Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trouble with the y-axis bearing belt clamp

Posted by 1pennyshort 
Trouble with the y-axis bearing belt clamp
October 27, 2015 01:47PM
Hi everyone, newbie here with a question.

I am having a heck of a time getting the belt into the y-axis bearing belt clamp. This is the step I am stuck at. I do not want to go ape on it and also think that using a small screwdriver or tweezers could nick and damage the belt.
Is there any trick to getting the belt through? It seems like it would and should be a tight fit. I tried filing the edges a bit, but no luck.

Maybe I have a bad print of the clamp? It's a replikeo kit.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2015 09:12PM by 1pennyshort.
Re: Trouble with the y-axis bearing belt clamp
October 28, 2015 05:27AM
The MXL belt should fit in there quite tightly. Getting to this point can be a bit tricky and AFAIR I used a pair of pliers to push it in, but not with excessive force. I haven't had a Replikeo kit yet, so I don't know how good their printed parts are, but if the belt really doesn't fit you can carefully enlarge the slot a bit more with a knife or so. Also take care to get a good tension on the belt, else your resolution on the Y-axis won't be very high.
October 28, 2015 09:29AM
Thanks! I think the gap in the bracket was simply too narrow. The slot where the combined ends of the belt fit was 1mm too tight, there was no way to push the belt in.
What I ended up doing is filing and sanding to enlarge the slot and in the end used pliers as you said to push it in. It took forever, but looks good now, time will tell how well it holds.

In the meantime, I'll print a spare bracket, just in case.
October 28, 2015 10:32AM
1pennyshort

Very good idea. Besides my printed ones for my Ormerod 2 are also to small but they was printed by me so I cannot tell if this is a generally problem or not.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
October 28, 2015 12:11PM
Treito
1pennyshort

Very good idea. Besides my printed ones for my Ormerod 2 are also to small but they was printed by me so I cannot tell if this is a generally problem or not.

When I examined the STL for the Ormerod 1 X-carriage, I noticed that the slot half that takes 2 belts was the same thickness as the half that takes only 1 belt. Obviously 2 belts are going to be thicker than 1, so ISTM that is a design error, and I recall having the same problem as the OP fitting the X-carriage belt. Thus when I converted the x-carriage STL to an OpenScad design I made provision to set the width of the two halves independently (thus allowing you to increase the width of the half that takes the double belt).

Maybe the same error exists in that Y belt clamp (I don't know as the Ormerod 1 does not have one)

Dave
October 28, 2015 01:18PM
Regarding the y-carriage and Revision 528.4 I have a perfect fit at one print and my other print was even too loose. Besides the height of the teeth can be counted only once. Regarding the y-carriage: My slot for the two belts is bigger than the one with the one belt and there is the problem. The double-slots fits perfectly and the single slot not.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
November 19, 2015 08:35PM
Just thought I'd follow up on this, in case others run into the same problem.
It turns out, the belts shipped by Replikeo are considerably thicker than the ones from Reprappro. My original kit was from Replikeo and I've had a really hard time fitting them, I had to cut material and in the end redesign and reprint the two belt clamps.

I have recently ordered a spare belt from Reprappro and noticed the significant difference in thickness. The Replikeo belt is roughly 1.6mm thick (the base, ignoring the teeth), while the Reprappro one is 0.75mm (these are rough measurements, but they should give a general idea). So no wonder I had such a hard time.
November 20, 2015 03:56AM
Good to know. For me it was definitely a printing error as the y-belt-clamp was to tight and at the x-carriage the belt slipped through. I reprinted both parts with my good printer and now they fit. But I have to say that the y-belt-clamp is still a really tight fit compared to the x-carriage. It seems to me that this design is much better. BTW I ordered my MXL belt from [www.hexacube.de]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login