Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New RepRapFirmware 1.09x-dc42

Posted by dc42 
New RepRapFirmware 1.09x-dc42
March 13, 2016 09:31AM
I have released version 1.09x of my firmware fork at [github.com].

In brief:

* Merged in chrishamm's improvements to the network stack, the print monitor, and firmware update over the web. A big thank you to chrishamm for all of this.

* New build system, still using Eclipse but without the Arduino plugin, much easier for other would-be firmware builders to replicate

* Implemented M143 (set temperature limit)

* Bug fixes to cold extrusion prevention

See [forums.reprap.org] for full details of the changes. The recommended web interface is DWC 1.10 or the forthcoming 1.11 (thanks to chrishamm for providing a preview).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2016 01:48PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: New RepRapFirmware 1.09x-dc42
March 13, 2016 09:45AM
What does the M143 does actually? It hard limits the temperature for avoiding run away issues?

Thanks guys for yet another firmware!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2016 09:49AM by Fpex.

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
March 13, 2016 10:43AM
Thank you for the update.
I have tried to upload it to my ormerod using the Web interface and I get this error:-

Can't rename file or directory /sys/RepRapFirmware-1.09x-dc42.bin to /sys/RepRapFirmware.bin

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
March 13, 2016 12:20PM
As a computer novice I am looking for a step by step description of how to change from the RepRapPro firmware to the DC42 firmware. If anyone can point me to such a source I would be most grateful.
March 13, 2016 12:42PM
SO far it was this

[reprappro.com]

March 13, 2016 12:59PM
Hi

I have been following the new build instructions for Duet Firmware following the instructions embedded in the firmware zip
The issues i have been having are as follows
I installed eclipse without issue
I started eclipse and created workspace C:/Eclipse/Firmware
I closed eclipse
I downloaded and unzipped RepRapFirmware-dev and placed into C:/Eclipse/Firmware then renamed to RepRapFirmware
I downloaded and uinzipped CoreDuet-dev and unzipped into C:/Eclipse/Firmware then renamed to CoreDuet
I started eclipse
this is where the issues start
I did not see either project in the project tree.....did I miss something

I did try to use (file/new/MakeFile Project With Existing Code)....this made the project visible in the project tree

I then received 2 errors
Program "g++" not found in PATH CoreDuet [Discovery Options] page in project properties C/C++ Problem
Program "gcc" not found in PATH CoreDuet [Discovery Options] page in project properties C/C++ Problem

I assumed that perhaps there was an issue with the gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014qi\bin file so I tried to check it in the C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Cross Settings.
When i got to the gui for that setting there is nothing that i am able to change maybe im missing something......i would appreciate any help
March 13, 2016 01:18PM
Thank you Fpex. Does this apply to all the firmware rather than just that produced by RRP? If so should I be using an older version of the Arduino IDE or will the one I used to update last year do?
March 13, 2016 02:39PM
I think the procedure has changed from arduino to eclipse now.

March 13, 2016 07:56PM
percar
Hi

I have been following the new build instructions for Duet Firmware following the instructions embedded in the firmware zip
The issues i have been having are as follows
I installed eclipse without issue
I started eclipse and created workspace C:/Eclipse/Firmware
I closed eclipse
I downloaded and unzipped RepRapFirmware-dev and placed into C:/Eclipse/Firmware then renamed to RepRapFirmware
I downloaded and uinzipped CoreDuet-dev and unzipped into C:/Eclipse/Firmware then renamed to CoreDuet
I started eclipse
this is where the issues start
I did not see either project in the project tree.....did I miss something

No, someone else has also reported that he needed to import the projects to make them visible in Eclipse.

percar
I did try to use (file/new/MakeFile Project With Existing Code)....this made the project visible in the project tree

I then received 2 errors
Program "g++" not found in PATH CoreDuet [Discovery Options] page in project properties C/C++ Problem
Program "gcc" not found in PATH CoreDuet [Discovery Options] page in project properties C/C++ Problem

I assumed that perhaps there was an issue with the gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014qi\bin file so I tried to check it in the C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Cross Settings.
When i got to the gui for that setting there is nothing that i am able to change maybe im missing something......i would appreciate any help

Strange, when I right-click on one of the projects and select C/C++ Build -:> Settings -> Cross Settings there are two fields I can change:

Prefix (set to arm-none-eabi)
Path (I have this set to C:\Arduino-1.5.8\hardware\tools\gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1\bin)

Maybe a makefile project doesn't have these settings. What I think you may need to do is instead of creating a makefile project from existing sources, use File -> Import -> General -> Existing projects into workspace. I'll ask the other guy what his solution was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2016 08:03PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 14, 2016 04:47AM
Great work, dc42 and Christian. I'm glad someone has taken over development of the Duet and firmware. And firmware update over the web is especially cool!

Ian
March 14, 2016 11:12AM
I admit I do not use Eclips (I am not fond of it), To install the firmware what do i need? the C version?

March 14, 2016 12:10PM
Fpex
I admit I do not use Eclips (I am not fond of it), To install the firmware what do i need? the C version?

Just download the RepRapFirmware.bin file as you always have done.

March 14, 2016 01:54PM
Did you have any thoughts on this error?

Can't rename file or directory /sys/RepRapFirmware-1.09x-dc42.bin to /sys/RepRapFirmware.bin

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
March 14, 2016 02:06PM
I have also had a go at building from the two new projects and also get stuck with " not found in PATH " errors for gcc g++.

This is with eclipse and arduino1.5.8. I could edit the Cross Compiler path to the actual arduino bin folder but doesn't seem to help.

The Path under Environment variables also looks good.
March 14, 2016 04:44PM
The move to eclipse, does it means you are moving out of the arduino way of doing things ?

March 14, 2016 06:14PM
bobtidey
I have also had a go at building from the two new projects and also get stuck with " not found in PATH " errors for gcc g++.

This is with eclipse and arduino1.5.8. I could edit the Cross Compiler path to the actual arduino bin folder but doesn't seem to help.

You need to have the cross compiler path set to the \hardware\tools\gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1\bin folder, and the cross compiler prefix set to arm-none-eabi-. Both are in the Cross Settings.

March 14, 2016 06:23PM
Fpex
The move to eclipse, does it means you are moving out of the arduino way of doing things ?[/quote

RepRapFirmware was built with Eclipse, not Arduino, before I got involved with it. The Arduino IDE is very primitive and totally inadequate for handling large projects such as RepRapFirmware. The move I have made is to stop using a heavily-patched and extended Arduino Due core, and use a separate project (CoreDuet) derived from it instead. At the same time, the build system no longer uses the Arduino plugin for Eclipse, which caused a number of problems, and instead builds RepRapFirmware as a Cross Gcc project.

March 15, 2016 02:25AM
This is definitively a good choice. I do not like Eclipse as IDE, but on the other hand I also use non traditional eclipse languages (ruby and erlang).

March 15, 2016 03:05AM
appjaws1
Did you have any thoughts on this error?

I'll fix that in my next DWC release, this can happen if both files are present on your printer. Either delete that RepRapFirmware.bin file via FTP or update to it once by sending M997.
March 15, 2016 07:15AM
dc42
bobtidey

You need to have the cross compiler path set to the \hardware\tools\gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1\bin folder, and the cross compiler prefix set to arm-none-eabi-. Both are in the Cross Settings.

Yes. I had done both those settings but still got the error. It's like it's ignoring that Path or getting it from elsewhere. I am using Mars eclipse, maybe that is affecting something. Juno, I think needs a pretty ancient Java as well.
March 15, 2016 11:53AM
Try adding the path to that bin directory in your PATH environment variable. Then exit and reload Eclipse so that it takes effect. I read somewhere that gcc needs to be on the path so that it can find its other files.

I am told that Juno does work with Java 8. That said, now that the Arduino plugin is on longer required, it should be possible to use later versions of Eclipse - but I haven't found time to try that yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2016 11:55AM by dc42.

March 16, 2016 10:30AM
Adding to the user and system path had no effect unfortunately. Eclipse is stubbornly ignoring path and prefix for some reason.

I do have both eclipse and the workspace on a different drive to windows. That shouldn't affect things but maybe I'll try moving them onto C:
March 16, 2016 07:11PM
What is the exact error message you are getting - what file is it exactly that it says isn't found in the path?

March 17, 2016 06:59AM
I get the following errors. Attached is Cross Setting

If I try to execute arm-none-eabi-gcc from a command line then it does find it via the System path
Attachments:
open | download - errors.png (18.7 KB)
open | download - cross.png (5.8 KB)
March 17, 2016 07:56AM
If you switch to the Console tab, what command and what error message do you see there?

March 17, 2016 09:44AM
I reloaded everything from scratch, eclipse (mars.2), started fresh from github, had path set up from windows environment.

It sprang into life and built everything Ok.

No idea what was really different this time around, but thanks for your help and the effort you put into this firmware. Much appreciated.
April 11, 2016 09:58AM
changed the cross settings on both project. core duet is compiling fine, but ReprapFirmware still gives a "make not found"...
restarted eclipse a few times, too.
any idea what could be wrong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2016 09:59AM by lordgort.
Attachments:
open | download - eclipse problem.PNG (194.8 KB)
April 11, 2016 05:02PM
You need to have a copy of make.exe on your Windows PATH. I presume you have ended up with different path settings for the two projects somehow.

Btw I have now released version 1.11 of my fork, which uses CoreNG instead of CoreDuet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2016 05:04PM by dc42.

April 12, 2016 07:40AM
thx, got it.
but now there are some compiling errors XD

sorry to bother you, im not good with this... still learning

........................................................edit

nevermind, got it :-)

but whats the difference between sam3x and sam4e?

i suppose the duet 0.8.5 is sam3x?

did you add the possibility to change xyz motor-pins? i remember you worte something like this before. ^^

i wanna use some extern motor drivers with the pins wich are supposed for the duex

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 10:30AM by lordgort.
Attachments:
open | download - eclipse problem.PNG (255.7 KB)
April 13, 2016 02:05AM
Yes the existing Duets have SAM3X processors.

To remap the motors, use the M569 command.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login