Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to wire up a Duet 0.8.5?

Posted by 0x0000 
Re: How to wire up a Duet 0.8.5?
January 25, 2016 03:56AM
Also, on what material is your Duet mounted? I don't have a stainless steel enclosure and cannot yet print my own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 03:57AM by 0x0000.
January 25, 2016 04:01AM
The ferrules are according to the wire dimensions. My PSU connection uses 0.75mm² and the other one is 2.5mm². The bed uses 1.5mm². The last two connections are the biggest ones that fits into the screw terminals.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
January 25, 2016 04:06AM
0x0000
Also, on what material is your Duet mounted? I don't have a stainless steel enclosure and cannot yet print my own.

Ahm.. I do not like to answer that as it was temporarily solution (for the last 6 months). I needed the MK2 to fix my MK1 and vice versa. I was not able to print my case yet (as I stll need to design it), but it was part of another package of my HDD. At the supermarket you sometimes get your eggs in such kind of material. But hey even screws fits. I am far far away of beeing lucky with that and I soon will print my own case. My MK1 will be rebuild as MK2, too. I already switched the PSU and I would like to mount it to the printer.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
PRZ
January 25, 2016 07:15PM
It is only very recently that created the page about crimping on the wiki that you referred to [reprap.org], so that is the reason it may not yet be well referenced.
Treito, your photos are nice, can I reuse them on the Reprap Wiki ? The documentation licence on the wiki is GFDL 1.2. And if you could allow a double licencing with CC BY-SA, that may spreed on a larger scope (that is Wikipedia licensing and a lot of personal sites also).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 07:17PM by PRZ.
January 25, 2016 09:55PM
Treito
0x0000

Ahm.. I do not like to answer that as it was temporarily solution (for the last 6 months). I needed the MK2 to fix my MK1 and vice versa. I was not able to print my case yet (as I stll need to design it), but it was part of another package of my HDD. At the supermarket you sometimes get your eggs in such kind of material. But hey even screws fits. I am far far away of beeing lucky with that and I soon will print my own case. My MK1 will be rebuild as MK2, too. I already switched the PSU and I would like to mount it to the printer.

No worries! I've actually used cable ties to attach mine to the cardboard it came in. Egg cartons are a decent temporary solution ... I just need to get my printer going for long enough to print an enclosure! Am also going to print some TNuts so I can properly fasten things to my aluminium extrusions
January 25, 2016 11:17PM
PRZ
It is only very recently that created the page about crimping on the wiki that you referred to [reprap.org], so that is the reason it may not yet be well referenced.
Treito, your photos are nice, can I reuse them on the Reprap Wiki ? The documentation licence on the wiki is GFDL 1.2. And if you could allow a double licencing with CC BY-SA, that may spreed on a larger scope (that is Wikipedia licensing and a lot of personal sites also).

I posted them here so you are free to use them if you think so.

January 28, 2016 02:33AM
I found some ferrules @Treito. I hope these make you less sick!

2.5mm ferrules. I tried with 25A cable, but it wouldn't fit into the ferrule. This is 15A and thicker than the previous ones. 20A wasn't available:

0.75mm ferrules, which were the smallest I could get.

The big ones are in there VERY tight - there's no way those are coming out unless I unscrew them myself. I can't believe I tried to do this without them! However, the little ones on the hotend don't seem to fit into the terminals. I had to pinch the tips a little bit with pliers to get them where they are now, and the screws do seem to be holding them in place. Do those look OK, or should I try harder?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2016 04:10AM by 0x0000.
January 28, 2016 08:29AM
From another thread it seems that the PCB tracks going to the bed are a bit too thin to take the current reliably, so while you are rewiring you could maybe solder some wire between the ends of the tracks to increase the current capacity. I have not done so with my Duet and it has held up OK, but I have the original Duet board, and I don't know if the tracks were changed with the later versions.

Dave
January 28, 2016 10:35AM
I used three versions of the Duet 0.6 and my PCB tracks never burnt down.

January 29, 2016 03:44AM
0x0000
I found some ferrules @Treito. I hope these make you less sick!

2.5mm ferrules. I tried with 25A cable, but it wouldn't fit into the ferrule. This is 15A and thicker than the previous ones. 20A wasn't available:
[attachment 71007 big-ferrules.jpg]

0.75mm ferrules, which were the smallest I could get.
[attachment 71006 little-ferrules.jpg]

The big ones are in there VERY tight - there's no way those are coming out unless I unscrew them myself. I can't believe I tried to do this without them! However, the little ones on the hotend don't seem to fit into the terminals. I had to pinch the tips a little bit with pliers to get them where they are now, and the screws do seem to be holding them in place. Do those look OK, or should I try harder?

It is a little bit better.
You can shorten the ferrules so that the isolated part ends at the terminals and there is no blank part (or not much of it) outside the terminal. If you use the Duet board 0.6 the ferrules are a tight fit and according to the documentation you need a crimping tools that crimps in a square. Okay I have manged it using a normal crimping tool but again it was a tight fit. The result should look like my picture before. (except for the colors. There is no definition for the colors of the ferrules)

BTW it is not allowed to crimp the isoloated part of the ferrules and I could insert them by hand into the terminals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 03:45AM by Treito.

January 29, 2016 08:29PM
I've got the new Duet all wired up and powered on with the 12V power supply. I did a stress test last night and was able to get the bed and the hotend up to ABS temperatures, so the ferrules and power supply are holding up well! The proximity sensor is also working correctly, so my earlier homework is correct!thumbs up

However, when I try to move the stepper motors in Pronterface, I am welcomed with that annoying grinding sound that would usually happen when the motor was miswired, or the connection was poor. The looms are brand new from T3PD and despite the different colours, they're functionally identical to my old ones in that they attach to the same motor pins. The wiring appears to be correct, and the only other things that have changed are the Duet 0.8.5 and the DC42 firmware (1.09r). Are the stepper motor pins different between those two firmwares?

UPDATE: I've installed one old wiring loom on one motor, and it's working. Now all of my looms are suspect!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 09:00PM by 0x0000.
January 30, 2016 02:36AM
Unfortunately, different stepper motor manufacturers use different pinouts on the stepper motors. I bought looms from Robotdigg to make a printer, and I had to swap a couple of wires in each loom to make them work with the motors I had. Then I switched to a different make of motor and I had to swap them all back again. It's easy to do, just disengage the barb on the crimp pin and pull it out. Do this for the two inner pins of the 4 pin connector, then push them back in the other way round.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 02:37AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 30, 2016 02:54AM
I'm up and going again! The new Duet is working great smiling smiley All four steppers are stepping, all of the heaters are heating, and the sensors are sensing. But now I'm having extruder issues... I just can't win!
January 30, 2016 03:14AM
dc42
Unfortunately, different stepper motor manufacturers use different pinouts on the stepper motors. I bought looms from Robotdigg to make a printer, and I had to swap a couple of wires in each loom to make them work with the motors I had. Then I switched to a different make of motor and I had to swap them all back again. It's easy to do, just disengage the barb on the crimp pin and pull it out. Do this for the two inner pins of the 4 pin connector, then push them back in the other way round.

So that means I am lucky to be able to swap the motors between my Ormerod 1 and 2 easily?

Do you know the connection scheme of this motor? [www.robotdigg.com]

February 04, 2016 04:59PM
Guys, how can i wire up the stock RRP bed level sensor to this duet and why is that my ned and hot end temps are so wrong? Can somebody share a config file for this board?
Thanks

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
February 04, 2016 06:28PM
Fpex
Guys, how can i wire up the stock RRP bed level sensor to this duet and why is that my ned and hot end temps are so wrong? Can somebody share a config file for this board?
Thanks

Do you mean the proximity probe? I got mine from Replikeo but I assume it's the same one. Using the RRP wiring colours, here's what I came up with:

PC10 replaces AD14 from the Duet 0.6:

Orange/red = AD12
Yellow = GND
Blue = PC10
Green = 3V3

Your hotend and bed temps could be wrong for a few reasons, but if your Duet 0.6 is from an older batch you might not have compensated for the 4700 ohm resistor used in the temperature circuit. Alternatively, your thermistor may not be 100K; in both cases, you can adjust values in the config.g file with dc42's firmware. I'll post my config file and a picture of my probe wiring later today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2016 06:30PM by 0x0000.
February 05, 2016 01:29AM
Thanks a lot!
My older duet had the 1k, i assume the new duet has the 4.7k then. I always got confused on what came first,

February 05, 2016 02:57AM
My 0.8.5 is properly wired now and config.g ok.
Thanks guys. I hate flying wires, but this is a temporary thing to see if my duet0.6 is broken

Anybody has designed a case for the 0.8.5 (with and without 4x board)?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 04:32AM by Fpex.

February 05, 2016 12:50PM
i'm still trying to design one, but atm making not much progress ,i think someone posted nearly finished version in an erlier post on this topic
February 05, 2016 02:19PM
I am going to gove it also a try once i get a second one ... since I am not touching my flying wires ormerod till i get all crimps to recrimp everything :-)

February 05, 2016 02:34PM
Fpex
My 0.8.5 is properly wired now and config.g ok.
Thanks guys. I hate flying wires, but this is a temporary thing to see if my duet0.6 is broken

Anybody has designed a case for the 0.8.5 (with and without 4x board)?

Darathy
i'm still trying to design one, but atm making not much progress ,i think someone posted nearly finished version in an erlier post on this topic

that was me... uploaded to thingiverse

[www.thingiverse.com]

you will need to cut the holes in as i haven't got the board to measure out and put in place.
February 05, 2016 02:44PM
Can you share an editable design?

February 05, 2016 03:40PM
If you have auto desk 123d I can send you it in that file format. I can't get on with scad I will upload it on Sunday for you, away for weekend
February 05, 2016 04:53PM
You could take a look at my Duet 0.6 + optional DueX4 design on Thingiverse. It has extra space at the bottom for connectors. For the 0.8.5 board, you would need to add holes for access to the Erase and Reset buttons, and holes to access the bed heater terminals. It's editable if you know OpenScad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 04:54PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 05, 2016 05:06PM
I am an autocad guy ;-)

February 05, 2016 05:56PM
I had that... then one day it wouldnt open... just started to load then closed so uninstalled it...
February 05, 2016 05:58PM
i thought you use auto cad 123?

February 06, 2016 02:23AM
Nope 123d design
February 06, 2016 02:25AM
That is a simplified version of fusion (which i use) that is a simplified version of auto cad. The interface is similar.
Anyhow, I also use 123, so please send it over :-)

February 06, 2016 02:27AM
I like things simple. Lol

Will send over tomorrow
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login