Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More display options for PanelDue

Posted by dc42 
Re: More display options for PanelDue
November 18, 2015 06:38AM
dougal1957
Do I remember you saying that RAM was running short could you maybe use the onboard SD Card to store any buffers for the cmd input and anything else that may need to be stored.

The shortage of RAM is largely caused by each button being a separate object and the per-object overhead being large. I intend to fix that either using a custom allocator or a class that represents a whole row of buttons instead of just one.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 18, 2015 04:39PM
Version 1.12 is now released at [github.com]. Changes since beta 3:

* Improved the touch sensitivity and accuracy, in particular for the 7" screen

* The fan speed setting can now be cancelled as with other settings (i.e. by pressing the Fan button again)

* Changed icon for Backspace key on the keyboard

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

November 19, 2015 11:03AM
Dave

Just flashed my 7inch panel and it is now much better.

Job Well done

Doug
November 19, 2015 12:13PM
That version is working nicely and it even fixes the print progress bar - thanks once more for this update! I have one more (minor) request though: When I start a file print on the web interface, would it be possible to automatically switch to the Print page? That's definitely no must-have, but it would be bit more convenient.
November 19, 2015 12:54PM
So far I have the following wish-list items for PanelDue firmware:

Reduce RAM used by buttons to make way for new features
Display a splash screen or logo at startup
Enable the Extrude button on the Control page and add an Extrude popup
Allow switching pages always, even if there is a popup (kill the popup - except perhaps the keyboard on the Console tab)
When a print job is started from the web interface, switch to the Print page
Use icons for Print and Delete buttons, also Home and Bed comp/Auto Cal buttons, also Control/Print/Console/Setup. Maybe the Move button as well.
Setup page option to allow Z increment to be set to 0.1, 0.05, 0.025 or 0.02mm (or select this on the Move popup instead)
Translate the remaining button and other text to other languages
Check that accented characters work in macro names (I have a report that they don't - might be that the SD card was written in a PC using a character set other thah ISO8859-1)
Use new nozzle icons on the 4.3" display, like the ones we use on the 5" and 7" displays
Better SD card icon
Use the more detailed M408 response:
- get the fan speed setting (is it provided? for how many fans?)
- get Z probe threshold, then use background colours when displaying the Z probe value
Show the 3rd print estimate on 5" and 7" displays (probably won't fit on 4.3" display)
Wrap the "Generated by..." text in the file information popup to a second line
Support 2 fans for Duet 0.8.5
Show the fan RPM somewhere
Briefly popup "Executing" and the macro name when a macro button is pressed on the macro popup

November 19, 2015 01:28PM
That's quite a lot, in fact that's almost as much as on my web interface TODO list!

The M408 responses provide the current fan value, but at the moment only one single fan is supported and I'm seriously wondering if there is any good reason to add support for another one at this time. I for one haven't heard of anyone who uses a second controllable fan with the Duet 0.8.5 yet, but feel free to tell me if support for the web interface and/or PanelDue has been requested. I really wouldn't be happy with changing the data format of the particular field in the status response, because it would break backward-compatibility with older versions, although I'd still find that better than introducing yet another field for this purpose.

I may add support for multiple fans in a future web interface release, but certainly not within the next two or three versions.
November 19, 2015 02:49PM
chrishamm
That's quite a lot, in fact that's almost as much as on my web interface TODO list!

The M408 responses provide the current fan value, but at the moment only one single fan is supported and I'm seriously wondering if there is any good reason to add support for another one at this time. I for one haven't heard of anyone who uses a second controllable fan with the Duet 0.8.5 yet, but feel free to tell me if support for the web interface and/or PanelDue has been requested. I really wouldn't be happy with changing the data format of the particular field in the status response, because it would break backward-compatibility with older versions, although I'd still find that better than introducing yet another field for this purpose.

I may add support for multiple fans in a future web interface release, but certainly not within the next two or three versions.

And I have around 20 improvements to my fork of RepRapFirmware scheduled, of which just a few are to merge in or replicate changes you have already made in yours.

How about having the web interface check whether the returned fan value is an array or not, and if it is, just pick the first element?

Although I tend to agree with you, I'm not sure there is any point having two print cooling fans.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 02:51PM by dc42.

November 20, 2015 07:29AM
dc42
Although I tend to agree with you, I'm not sure there is any point having two print cooling fans.

The only situation I can think of that would require two separately controlled fans is if the printer is fully enclosed and has a temperature controlled build volume - in which case the second fan is needed to control the cabinet temperature. But in that case you would want to know the cabinet temperature rather than the fan speed.

Dave
November 20, 2015 10:45PM
Dave, Chris, Doug.... Little help please.... I got my 7" LCD I also made the wire connection on the back of the controller board. I have downloaded the latest firmware and I am sure I have been told somewhere about the bossac program... Can you give a quick 1 2 3 on loading this with the firmware?

Thanks in advance!
James
November 20, 2015 11:10PM
PanelDue can be flashed like the Duet. See [reprappro.com]
November 21, 2015 03:03AM
coogrrr
Dave, Chris, Doug.... Little help please.... I got my 7" LCD I also made the wire connection on the back of the controller board. I have downloaded the latest firmware and I am sure I have been told somewhere about the bossac program... Can you give a quick 1 2 3 on loading this with the firmware?

Thanks in advance!
James

I made a little batch file for this (Attached) you will need to put it in the same directory with Bossac and the firmware file You will also need to edit it for the correct com port that device manager says the bossa port is on once you connect the PanelDue controller to the PC and erase it.

Hope this helps

Doug

ps you can also see full details on DC42's PanelDUE Blog

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2015 03:04AM by dougal1957.
Attachments:
open | download - flasher7.bat (72 bytes)
November 21, 2015 10:41AM
dc42
How about having the web interface check whether the returned fan value is an array or not, and if it is, just pick the first element?

That sounds fair. I've already made the necessary adjustments in the JS code of my next web interface version, which I'm hoping to release either tonight or tomorrow. This change won't affect the fanRPM field though, but I think expanding this one would be kind of pointless anyway because only a couple of users seem to drive a PWM fan from the Duet.
November 21, 2015 01:10PM
While you are working on the web interface, I have some requests:

1. Please increment the version number every time you publish a change. Otherwise it's hard for users to know whether they are running the latest version.

2. I have a report that the Load Filament function screws up if extrusion is set to absolute (e.g. because you just used Cura to print something). Please put an M83 command at the start of the sequence if you don't already, ore else a G92 E0 before each extrusion command.

3. When starting a file upload, please pass the file size to the Duet along with the filename. That will hopefully help me to speed up file upload some more.

Thanks - David

November 21, 2015 01:41PM
dc42
1. Please increment the version number every time you publish a change. Otherwise it's hard for users to know whether they are running the latest version.

Are you referring to the documentation or to the status response itself? DWC v1.07 should work with the old protocol standard as well (it tries to maintain backward-compatibility), but certain features won't work well if some fields are missing. I can add a note to the wiki page of the status responses and list which changes have been made since I originally introduced them, if that's okay for you. If you mean a version field in the status response, I suggest to wait until a field format changes which may eventually break backward-compatibility.

dc42
2. I have a report that the Load Filament function screws up if extrusion is set to absolute (e.g. because you just used Cura to print something). Please put an M83 command at the start of the sequence if you don't already, ore else a G92 E0 before each extrusion command.

Thanks, I had almost forgotten about this. DWC 1.07 will use the stack and switch to relative mode when clicking on those buttons.

dc42
3. When starting a file upload, please pass the file size to the Duet along with the filename. That will hopefully help me to speed up file upload some more.

There's no need to pass the file size explicitly to the Duet, because the HTTP POST header already contains the content length which equals the final file size. My fork of the firmware compares the final and the announced file sizes once the upload has finished, and reports an error if they don't match. Unfortunately something similar isn't possible for FTP transfers.
November 21, 2015 01:46PM
So I seem to have run into a problem...

I took the board connected it to machine - hit erase and reset and it showed up as com3 - I used Dougs batch file - edited for com3 and for the 4.3 bin file. It flashes and the results (see attached image) are that the panel is now showing nothing but white. I touched the screen in previously known spots - no sounds - so I flashed it again but it remains white.

Did I do something wrong in my flashing process?
Can I recover this?

James
Attachments:
open | download - Snap 2015-11-21 at 10.44.31.png (7.6 KB)
November 21, 2015 02:03PM
Did you restart the PanelDue/your printer after that? Your screenshot looks good to me.
November 21, 2015 02:55PM
Some bat file tricks.

You can ask the user for input and use en argument for the firmware file. So by putting this into a bat file and then drop the bin file on the bat file. The user will be prompted for the com port number and the dropped bin file will be flashed.

So no editing will be required.

@echo off
echo "You are about to flash firmware file: %1"
set /p comport="Enter you Panel Due COM Port : "
bossac.exe --port=COM%comport% -U true -e -w -v -b -R %1

I use this script to easily flash the Duet.

@echo off
echo "You are about to flash firmware file: %1"
echo "Erase Duet with button nead Ethernet jack"
echo "Reset Duet with button near USB jack"
echo "Wait at least 15 sec for Duet to boot up"
echo
PAUSE
bossac.exe -e -w -v -b %1
PAUSE

dougal1957
coogrrr

Thanks in advance!
James

I made a little batch file for this (Attached) you will need to put it in the same directory with Bossac and the firmware file You will also need to edit it for the correct com port that device manager says the bossa port is on once you connect the PanelDue controller to the PC and erase it.

Hope this helps

Doug

ps you can also see full details on DC42's PanelDUE Blog

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2015 03:02PM by fotomas.
November 21, 2015 03:24PM
Thanks for the updated batch file but still no joy.

I had the original interface with 2 hot ends and a bed it was very basic. I wanted the new interface on the 4.3 so I did these steps...
1. Plugged into USB only no Duet connections of any kind.
2. Pushed Erase button
3. Pushed Reset button
4. Found COM port - only one on my machine - COM3
5. Did this programming line - "bossac.exe --port=COM3 -U true -e -w -v -b -R PanelDue-4.3-1.12.bin"
6. Hit Reset Button
7. Panel comes up all white screen as seen in attached image.

Then I posted here - got the second batch file - did erase / reset / batch file with firmware on com3 - results attached in image - still white screen.

Am I totally screwed and need a new control board?
Attachments:
open | download - Snap 2015-11-21 at 12.09.13.png (19.4 KB)
open | download - IMAG0349_1.jpg (138.7 KB)
November 21, 2015 03:50PM
How did you download the PanelDue firmware file, and what size is it? It should be 77K. A common mistake when downloading files from github is to download the html page describing the file, instead of the file itself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2015 04:30PM by dc42.

November 21, 2015 03:58PM
ummm ... ok dont kill me.... my file is 28k and both firmwares are 28k in my download folder..... I messed that up right.... ok so another beer owed to you for catching me being dumb again. I will go attempt to get the proper bin file now.

James
November 21, 2015 04:02PM
Ok so now I downloaded with the RAW link. I got both firmwares the 4.3 is 77kb this time but the 7" is 102kb. I assume the 7" is supposed to be a bit larger right?
November 21, 2015 04:05PM
WOO HOO!!!! touch screen calibrated!!!!! Dammit Dave!!!!!!!!! Give me something I can do for you! Let me print something or send money SOMETHING!!!!

I need to be able to thank you in more than a posting!

Gratefully - James

edited - attached image of my lovely new 7" LCD PanelDue that will be mounted to my Prusa Krakken today!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2015 04:20PM by coogrrr.
Attachments:
open | download - IMAG0353_1.jpg (426.4 KB)
November 22, 2015 11:25AM
chrishamm
dc42

Are you referring to the documentation or to the status response itself? DWC v1.07 should work with the old protocol standard as well (it tries to maintain backward-compatibility), but certain features won't work well if some fields are missing. I can add a note to the wiki page of the status responses and list which changes have been made since I originally introduced them, if that's okay for you. If you mean a version field in the status response, I suggest to wait until a field format changes which may eventually break backward-compatibility.

Neither. You made several changes to interface.js while leaving the version number at 1.06. So users couldn't easily tell whether they had the "latest 1.06" or not.

November 26, 2015 03:37AM
Hello,

sorry to bother you. There is a cheap display available but I cannot get what chipsets were used. Can this display work? It would cost less than 13€ and I will order at this shop soon.
[www.pollin.de]

Best regards,

Sven

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
November 26, 2015 04:10AM
That display is not compatible with PanelDue. It has the wrong type of interface, no backlight inverter, and no touch panel.

November 26, 2015 05:55AM
According to the shop it should have a touch panel. However many thanks for the answer. I already thought that it is not compatible.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
November 27, 2015 04:09AM
Can you please tell me the costs for two PanelDue including VAT and shipping to Germany? What are the payment methods? Is Paypal okay? I need an offer to make my final decision.

November 27, 2015 04:25AM
Treito
Can you please tell me the costs for two PanelDue including VAT and shipping to Germany? What are the payment methods? Is Paypal okay? I need an offer to make my final decision.

Paid by PayPal, it's GBP85.32 including crimp connectors, or GBP95.34 including ready-made cables (normally 800mm, but other lengths available to order). But as it's Black Friday I'll give you GBP5 off. If you wish to place an order, send me a PM with your email address for the PayPal request and saying whether you want the cables or not. You will need to buy the display panels separately.

btw I am also offering £5 off today for a bundle of PanelDue controller + mini IR sensor.

November 27, 2015 09:50AM
Okay as it is black Friday I will be such crazy to get the controllers. What are the costs for the bundle? I will probably order the PanelDue only, as I found a solution for PrintBite, but it is not compatible with BuildTak so I may need another solution like your sensor. We could clarify that via PM if you like.

Edit: With crazy I meant that I have personally no real use for that but I want to equip one Ormerod with a display and also my forthcoming printer. Before anyone get this wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2015 10:32AM by Treito.

November 30, 2015 02:57PM
I have updated the PanelDue enclosure model to include the 7" display. It's at [www.thingiverse.com] and in my github repo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login