Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OFF TOPIC--esun filament

Posted by appjaws1 
OFF TOPIC--esun filament
December 16, 2015 09:38AM
I need to buy some more filament the last time I purchased esun filament from galactic warehouse on ebay. Just looked to buy some more, to match the colours I have used but the message on ebay says ''This Shop currently has 0 listings''. It looks as if they have gone out of business.

Where else can I buy esun filament or is there another make that is just as good?

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
Re: OFF TOPIC--esun filament
December 16, 2015 09:44AM
appjaws1
I need to buy some more filament the last time I purchased esun filament from galactic warehouse on ebay. Just looked to buy some more, to match the colours I have used but the message on ebay says ''This Shop currently has 0 listings''. It looks as if they have gone out of business.

Where else can I buy esun filament or is there another make that is just as good?

Try Hobbyking Esun Filaments the UK Store is out of stock at moment but the EU Store has a fair amount of it at approx £10-11 per Kg depending on wether you want PLA or ABS they also have 0.5 kG Rolls as well.

Good Luck

Doug
December 16, 2015 12:40PM
In Europe eSun is often labeled as 3DPrima PrimaPLA and PrimaABS (not PrimaValue). I just ordered some spools from this company or by another distributor as they offered them for only 66% of the original price. It is absolutely and 100% exactly the same filament.
[www.3dprima.com]

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
December 16, 2015 01:12PM
Treito
In Europe eSun is often labeled as 3DPrima PrimaPLA and PrimaABS (not PrimaValue). I just ordered some spools from this company or by another distributor as they offered them for only 66% of the original price. It is absolutely and 100% exactly the same filament.
[www.3dprima.com]

Treat

That is almost double the price from Hobbyking (Euro 16.51 /Kg against 29.99 for PLA ABS is even cheaper at 14.91/Kg

Doug

But yes I agree looking at the pictures on there website it is the same stuff.
December 16, 2015 01:34PM
Like I said I bought it for 19.97€ per kg at a German distributor without any further costs.
I have one spool in silver already here and if you take a look at the labels you will see this. I also found somewhere else a confirmation that this is the same material.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
December 16, 2015 03:06PM
Treito
Like I said I bought it for 19.97€ per kg at a German distributor without any further costs.
I have one spool in silver already here and if you take a look at the labels you will see this. I also found somewhere else a confirmation that this is the same material.

Yes I agree it is the only filament I have seen on that type of Clear Plastic Reels

I quite like the ABS not used to much of their PLA as yet and I also quite like the 3dfilaments.ie PLA have a bit of that as well.

I do know that certain colours are more difficult than others i.e. Black is a little harder to print than there Blue this I believe is down to the pigments that alter the properties of the filament most of it is getting the temps right?

Doug
December 16, 2015 04:39PM
Meanwhile I try to print with higher temperatures. In most cases this works really good.

December 16, 2015 06:07PM
RepRapPro UK is the distributor of eSun's filament , you can find the colour from [reprappro.com] . If there is not filament you are looking for in this webshop, please leave the message or email to me , I could find the supplier for you as I can.

RepRapPro China 技术支持团队

西安锐普3D打印机有限公司
www.reprappro.com.cn
December 16, 2015 11:06PM
Is there any distributor in Germany? I have to trouble to get eSun here. That is why I temporarily switched to 3DPrima now. You can get several colors at Amazon for example, but not all. Especially the transparent colors are missing and I am not able to get anywhere the solid black PETG filament or at least to get it with a payable amount so other brands are much more attractive in this case.

December 17, 2015 08:30AM
Thank you for all the replies, it seems as if esun is becoming harder to find.
So what are the alternatives, at a reasonable price in the UK.

Prima PLA and 3Dfilaments, have been mentioned but I am interested in other users experience with different manufactures of PLA.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
December 17, 2015 03:13PM
I can add other manufacturers as I mention in the other thread before.
There is also Kiboplast and NuNus. The coils are slightly different, but the coloring and behaviour are exactly the same so I think it is the same material.Especially if you compare the green and yellow spools regarding PLA and ABS. both PLA are slightly transparent and compared to ABS is the coloring also different. Especially the differences of the coloring between ABS and PLA makes it noticeable that this must be the same material.
Okay lets start:
NuNus and Kiboplast ABS: The printing and warping behavior is exactly the same as eSun, but the colors are more brilliant. PLA: The colors are mostly slightly transparent and again more brilliant but the difference to eSun is not that much like ABS. The printing behaviour is difficult. The material tends to build blobs. eSun is much better regarding bridges and smoothness. But again: No difference regarding ABS.
3Dfilaments.ie PLA: Again more brilliant colors. These colors are more comparable to NuNus. The coils are completely different. The printing behaviour is between NuNus and eSun.
Jet PLA: Also own colors but nearby NuNus. The Printing behaviour is like 3DFilaments.ie
FormFutura EasyABS: Only silver was tested. Even though it should warp less it warps. So please save your money.

May be continued if requested. Especially for German distributors.

December 18, 2015 02:11PM
Thanks Treito, very interesting.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
December 18, 2015 03:07PM
hinestly, i am not so happy with esun. Most of the time it is ok but it delivery inferior resuls than things like colorfabb and the Difference in Price is not that big.
Sometimes esun has still impurities,, better than in the post, but it is stil happening and it jams everything!!
Also some of their colours are so irregulars in colouring when printing.

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
December 18, 2015 04:16PM
I tried and failed to buy some esun filament from HobbyKing's UK warehouse - all their esun filament is on backorder. I spoke to their man at the UK warehouse and apparently they will soon be stocking CoLiDo filament as they'd been getting complaints about the esun stuff.

Personally I'd found the esun stuff OK (apart from the blue PLA, which seemed to be half-way between translucent and solid - neither one or the other). The new stuff is only a little more expensive.
December 18, 2015 04:24PM
David J
I tried and failed to buy some esun filament from HobbyKing's UK warehouse - all their esun filament is on backorder. I spoke to their man at the UK warehouse and apparently they will soon be stocking CoLiDo filament as they'd been getting complaints about the esun stuff.

Personally I'd found the esun stuff OK (apart from the blue PLA, which seemed to be half-way between translucent and solid - neither one or the other). The new stuff is only a little more expensive.

There eu warehouse has reasonable stock levels tho.
December 18, 2015 04:32PM
dougal1957

The advantage of the UK warehouse is that it's just 30 minutes drive from where I live, so no postage!
December 19, 2015 03:26AM
David J
dougal1957

The advantage of the UK warehouse is that it's just 30 minutes drive from where I live, so no postage!

I wish but I can see why you want to use the UK one then
December 19, 2015 05:02AM
appjaws1
Thanks Treito, very interesting.
You are welcome. I am waiting for the green spools. On some pictures one green spool is very very pale (can I say that to colors?). I ordered both ABS and PLA material. I also tried PETG from eSun and from an unknown brand. (As I ordered the unknown brand eSun was too expensive, but later the price dropped for eSun).
The green colors and the price will be helping me to decide if I will keep with eSun. I would prefer to use all colors from one material from one manufacturer. Regarding ABS I am quite unsure as I really do not like the red color very much. The blue ABS is okay because it is only slightly different to the other brands but only a little bit less brilliant in direct comparison. The cheapest ones in my small test above are the one from Jet. If you buy two you will get each 1kg for less than 19€. eSun between 20€ and 30€. NuNus between 18€ and 26€ (depending on the color) so Kiboplast also depends from the color and is between 21€ and 27€.
Besides the yellow ABS from NuNus is very interesting: Because of the color tone and the very brilliant yellow you notice the layers and other pattern less. I have no spool from eSun but in this case they seem to have a similar color. Unfortunately I have too much spools in yellow at the moment so I am not interested in buying also an additional spool.

December 19, 2015 09:00AM
I have had some black PLA delivered from ebay seller Doogeegrow and is labeled ''Excelvan''. Ordered 14th, delivered 18th. I have done a few test prints and the quality seems to be very good.
I also bought a reel of blue, which I'll test over the weekend.

Anybody else tried this make?

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
January 03, 2016 04:26AM
So a year passes, I wonder anyone tried ''Excelvan'' yet?
January 11, 2016 07:22AM
Most of my spools arrived.

The coloring of the green PLA is really lovely. Wow the best green tone I have ever seen. (Peak green). The ABS variant is much lighter. It is okay. Just different. You cannot say for both colors that there are good or bad compared to other colors except for the ABS red. But the PLA peak green ist in my eyes the best tone. It is a little bit darker than the others. It is like the NuNus PLA but no translucent.
The orange PLA (ABS was not available sad smiley ) is also a light one, but still good looking.
But I have trouble with the PLA silver: The new one is much lighter than my old one. It is totally different. I guess I could have gotten ABS instead of PLA as accident. I contacted 3DPrima and also my vendor. §DPrima just answered: There was a change in production. I got now PLA+. That are the new spools from eSun. I am happy about this because eSun offers moere colors now and improved the behavior of the PLA, Maybe the ABS is getting better colors, too.

February 11, 2016 09:00AM
I have used the Excelvan ABS and the quality is very good compared to the unbranded ABS I had been using. I've used their Green, yellow, white, red and purple filaments so far, and I'm planning to order more from them.
Highly recommended, but then, I've never used a "Premium" filament, so cannot honestly compare. I had been buying filament from Doria-Store, but after I had a spool which would not print (due to moisture) and even when I dried it out, it just got chewed up by the extruder, and the tolerance varied quite a bit. In comparison the Excelvan leaves very little residue/dust in the extruder, seems to have a tight tolerance and has no moisture issues. And it is cheap!
February 11, 2016 01:39PM
I too have been printing with Excelvan, Red and Silver PLA. And eSun black. All seem good so far. Black is a bit tricky but I suspect that is because it retains heat a lot more than the others.
February 11, 2016 01:53PM
Why do you think that black is tricky? I didn't see another behavior. Okay I used eSun PLA+.

February 11, 2016 02:26PM
I have used a full reel of black and was very pleased with the quality from excelvan, I have had all sorts of problems with white PLA and have ordered a reel from excelvan I expect it to be as good as the black.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
February 12, 2016 03:05AM
It was probably more the lack of cooling on my O2, black didn't seem to lay as well. Increasing cooling and dropping hot end temp helped.
February 12, 2016 06:56AM
Dark filaments often benefit from a slightly lower hotend temp (5-10 degrees lower)

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login