect pin 21. I am sorry I don't have a photo - I guess I ought to dismantle my Ormerod electronics so that I can take one.

November 04, 2015 02:13PM
dc42
The DueX4 has a 26-pin expansion connector. Connect the PanelDue to that. In the fitting instructions at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] you will find the pin numbers in the table column "DueX4 expansion connector". I think the pin names are marked on the back of the DueX4. You can use the 8-way shell to connect pins 1, 4 and 5, and the crimp pin by itself to connect pin 21. I am sorry I don't have a photo - I guess I ought to dismantle my Ormerod electronics so that I can take one.

NOOO!!!!!! please do not disassemble anything on my account - that info was enough for me - I am using +5 and GND from the main PS so I only needed the TX and RX pins - got those now! and to take your lead and try to emulate a master..... I am going to take a picture of mine so others can see too! I have already pulled the 2 crimp pins from the 8-way shell - I added a little heat-shrink around the exposed part leaving only the the open end and now I can slide them onto the Expansion board's 26pin header set at pins 4 and 5 as the post you gave me shows!

Thanks a ton Dave!

James
November 04, 2015 02:49PM
coogrrr
dc42

NOOO!!!!!! please do not disassemble anything on my account - that info was enough for me - I am using +5 and GND from the main PS so I only needed the TX and RX pins - got those now! and to take your lead and try to emulate a master..... I am going to take a picture of mine so others can see too! I have already pulled the 2 crimp pins from the 8-way shell - I added a little heat-shrink around the exposed part leaving only the the open end and now I can slide them onto the Expansion board's 26pin header set at pins 4 and 5 as the post you gave me shows!

Thanks a ton Dave!

James

This is one of the reason's that Dave is so well respected in this community and nice to see others respecting that also Keepup the excellent Work Dave it is most appreciated.

Doug
November 11, 2015 05:26AM
Dave

My 7 inch screen has just arrived. Have you got yours yet and have you written up the required alteration to the PanelDUE controller board (I am thinking that it will be a link from the 5V in and the LED-A pin on the header but would like it confirming).

Am I right in saying that it would use the same firmware as the 5 inch screen.

Do you plan on amending the enclosure to suite as well?

Sorry lot's of Questions and hopefully you will finalise the FW in the next couple of weeks when I am due to deliver this latest Delta to the Customer (He is getting a 5 inch screen so not an issue at the mo but would like to pass it over with all FW up to date!

Doug
November 11, 2015 07:07AM
dougal1957
Dave

My 7 inch screen has just arrived. Have you got yours yet and have you written up the required alteration to the PanelDUE controller board (I am thinking that it will be a link from the 5V in and the LED-A pin on the header but would like it confirming).

No. On the 7 inch display there is a pin marked 5V. What is needed is a wire between the corresponding pin on the 40-pin socket, and the bottom pin of the 3.3V/5V jumper block. I will post a photo when my 7 inch display arrives and I have tested this arrangement.

dougal1957

Yes, for now at least.

dougal1957

Yes.

November 11, 2015 10:22AM
dc42
dougal1957
Dave

dc42
No. On the 7 inch display there is a pin marked 5V. What is needed is a wire between the corresponding pin on the 40-pin socket, and the bottom pin of the 3.3V/5V jumper block. I will post a photo when my 7 inch display arrives and I have tested this arrangement.

Ah I see that now no Probs!.

dougal1957
dc42
Yes, for now at least.

OK.

dougal1957
dc42
Yes.

Excellent
November 13, 2015 08:52AM
I can confirm that the first display supplied from Germany works well with your PanelDue. And thanks again for your support, this thing is a really nice gadget that is now supported by my firmware fork as well smiling smiley
November 13, 2015 09:22AM
zpl, thanks for confirming that display works. You might like to try the 1.12 beta 2 firmware if you haven't already.

I am still waiting for my 7" display to arrive. The estimated delivery date was Mon, 09 Nov - Wed, 25 Nov so hopefully it shouldn't be too much longer.

November 13, 2015 11:22AM
dc42
zpl, thanks for confirming that display works. You might like to try the 1.12 beta 2 firmware if you haven't already.

I am still waiting for my 7" display to arrive. The estimated delivery date was Mon, 09 Nov - Wed, 25 Nov so hopefully it shouldn't be too much longer.

Dave

I made the suggested mod to the PanelDUE controller and can confirm that the 7 inch display does indeed power up however when it does come up (Pre set with the 5 inch display) everything seems to be inverted see attached picture.

Reverting to a as it comes setting (ie non inverted) makes no difference to it at all

This is with 5.0-1.12b2 flashed to it.

Hopefully your's will arrive soon and you can test/debug it!

Doug
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_0014.JPG (426.3 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login