alternative display for a duet 6.0 board ?
December 19, 2015 08:10AM
can i connect a RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller to a duet 6.0 board ? or is the only option this expensive paneldue diplay ?
Re: alternative display for a duet 6.0 board ?
December 19, 2015 10:07AM
The RepRapDiscount display won't work on a Duet - only the paneldue will work.

However, you really don't need a display, unless you have a special need. It is very easy to connect via ethernet, either via a router or direct off the back of a PC with a network outlet (many PC motherboards have one). The web interface is pretty good.

Otherwise it can work directly from RepetierHost or Pronterface, via USB.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 10:08AM by David J.
December 19, 2015 12:22PM
If you want to save some money on the PanelDue, you can buy the controller from me, the TFT panel from China via eBay, and make the cable yourself. You can also choose which display size to use - the 7 inch display is awesome on a large printer!

The advantage of buying the complete kit from T3P3 is that everything is provided and the components have been tested together. That said, none of my direct customers has reported receiving a faulty display panel.

I am hoping to reduce the PanelDue controller board price for the next production batch, because demand has increased significantly in recent months so I am able to have a larger batch manufactured.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 19, 2015 03:16PM
dc42
If you want to save some money on the PanelDue, you can buy the controller from me, the TFT panel from China via eBay, and make the cable yourself. You can also choose which display size to use - the 7 inch display is awesome on a large printer!

The advantage of buying the complete kit from T3P3 is that everything is provided and the components have been tested together. That said, none of my direct customers has reported receiving a faulty display panel.

I don't find the PanelDue expensive at all - this is a special product with a limited range of costumers and must have required a lot of R&D compared to the scale of sale, ad to that the amount time spend on support!

I was lucky to get 2 displays from china that worked perfectly (but you may not be) and slipped right through custom without any...ehh...paper work (but yours may not), the total cost for the 2 displays was £31.64 postage included

..and the size of 4.3" is IMHO perfect for the printer, I have no problem using this display with a stylus

Erik
December 19, 2015 07:25PM
thanks
December 19, 2015 09:30PM
When you look at the prices of 3D printer I think the cost of the paneldue is not that bad to add to your printer. I cannot wait to build my printer and add the display.
December 20, 2015 01:21AM
ormerod168
I don't find the PanelDue expensive at all

I do not think so. The pricing from T3P3 is far too much. I was lucky to get the Controller board on the Black Friday sale and also some cheap Chinese 4.3" displays. I may have even get cheaper ones but I was not sure if they would have been right ones as the description was not good enough to check this. In this description especially Arduino was mentioned.
But even with that total sum I would have been able to get an suitable Pi with display. However like Erik said this is a special product so buying the display from China and the controller from dc42 is barely okay. The problem with the Pi is for example that there is now optimization for the display. That means you have to modify the configuration files and you would have to write your own homepage especially for the Pi. With the PanelDue this is already ready so that is why I said the price is barely okay.

However it is a nice tool, but for me personally I would have been satisfied with a display which only shows status information (for the Ormerod). I only equipped my second Ormerod with the PanelDue. The second one I bought is meant for my new printer and it will be fully integrated into the design.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login