Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod suddenly stops mid print

Posted by improprietary 
Re: Ormerod suddenly stops mid print
November 08, 2016 03:39PM
DC42, now I know about changing the jumper, I did that and removed the USB cable. Thanks.
I'm using the standard power supply that was supplied with the Ormerod 2.
I can confirm that the printer reset does not always appear at the same point in the print.

DMould, good point about surges. The resets have occured whilst nothing else was switched on, as far as I know- the only other thing in the house was the boiler. But I'll try plugging the printer straight into the wall and see if that helps.

Many thanks both!
November 08, 2016 06:01PM
dmould
There is also an issue if you switch anything that is on the same power plug. For example when I first used my Ormerod it was plugged into an extension lead - if I plugged a soldering iron into another socket on the same extension lead, the Duet would crash. So ensure that your Ormerod is the only device connected to the wall socket. Maybe try using an extension lead that has surge protection in case it is cause by something else in your home (e.g. fridge or washing machine cycling). e.g. [www.amazon.co.uk]

Dave

To expand on Dave's observation, this sort of problem is most common if you connect the printer electronics to a PC via USB and you power the printer and PC from different wall sockets. This creates a ground loop, and transients on the ground wire generated by other equipment may flow through it.

If you must use a USB cable to the PC, my advice is:

1. Power the printer and the PC and nothing else from the same power distribution block (preferably a surge-protected one).

2. Make sure there is a ferrite bead on the USB cable.

The same applies if you use a USB power supply to provide the 5V supply.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 04, 2017 06:18PM
Ahh, same problem!
Quick recap of problem and environment:
Problem:
Printer stops mid print, and seems to reset itself- it loses the position, temperature settings, and forgets that it is doing a print.
Environment:
Printer powered from surge-prevention 4-gang extension, plugged into wall. Nothing else plugged into that socket.
Printer communication by network cable to router to web interface
USB cable is not plugged in to printer or PC
Router connected to another socket.
Nothing else drawing power in the whole house apart from lights
Ormerod 2 528.2
Firmware 1.17a
Web interface 1.14-RC1

Please, can anyone help?

M122 diagnostics:
=== Diagnostics ===
Used output buffers: 1 of 32 (8 max)
=== Platform ===
Memory usage:
Program static ram used: 45804
Dynamic ram used: 41388
Recycled dynamic ram: 2920
Current stack ram used: 2840
Maximum stack ram used: 4884
Never used ram: 3308
Last reset 00:00:14 ago, cause: software
Last software reset code: 0x6032, available RAM 1640 bytes (slot 0)
Spinning module during software reset: Webserver
Error status: 0
Max PWM loop count 0
Free file entries: 10
SD card 0 detected, interface speed: 21.0MBytes/sec
SD card longest block write time: 0.0ms
MCU temperature: min 74.7, current 77.2, max 79.9
Current date and time: 1970-01-01 00:00:00
Slowest main loop (seconds): 0.002999; fastest: 0.000100
=== Move ===
MaxReps: 0, StepErrors: 0, MaxWait: 0ms, Underruns: 0, 0
Bed probe heights: 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000
=== Heat ===
Bed heater = 0, chamber heater = -1
Heater 1 is on, I-accum = 0.0
=== GCodes ===
Segments left: 0
Stack records: 1 allocated, 0 in use
Movement lock held by null
http is ready with "M122"
telnet is idle
file is idle
serial is idle
aux is idle
daemon is idle
=== Network ===
Free connections: 15 of 16
Free transactions: 23 of 24
=== Webserver ===
HTTP sessions: 1 of 8
FTP connections: 0, state 0
Telnet connections: 0, state 0
January 05, 2017 03:37AM
Can you confirm that this is a long-standing problem, not related to upgrading to the latest firmware?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 05, 2017 04:01AM
Yes, I can confirm this is a longer-standing problem. Previously the last reset code was 'watchdog', not it is 'software'.
Thanks.
January 05, 2017 07:26AM
My suggestion for the next step would be to check and/or re-make all the 12V connections. Incoming 12VDC supply (both ends), hotend and bed heater. Random crashes such as you are experiencing are usually caused by power transients in one of the high-current lines feeding into a logic signal, which can be caused by current flow through a part of the circuit that should not be taking the current. This can be caused by both bad connections and shorts (e.g. between power ground and digital ground, which cannot be tested in situ with a meter because they are electrically connected anyway). Check especially that there is no possibility of intermittent shorts between the bed heater and the printer body.

If that does not solve the issue, try temporarily powering the printer from a 12V car battery, which will establish whether or not the issue is power related.

Dave
January 05, 2017 10:58AM
The software reset code 0x6032 is a bit field and has the following meaning:

0x4000 The USB output system was not accepting data at the time. Not surprising if you didn't have the USB cable connected.

0x2000 Firmware was in the LWIP library at the time.

0x0030 Hard fault. According to the datasheet:

A hard fault is an exception that occurs because of an error during exception processing, or because an exception cannot be managed by any other exception mechanism. Hard faults have a fixed priority of -1, meaning they have higher priority than any exception with configurable priority.

Hard faults used to cause a watchdog timeout, but in 1.17 I added a separate hard fault exception handler to give a better idea of what is going on.

0x0002 The webserver module was running when the hard fault occurred.

If your environment is electrically clean, then my best guess is that your board has a hardware fault. If you always get the 0x2000 bit set in the software reset code, it's probably related to the network system. If it were my board, I would probably replace the phy chip. I guess it's also possible that something in your network is triggering a firmware bug, but if that were the case I would expect some other users to report the same problem.

January 06, 2017 06:24AM
Thanks for the suggestions, both.
I tried remaking all the 12v connections. And moving to an entirely different network. But the board would still reset every couple of minutes, often even when trying to only auto-level the bed. Unusable!
Each time now, M122 says

Last software reset code: 0x6032, available RAM 1640 bytes (slot 0)
Spinning module during software reset: Webserver

So thinking the webserver may be the problem, I closed the Duet tab on Firefox after starting a print. Lo and behold, I was able to do a 40 minute print without crashing!
I only had time to print one item so my statistics are low, so I'll try printing without the Duet tab again later. But perhaps something to do with the webserver really was the fault. Could this be possible?
I'll try another print this evening and update.
Thanks!
January 06, 2017 05:02PM
That supports my hypothesis that you have a hardware issue with the network interface. Reflowing or replacing the phy chip will quite likely fix it. Do you know anyone with hot air soldering equipment? If not, which country are you in?

January 15, 2017 04:57PM
I'm in Oxford, UK.
I know somebody with a hot air soldering kit, but I'd be worried about asking as it looks tricky soldering. Which is the psy chip?
Since realising the errors seem to stem from the web interface, I'm been setting up prints but then closing the Duet web tab in Firefox until the print is finished. Touch wood, I haven't had a reset since this change in protocol! Thanks.
January 16, 2017 02:42PM
The phy chip is the small square leadless chip not far from the main processor, Ethernet connector and Z probe connector.

February 18, 2017 10:52PM
Hello all,

I am having the same issue with jobs just stopping. I tried disconnecting from the network and was able to print a 2 hour job. Running Duet 085, nothing plugged into USB, on a CoreXY machine. Simplify3D as the slicer and strictly use the web interface for uploading. I just upgraded from DC42's 1.09 to 1.17e. Never had this happen before. I upgraded the firmware to use mesh bed leveling (which works flawlessly- big thanks David!). I turned on debug but I don't have a way to check it since when it stops it also disconnects from the network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carl
February 19, 2017 04:29AM
If a job stops unexpectedly, connect via USB and send M122. Look at the last reset information, specifically how long ago it was. If it was when the job stopped, then the board reset mid-print. Post all the reset data from M122 here.

I am currently supporting one other customer having what may be a related problem. He has reported that the CPU temperature indication is fairly stable when the machine is at rest, but shows unviable min and max values when the machine is printing. So please can you try running M122 during a print to see what the reported min and max CPU temperature values are. Note, the min and max values are reset when you run M122. See [duet3d.com] for how to calibrate the temperature.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2017 04:34AM by dc42.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login