Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are thin walls causing the movement on the top end of this print?

Posted by tig124 
Are thin walls causing the movement on the top end of this print?
February 14, 2016 06:04PM
simple really?! I think the walls are too thin (Set to 1mm) printing with wood filament, But would like someone else opinion. Twice I set this to print, and both time once we get to the top floor windows it looks like there is movement, however the roof then is fine!

I am going to try the same print but with a wall thickness of 2mm (previous building design had a wall thickness of 2.5mm)

[techyman3d.blogspot.co.uk]

Thanks
Re: Are thin walls causing the movement on the top end of this print?
February 15, 2016 08:13AM
Try increasing the wall thickness slightly, or decreasing the nozzle diameter in your slicing software slightly. If you can get a preview of the G-code paths you should see a sudden change in the paths used for the thin walls as you increase their width or decrease the nozzle diameter. To print 1mm walls using S3D, I need to set the nozzle diameter to 0.49mm (instead of the actual 0.5mm) or set the wall thickness to a bit more than 1mm otherwise it uses only 1 extrusion for the walls instead of 2. Instead of changing the nozzle diameter you could probably change the perimeter extrusion width if your slicing software allows it.

Dave
Re: Are thin walls causing the movement on the top end of this print?
February 21, 2016 09:26AM
dmould
Try increasing the wall thickness slightly, or decreasing the nozzle diameter in your slicing software slightly. If you can get a preview of the G-code paths you should see a sudden change in the paths used for the thin walls as you increase their width or decrease the nozzle diameter. To print 1mm walls using S3D, I need to set the nozzle diameter to 0.49mm (instead of the actual 0.5mm) or set the wall thickness to a bit more than 1mm otherwise it uses only 1 extrusion for the walls instead of 2. Instead of changing the nozzle diameter you could probably change the perimeter extrusion width if your slicing software allows it.

Dave
Thanks Dmould for the suggestions! Looks like I got a better print this time
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login