Re: RepRapPro closing down
January 05, 2016 01:02AM
Fisher is old news actually.
Treat, just use : wget -m [reprappro.com] .... on linux or OS X

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
January 05, 2016 01:14AM
Hey I am only a Spanish rock (It was not intended as I did not know about this rock as I choosed that nick long time ago).

I did not want to mirror the whole domain. And I am on Linux (Mint 17.3 Cinnamon).

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
January 05, 2016 01:32AM
:-)

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
January 05, 2016 07:26AM
droftarts
Sorry about this, everyone, and thanks for all your support over the years.

I was made redundant on 11th December. I've stayed away from the forums since then to avoid any embarrassing questions, until there was an official announcement. I'll help out where I can, though I don't actually own an Omerod! I do have a Fisher, though, and might be able to have the Tall-merod at some point.

Anyone want to employ a technical support engineer?! Any (helpful) suggestions gratefully received!

Ian
ex-RepRapPro tech support

That is indeed sad news, and a redundancy so close to Christmas is always doubly painful. I would certainly offer you employment if we had a slot available - I think that your support on this forum over the years and your work on the documentation is better than any CV could be regarding your qualifications and quality of work.

Out of curiosity and if it is not sensitive information, what do you think went wrong? A small company selling via a large retailer such as RS is a bold move. Such a steep ramp-up will always cause scaling problems both in manufacturing capacity and cash-flow, but from the outside it appeared that RRP had managed to claw through, had become far more professional and were well on the way to success. Did RRP go bust or get sold?

Dave
January 05, 2016 11:41AM
Oh no! That is really sad news, I'm sorry to hear about you being made redundant Ian. Happened to me once, also before Christmas (why do they have to do it at this time of the year??), and it was certainly not a fun experience. But like others here have said, your track record of support on these forums is better than any CV. I remember your helpful and patient input when I was putting together my first Ormerod and am very appreciative of it. Hopefully you will find something soon.

On a more selfish note, I am worried now as to what will happen with sourcing spare parts. I operate two Ormerod 2s (one at home and one at work). If a printable part breaks, it can be printed on the other printer and some of the other components (e.g. the motors) are industry standards from what I understand. But what if I fry the Duet or Shield boards, or need a new nozzle (as someone here has already mentioned)? I have invested a lot of time (and money) in these printers and would hate to have to switch to a different brand (and spend more time and money) because I can't get replacement parts. Is there scope here for someone else to look into taking over making spares? (dc42 for electronics for example?)

Bart
January 05, 2016 01:01PM
Hi all

Bad time to produce printers or kits in UK! ... the same for many other productions.
A war of currencies hinders free trade.

Thanks a lot Adrian, Thanks Sally a big Thanks to Ian (sure you will find something interesting!)
All the best!

Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
January 05, 2016 01:23PM
bartdietrich
Oh no! That is really sad news, I'm sorry to hear about you being made redundant Ian. Happened to me once, also before Christmas (why do they have to do it at this time of the year??), and it was certainly not a fun experience. But like others here have said, your track record of support on these forums is better than any CV. I remember your helpful and patient input when I was putting together my first Ormerod and am very appreciative of it. Hopefully you will find something soon.

On a more selfish note, I am worried now as to what will happen with sourcing spare parts. I operate two Ormerod 2s (one at home and one at work). If a printable part breaks, it can be printed on the other printer and some of the other components (e.g. the motors) are industry standards from what I understand. But what if I fry the Duet or Shield boards, or need a new nozzle (as someone here has already mentioned)? I have invested a lot of time (and money) in these printers and would hate to have to switch to a different brand (and spend more time and money) because I can't get replacement parts. Is there scope here for someone else to look into taking over making spares? (dc42 for electronics for example?)

Bart

I have checked ebay and seems there are plenty of Fake nozzles and the like. You can also buy E3D(or other nozzle) and adapt your Ormerod to it, and i do belive other companys sell the duets like replikeo and some other like [www.think3dprint3d.com].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2016 01:25PM by Darathy.
January 05, 2016 01:28PM
bartdietrich

The Duet board is still provided by Replikeo even though an older version, but it runs fine. Or you can upgrade to version 0.85 which is available at the main manufacturer Think3DPrint3D. For the nozzle there are some designs at thingiverse for using other nozzle types. I uses such kind of a nozzle with my Ormerod 2 and it works really good. More complicated would be an update to a second nozzle for example as it is hard to get the hobbed insert or you have to pay a lot of money for it. So maybe someone will design a complete new extruder for the Ormerod with standard components?

But I still feel very sorry for Ian.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
January 05, 2016 04:18PM
on searching online, i came across this site

[www.robofun.ch]

they they are based in Sweden and doesn't have much of the parts needed, but it does have the hobbed inserts, bowden start and ends, heat sinks, nozzles and blocks

motors seem a tad bigger from the specs so not sure they will fit the printed parts mainly for the Y axis
January 05, 2016 05:05PM
You only can use motors with a depth of 34mm for the y- and Z-axis, but there are many suitable motors out there. My Ormerod 2 is not equipped with original motors for example, but they also work perfectly.

January 05, 2016 05:59PM
Thats sad news. I would also be interested in some quickset nozzles as spare parts. I wish all involved luck for their future.
January 05, 2016 06:09PM
Dear All:

Closing-down of RRP-UK is a sad news for our customers and supporters, certainly it is also pity to our RRP-China. As mentioned in reprappro.com, RRP-China will continue our business . We will announce which service could be provided to our customers outside of China in due course.

Many thanks for your continuous support!

RepRapPro China 技术支持团队

西安锐普3D打印机有限公司
www.reprappro.com.cn
January 05, 2016 06:44PM
orictosh
DADIY
Good question, the domain reprap.org is owned by Adrian Bowyer who ran reprap pro. Perhaps someone could tweet him and ask. Reprappro are currently ignoring my tweets.

Sally's last tweet was just before Christmas and the Reprap pro account has been quiet also. Adrian's has been active in the last 5 days.
I have just tweeted him with a link to this forum post asking what happens after the 15th. Could be a positive thing rather negative.

Earlier this evening I had a reply from Adrian stating that a more detailed message about the future will be posted to the rep-rap forums in a few days

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
January 05, 2016 09:48PM
reprapprochina
Dear All:

Closing-down of RRP-UK is a sad news for our customers and supporters, certainly it is also pity to our RRP-China. As mentioned in reprappro.com, RRP-China will continue our business . We will announce which service could be provided to our customers outside of China in due course.

Many thanks for your continuous support!

That would be great. My Chinese is not very good at the moment or in other words: I do not understand anything. In other words: That means you would have to do some work to translate your homepage to English (maybe by using parts of the pages here?).

@Fpex I grabbed now the page by using
wget -mkEp [reprappro.com]
but it ended up with 1.5GB download size. The documentation only was 74MB. That is what I meant.

January 06, 2016 01:43AM
Hmmm... I bought another Ormerod for the company just before year end. I would have probably not done that had I any indication that there would be no backup a month later. sad smiley
January 06, 2016 10:30AM
Very sad to hear about this.

Getting spare nozzles and such is going to be very difficult - although the switch to quick set nozzles had already made that a problem for most of us. Hopefully someone will at least have these parts for sale..... but the PDF schematics for them are on github.

I feel like this has come out of nowhere, it seemed like RRP was doing fine, they introduced a new printer etc. I'm also irked that we got such little notice.... it seems like they knew this when they 'closed for the holidays' but only tell us that they are closing in 10 days.

I'm also hoping to order some spares before they close, but it doesn't look like that's going to be an option..... what's happening to extra stock?

Also, sorry to hear about your job Ian
January 06, 2016 12:11PM
Sorry about your job Ian, I think it is pretty classless to lay someone off 2 weeks before christmas, amidst the holiday season and all. I hope you had some notice at least or got at least a pleasant parting gift as a kick out the door in December is a poor reward for good service rendered.

Also a bit disturbed by the claim of RRP getting out while they're ahead, and the rapid cessation of support. What about everyone who ordered in the past month believing they would be getting support from RRP? Seems like this had been thought on for a bit and sprung on everyone else. Not cool, not very open either.
January 06, 2016 01:47PM
achaz
Also a bit disturbed by the claim of RRP getting out while they're ahead, and the rapid cessation of support. What about everyone who ordered in the past month believing they would be getting support from RRP? Seems like this had been thought on for a bit and sprung on everyone else. Not cool, not very open either.

I cannot believe that is the reason. If you own a business that is "ahead" and you want to get out, you would sell it as a going concern - either to another individual or company, or by selling all or some of its shares to its employees or the public. Either way the company will stay in business either as-is or under a different name, and not need to make anyone immediately redundant. A successful business will be sold (or floated) for many times the amount that could be realized by simply cashing in its assets, and the owner still gets to retire or move to a different field (albeit usually after a contracted handover period if he is key to the operation). There would never be any sense in just shutting down a profitable company, even if it had a sole owner who became unable to run it for some reason.

Dave
January 06, 2016 04:13PM
Confirmed Dave. I think so, too. Besides it was very quickly. If the company would have run very well and you decide to close it for the reasons that were named you would pronounce this earlier and you would take care about the spare parts and service. Maybe you even would do a big sale. Look at Vorty who ordered and bought a printer short before the shutdown. I have never heard from a similar case like this before. Who knows what the real reason is. Maybe something totally different. Maybe healthy reasons. Maybe financially reasons, but only because they are afraid of not being able to expand? This is no reason to close a company that quick.

January 06, 2016 04:55PM
Treito
Confirmed Dave. I think so, too. Besides it was very quickly. If the company would have run very well and you decide to close it for the reasons that were named you would pronounce this earlier and you would take care about the spare parts and service. Maybe you even would do a big sale. Look at Vorty who ordered and bought a printer short before the shutdown. I have never heard from a similar case like this before. Who knows what the real reason is. Maybe something totally different. Maybe healthy reasons. Maybe financially reasons, but only because they are afraid of not being able to expand? This is no reason to close a company that quick.

I bought an Ormerod 2 on the 18th Dec and spent the Christmas break building it. Once built I found out that the Voltage regulator was faulty and giving out 10v, which caused the machine to reboot all the time, this has since led to the X motor controller developing a fault and now doesn't work, so I am stuck with a printer that isn't working. I emailed support and Adrian said they would replace the Duet and regulator board under warranty, but I haven't heard from them since, despite many emails. I even went to the RepRap unit near Bristol to see if I could swap the board out there and then, because I got worried about the closing down statement on the site. There was a guy there (Jean-Marc I think) but he understandably didn't know anything about the warranty and couldn't do anything. Even now I still haven't heard anything back from Adrian or Sally, so am unable to use the printer. I've gone so far as ordering a new A4982 from eBay so worst case I have to try some SMD rework (without a heat gun) and replace the chip myself. Very disappointing, I just want to be able to use my printer!
January 06, 2016 05:08PM
Hi folks, just got one for Xmas as a gift, arrived today.
Logged on here and I have to say I really hope my build goes problem free and there are no issues with duff components.

Hopefully more info will be forthcoming about spares, warranty etc.
January 06, 2016 06:16PM
My guess is that RRP was either already making a loss, or it was clear that it would be after Christmas. There are reasons why it may not be possible to sell a company as a going concern even if it has products of value, for example if it has long term commitments to pay rent on the premises it operates from. But when the products are all open source, there can be little if any intrinsic monetary value in them, only in whatever reputation the company has built up.

unstable
There was a guy there (Jean-Marc I think) but he understandably didn't know anything about the warranty and couldn't do anything.

Jean-Marc is a director of RepRapPro and with his wife owns 50% of RRP through his company Emaker. He has essentially been the boss of RepRapPro since Adrian took a back seat some time ago, and I understand that he developed the Fisher.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 06, 2016 06:19PM
unstable
Treito

I bought an Ormerod 2 on the 18th Dec and spent the Christmas break building it. Once built I found out that the Voltage regulator was faulty and giving out 10v, which caused the machine to reboot all the time, this has since led to the X motor controller developing a fault and now doesn't work, so I am stuck with a printer that isn't working. I emailed support and Adrian said they would replace the Duet and regulator board under warranty, but I haven't heard from them since, despite many emails. I even went to the RepRap unit near Bristol to see if I could swap the board out there and then, because I got worried about the closing down statement on the site. There was a guy there (Jean-Marc I think) but he understandably didn't know anything about the warranty and couldn't do anything. Even now I still haven't heard anything back from Adrian or Sally, so am unable to use the printer. I've gone so far as ordering a new A4982 from eBay so worst case I have to try some SMD rework (without a heat gun) and replace the chip myself. Very disappointing, I just want to be able to use my printer!

That's harsh losing the A4982 on duet board, those boards are pricey, would have been nice if they poped out the same as a ramps based controller rather than on-board.

I bought a rep-rap pro hardware kit for Ormerod 2 around Dec 2014, printed the other parts on a Prusa Mendel threaded rod frame, which I fixed first, upgraded to duel extruder with quick set nozzles in the Summer, emailed Ian a lot about getting it working, seen the documentation improve from the Ormerod 1, helped debugged the RRP Firmware many times, I was on v0.7 of the firmware when I started the build.
I say it's not most reliable of printers, it takes effort to produce good prints but liked the open build area and not stuck with a branded machine, also upgraded the x-rib with Dave's aluminium one.

They stated that they would support warranty up to the 15th Jan.
I have a spare regulator [www.3dprintandstuff.co.uk]

The parts and support are out there, it's just a shock that RepRap Pro would post such a notice upon the site, that was becoming a one stop shop for the Ormerod 2 printer as rep rap designs before that one are well supported such as the huxley, menel and prusa, whereas the ormerod 2 is not as much.
Rep Rap Pro even stuck a duet board upon the old Huxley design. Talk about a re-launch of an old design. Did they have too many drinks during the shutdown?

I have also made enquires about the getting the quick set nozzles and the upgrade kit made but I'm also thinking there are lots of made parts that can't be bought yet as the machined parts take high precision to produce.

The work and effort needed to produce a hardware kit for the Ormerod 2 is vast as everything is labelled and documented upon receiving your hardware kit from Rep Rap Pro Ltd, unlike other kits which are put together on a shoestring or pre-built though a campaign so the maker/builder/receiver of the printer has no idea how to fix it or what components were used, so the end user ends up feeling let down and dumps the idea of 3d printing due to poorly managed process.
For example on the Ormerod 2 MXL belts are use but every other supplier of rep rap based printer parts are selling GT2 belts, makes no sense to me just replace like for like when a non printed part fails.

Lets see what happens around the 15th
January 06, 2016 06:43PM
orictosh
For example on the Ormerod 2 MXL belts are use but every other supplier of rep rap based printer parts are selling GT2 belts

I'm using GT2's on my Ormerod. The steps seem to be a bit inaccurate, but so far I've assumed it's a configuration issue.

There are a few parts on the O2 that seem to be made specifically by RRP. The brass unions, hobbed inserts, and 5mm acrylic parts come to mind. I think those supply challenges can be overcome with a bit of ingenuity.

I wish there were more suppliers for Duet boards. I love the board, but it would be nice if someone could figure out how to use RAMPS as an alternative to the Duet, if the Duet becomes unavailable.
January 06, 2016 08:00PM
0x0000
orictosh
For example on the Ormerod 2 MXL belts are use but every other supplier of rep rap based printer parts are selling GT2 belts

0x0000
I'm using GT2's on my Ormerod. The steps seem to be a bit inaccurate, but so far I've assumed it's a configuration issue.

Could be that the pitch between the teeth is different, some belts used aren't designed for linear motion. MXL belts are mentioned in RepRapPro documentation.
I also had problems with the corner of squares not being square, kept adjusting the steps value in config.g but Ian stated it's a mechanical based system, made to tight tolerances so the values set and mentioned in the documentation should be correct. check the steps value using a large known length and gain new value using the widely available formula for a new steps_per_mm value.

0x0000
There are a few parts on the O2 that seem to be made specifically by RRP. The brass unions, hobbed inserts, and 5mm acrylic parts come to mind. I think those supply challenges can be overcome with a bit of ingenuity.

Most of or all the files are on rep-rap pro git-hub page using a number based system, which does have a BOM file to say what number is what part so you need to work to find out what is needed. Also locked into solid works file formats so need that program to view them, some are .dwf which is a good format for the laser machine to the cut the parts, I was able to find a PDF file relating to a 0.3mm quick set nozzle which showed the engineering drawing needed to produce the item to the correct sizes and tolerances needed.

0x0000
I wish there were more suppliers for Duet boards. I love the board, but it would be nice if someone could figure out how to use RAMPS as an alternative to the Duet, if the Duet becomes unavailable.

The site [www.think3dprint3d.com] designed and open sourced the design, there is a fork to the git-hub files upon the RepRapPro page, maybe it's cost, lack of knowledge or non-understanding which stops there being more suppliers.

You wouldn't want a ramps based system upon a modern based 3D Printer, it used an Arduino 16 bit Uno chip, whereas the Duet is 32 bit processing chip.
The duet is able process more data, maybe in future a print controller will be 64 bit, have multiple cores have a Computer Vision system so rather than hitting print you show it the item or design. Also it could detect a fail and recover by placing encoders upon the stepper motors.

The good part about the ramps based controller was that the stepper drivers (the A4982 part) where plugged into pin headers on the board rather than surface mounted, so when you short them or overload them you can replace them easily. No need to learn surface mount soldering.
There is also a design flaw (IMHO) that most stepper motors draw/can draw 2A under load and the mostly available driver chip has a max amps rating below that.
So it runs hot, overheats, misses steps and needs to use copper.
Seems a bit sad that, wouldn't it better to produce a chip that handles 2.5Amps so it runs better, longer and cooler.

Think3DPrint3D sell an ice blue stepper driver which uses a large area of copper, with optional heat sink which runs cooler. That would be my choice.
In fact I have just remembered that the chip needs the heat sink on the underside of PCB not the top side, so yet another design flaw.
January 07, 2016 12:09AM
@0000 did you exchange the pulleys, too? You will have to set the M92 parameter as the pitch is different. I am considering that exchange, too.

January 07, 2016 01:29AM
As a busines owner, I know there are many reasons for the sudden closure of a company, none of which I would like to post here as they are not good reasons. Almost every case of closure there is time to make an announcement, time to try and take every penny by selling off stock, time for employees to look for other work, many many opportunities that so far I do not see as being taken.

It is very odd indeed, especially with new products being launched etc.

I think this forum and its users deserves a full and frank statement from RRP at the least.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
January 07, 2016 02:31AM
Treito
@0000 did you exchange the pulleys, too? You will have to set the M92 parameter as the pitch is different. I am considering that exchange, too.

GT2 pulleys as well. Y-axis was easy, but I had to sand out the edges of the x-arm a little bit to make the GT2 pulley fit. The belts I got don't stretch at all, even with handtools, and I had a very difficult time getting them into the carriage clamps. I ended up delicately sanding the y-clamps to get the teeth to grab the belt.

I couldn't find MXLs in New Zealand, though I hear they're commonly available in sewing machine repair shops overseas. Alternatively, there are printed designs for GT2 on Thingiverse here , and here (GT2 belt), and here (MXL belt), if you don't mind experimenting with printed pulleys and belts!
January 07, 2016 03:39AM
I use wrong pulleys at my Ormerod 2 (20 teeth instead of 18). For my new printer design I already ordered GT2 components. I have a universal SCAD-file from thingiverse where I can get printable designs for the most common pulleys and where I can even change the details like amount of teeth. But I prefer to use aluminium poulleys as these are precision components and you cannot reach this precision even though I am wondering if such a high precision is really needed.
Meanwhile I got some 18 teeth MXL pulleys. I have now to decide which system I will use when I maintain my Ormerod 2.

I only asked because it is important to have the right pulleys for the belt even though the belt may seem to fit on the pulley but it will not. (pitch GT2: 2mm, MXL: 2.032mm)

January 07, 2016 04:01AM
I have some regulators that I can use to replace the faulty one, but it's the stepper controller that is holding me up at the moment. 3 days now and no reply sad smiley starting to worry if I will get a replacement before the 15th and don't want to have to return the lot to RS as I doubt they have spares.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login