Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bed total loss?

Posted by Fpex 
Bed total loss?
November 23, 2015 09:21AM
I just suffered a bed failure due to soldering and contact burning. To be honest, i have no idea what is going on and if i should try to recuperated this bed or replace it altogether.

See the photo here

[www.dropbox.com]

Any advice welcome, get a new one or try to repair this one somehow?
With a new one, can i skip mounting the led as i have no use for it?

Francesco

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
Re: Bed total loss?
November 23, 2015 09:30AM
That's not an uncommon occurrence with the original Ormerod 2 heated bed design. I suggest you contact RepRapPro support and see if they will ship you a new-design heated bed under warranty, or at least at a discount. You will need a new heated bed cable as well because the new design uses spade terminals. See tab "528.4 onwards" at [reprappro.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 23, 2015 09:52AM
looks like a much much better bed design.
I guess this gives me the opportunity to rebuilt the printed again and replace all parts I have redesigned for the z and Y axis, z rod, fan, etc. Soon there will be no original piece left.

I wish they would make a 30x30 off this bed since I am looking at making an OB1.4 printed with the duet and a 30x30 bed designed all around a kraken head and the new duet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 10:03AM by Fpex.

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
November 29, 2015 04:04PM
Hi Fpex,

I had a similar problem, not a total loss, but one of the contacts was getting extremely hot, to the point of singeing the Kapton tape covering it and some of the board. I simply soldered (being generous with the solder) wires between the bed cable terminals and the exposed bits of conductive trace on the top of the bed. This seems to have solved the problem. No more heating of the contacts, no burning smell and my bed heats much faster.

EDIT: If you do this, make sure you use thick enough wire, the bed draws around 10 amps. The red-and-black 13 A power supply wire from Maplin seems OK for this.

Bart

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2015 04:26PM by bartdietrich.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login