Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simplify3D and printing error

Posted by Treito 
Simplify3D and printing error
December 16, 2015 01:07AM
Hello,

as my X-carriage from my Ormerod 1 broke I decided to reprint a new one in ABS. Except for one error it looked very good. I even got very less warping. It was such a good print that I decided to reprint this peace also for my Ormerod 2. My 2 uses a X-carriage in a wrong color and the spare part in exactly the same color does not look that good.
The print for my Ormerod 2 suffers from the same error at exactly the same place. So I can say that this is not related to my filament. Simplify3D also does not show any suspicious things at this area. I guess it is probably caused by the needed bridging nearby. Maybe there was some ooze or so as the bridge may not have been perfect?
Here are some pictures and a screenshot:

Both together. The green one is for the Ormerod 2. Here you can see the problem a little bit better due the color, but the intensity is exactly the same in natural.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.

Re: Simplify3D and printing error
December 16, 2015 11:46AM
I'd guess that it is due to a slight amount of slack in a belt which makes a difference only when the perimeter direction changes at the top of the slot.

Dave
December 16, 2015 12:14PM
Hello Dave,

many than ks for the answer. But only at one small place? And exactly at the same? It is not moved in one direction and the printing happened diagonal, so it would have been both belts in this case at the exact same position.
I just checked the belts. They are still suitable as a bass instrument for example. grinning smiley

Sven

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
December 17, 2015 08:36AM
Yes, a small defect at always the same place is common, because it is a place on the print where the printing direction, start place or speed changes. You can often work out the reason by watching carefully as that section is printed and seeing what is different on that perimeter from all previous perimeters. It can be unexpected reasons as well - I had one print some time ago where a series of fast retract/unretract extruder moves made the X-arm vibrate a little and caused a slight line on the print at that place.

Dave
December 17, 2015 03:03PM
Hello Dave,

I still do not think that this would be a cause, but I am ready to make a deal, but probably not today. The green ABS is still feeded. The next print I do will be of the following: I will home the x+y axes. To be honest the coordinates 100,100 does not hit the center of my bed. After that I will move the head by 10mm or more. I cannot tell yet in what direction as I have to check the possibilities first. Then I will level my z-axis and do an ABL. I will not touch the file in any way so I have exactly the same conditions. If you are right the damage should move or it should be completely done.
But I cannot get it. It is only at that position and I have to areas where the print is slowed down at that x- and y- coordinates. So why I have two prints where this only occurs at the upper hole for the nut and not at the lower one? Or at another height?
Okay I have to be fair. I was wondering why you did not protest earlier at least after reading my signature. tongue sticking out smiley There is one noticeable change in the structure of the x-arm as my x-arm is printed (!) and I was not able to print the arm in one peace. So the two peaces hat to be put somewhere together and that area is nearby the printing area. But I watched out that the surface is as smooth as possible so there should not be any problems and if that would have been a problem why I did not have any trouble earlier? I carefully looked at the calibration parts and I also printed a filament duck and in that area was no further problem only the problem I had with this filament as it is not of a good quality. That is why I used it for the filament duck.
So is this a fair deal? I will try this as I am sure that this is not the reason? I will also not changing anything else on the printer. The belts still sounds good and even better than the ones of my (again) broken Ormerod 1.

Best regards,

Sven

December 18, 2015 07:44AM
No, you have misunderstood. The defect has nothing to do with the position on the bed, it is to do with a difference in the speed and/or direction of printing on a particular layer.

Dave
December 18, 2015 08:20AM
Ah okay, but according to the preview it seems to be inside a line direction. It is strange.

December 18, 2015 04:59PM
Is there an error in the model?

I found when I have checked what should be perfect models with netfabb they have issues.

Also I have had odd slicing behaviour with Simplyfy3D where the model was fine but there was some kind of interaction between the model height vs the layer height. I found by changing the layer height (sometimes just the first layer %) the model sliced correctly or moving the model 0.1mm down fixed it. But these showed up as a missing print layer in the preview yours looks ok.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 04:59PM by Firefox3D.
December 18, 2015 05:49PM
Everything regarding this would have been shown at the screenshot. There is indeed a problem with the model even after repairing it, but no errors at the preview.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login