Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dead Duet?

Posted by NeilFrazerLX 
Dead Duet?
February 04, 2016 04:49PM
So I powered up my Ormerod 2 today and nothing. No network connection..

I can see the board in the Arduino IDE and I can upload firmware but i get no response to serial commands over USB and the network won't connect. No activity on the ethernet connector led's.

I have created a new SD card as I thought this might be the issue but nope.

I have checked the board with everything disconnected except the external regulator to no avail.

Config.g attached but it hasn't changed since the last time I used it so should be fine.

I really don't want the shell out £99 for a new Duet....

Any thoughts before I pull the board out and go hunting for bad solder joints on the SD card...
Attachments:
open | download - config.g (3.1 KB)
Re: Dead Duet?
February 04, 2016 06:32PM
Check that the main processor is not excruciatingly hot. If it's normal temps (40C or so), check your USB connection. If it's in the 60+ range there's something wrong.

Is a shorted SD card a repairable problem? I'm fairly certain this is the cause of my 0.6 failure and I'd love to know how to fix it.
February 04, 2016 11:25PM
Which firmware do you use? Have you access via Pronterface? Pronterface offers an access to a log which helps a lot finding your problem.
After two broken Duets please touch the main processor carefully. If you can touch it and it is feeling some sort of warm the Duet may be okay, but if the sensor is getting that hot that you could touch it only less than 20 seconds the board is broken. You may use a board from Replikeo which is much cheaper. Actually it was something about 65$ without shipping.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
February 05, 2016 01:23AM
No connection with pronterface and nothing is getting hot. Like I said I can upload firmware so I think that it is just not initialising.
I am running DC42's firmware but as I said it was running fine so I don't think it is a firmware issue.

I've heard bad things about the quality of Replikeo boards so I would prefer to go with T3DP3D personally and having read that there is a new duet out soon it might be worth waiting. Or I could Beta test, Hint, Hint DC42.
February 05, 2016 03:37AM
T3DP3D only offers a newer version of the Duet. Beside that I asked for th FW-version. There had been some troubles in the past. How do you power your Duet? There are also issues if you use USB and 12V DC at the same time.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
February 05, 2016 06:14AM
Thank you. I'm fully aware that T3DP3D only stock the v0.8.5 board and I would have no problem upgrading to that board. I was referring to the new Duet that is being developed by DC42 and T3DP3D.

I was running DC42 1.09m firmware and I have just flashed 1.09r. I know there were issues with a previous release. It's not the firmware! it was running fine before.

I have powered the duet both with the supplied power supply and from USB.
February 05, 2016 07:22AM
If you can flash the firmware then the CPU and USB must be working in principle. There are several different things that would result in the new firmware failing to run. First double-check that you are in fact using valid firmware. When you download from the github, you must use the "raw" button. What application are you using to send the firmware to the Duet? After flashing the new firmware, does that utility indicate that it has verified OK? After the new firmware has loaded, does your USB port connect as a different device? It should do so. This usually results in the virtual COM port number changing, so if you are using Pronterface to connect to the Duet, be aware that it will probably not use the same COM port number as you used to upload the firmware. Check also that the reset and erase buttons are not stuck in the "on" position (best to use a meter to check).

Your Ethernet port is a different issue. The LEDs on the Ethernet connector are driven directly from the Ethernet PHY chip and so should work even if the CPU is not running. Make certain that the cable you are connecting is properly connected to a hub by unplugging it from the Duet and plugging into a laptop or PC. If the laptop/PC gets a connection but the Ethernet LEDs on the Duet remain dark, then it is likely that there is either a power fault or an Ethernet fault on the Duet board. Visually inspect the solder connections on the Ethernet socket on the Duet - there have been cases where some pins were left unsoldered by the factory.

Always run the Duet from an external supply, and check the 5V on the Duet with a meter to ensure that voltage is correct. Powering the Duet only from the USB will often cause problems because the USB voltage is likely to be too low to run the Duet reliably.

Dave
February 05, 2016 07:42AM
There might be few 0.6 back in stock, you better ask T3Dp3D

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
February 05, 2016 08:10AM
Ok so I have the board on the workbench now so I can see whats going on.

I can connect to the board with the Arduino IDE and it is accepting commands in serial console. However it isn't reading the SD card and there is no network activity indicated.

I have tried a different SD card and the board is powered from an external supply via the 5V_PS header. Measured as 4.9v with the internal Regulator at the Expansion header. (On a 18 Year old Fluke 75 III meter).

Cat5 cable is fine.

I'm seeing 3.3v at the SD card (measured between C58 and R73) and the ethernet chip (Measured between C58 and L2).

Would I see activity on the Ethernet if the board isn't seeing the SD card?

I'm thinking a bad solder joint on the SD card connector maybe?

Ok. Update as I'm writing this. I can now see the SD card must be a loose connection somewhere or dirty contacts as I didn't do anything concrete to get it back. I can connect with the arduino IDE and send Gcode commands and I get the appropriate response. I cannot connect with simplify3D or Pronterface which is weird. I have closed arduino die so the port should be available to the system. I am still not seeing Network activity. It is not the cable or the connection to my hub as I have proved this with another device.

I'm going to get the soldering iron out and re-flow some joints.
February 05, 2016 08:11AM
I would reflow the entire board if you have an oven or can get to one

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
February 05, 2016 09:28AM
Ok problem solved, Dry joint on the Cat5 connector.

Still doesn't explain why I can't connect with pronterface or Simplify3D but its working.
I'm going to assume there is a dry joint somewhere on the SD card as well as It couldn't have been something I was doing wrong when it wasn't reading the card.....

Thanks all.

P.S. I'd still be happy to Beta test the New Duet Dave Crocker..... winking smiley
February 09, 2016 06:51AM
You probably got one of the first batch. Quite a few boards had pins that had not been soldered. Reflowing won't help because it was the hand-soldered components that had not been soldered at all, so there is nothing to reflow.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login