Hot end heater - Ormerod 2
November 15, 2015 02:49PM
Hi,
First time post and first 3d printer so lots to learn! I've just finished building an ormerod 2 and was going through the commissioning steps. I got to the point where I was testing the hot end and heated bed thermistor. When I ran through the steps in pronterface and set the heater to 100c all was well, it reached 76 degrees and all of a sudden just dropped off and went back down to room temp (20c). It appears that the heater element has just stopped, I've checked the wiring to it and all seems to be fine. Is it common for one of these be faulty and fail that quickly? Is there any other steps I should take in troubleshooting it?
Thanks in advance.
T.
Re: Hot end heater - Ormerod 2
November 15, 2015 06:09PM
I just had the exact same thing happen to me with a kit from Replikeo. The hotend heated once to 100 deg, dropped off and would not heat again. I tracked the problem down to the heating cartridge being faulty. Measuring its resistance, I get an open circuit, so no wonder it doesn't heat up (it should be 3-6 ohms).
Replikeo have been awful in their support and left me hanging, so I have ordered a replacement heating cartridge, hopefully that solves it.
November 16, 2015 03:54AM
You only have to get Replikeo on the nerves. That means if they do not react you should repeat your e-mails. But I had also trouble with them two times as they do not provide the right paperwork for the customs for example. Getting my replacement Duet was also not an easy task but it worked after roughly 5-10 e-mails.
From where did you order your replacement ehater cartidge? Be warned that not all will filt. If Replikeo uses the original nozzles you may have to use a 5mm heater cartridge. I am not sure what kind of heater cartridge is used at the quick nozzle set.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
November 16, 2015 06:39AM
@1pennyshort - thanks for the help. I've checked the resistance of the cartridge and it appears to be an open circuit too. Have contacted ReprapPro re a warranty replacement.
Thanks again.
T.
November 16, 2015 07:24AM
Sounds like "infant mortality". Most failures of electric and electronic components occur within the first few hours of use.

Dave
November 16, 2015 12:34PM
Treito
You only have to get Replikeo on the nerves. That means if they do not react you should repeat your e-mails. But I had also trouble with them two times as they do not provide the right paperwork for the customs for example. Getting my replacement Duet was also not an easy task but it worked after roughly 5-10 e-mails.
From where did you order your replacement ehater cartidge? Be warned that not all will filt. If Replikeo uses the original nozzles you may have to use a 5mm heater cartridge. I am not sure what kind of heater cartridge is used at the quick nozzle set.

Thanks, you're right. Amazon and ebay are full of 6mm cartridges, I needed a 50W, 12V, 5mm one, much harder to find. I ended up ordering from Reprappro.
My new printer is a paperweight until the cartridge gets here.
November 16, 2015 12:44PM
My cartridge broke after warranty and I only had 6mm cartridges so I decided to drill a 6mm whole into the block as I needed the Ormerod 1 urgently to finish the Ormerod 2 or to be correct to make the Ormerod 2 usable. So I know what I am talking about winking smiley

BTW I do not suggest to do this. It nearly killed the slot for the thermistor. Later I will replace the nozzle with the same type I use on the Ormerod 2 as soon as they have proven to work even though one is dead.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
November 17, 2015 05:11PM
Hi all,
Thanks for all the responses. Out of interest what's peoples experience of reprappro support? I logged a support request about the heater cartridge but am yet to hear back from them 24hrs later.
T.
November 17, 2015 05:59PM
It can take 2 or more dyas but normally they are very nice, but the support only consists of one or two people which could not handle the amount of requests so be patient.

November 17, 2015 06:21PM
Had the same issue when I commissioned my Orm2 over 12 months ago - the cartridge failed on first use. They were pretty good and sent a replacement within a couple of days, so I wouldn't worry too much winking smiley
November 18, 2015 06:37AM
Thanks lads smiling smiley
T.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login