Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dual Extrusion with Different Materials

Posted by derek5a 
Dual Extrusion with Different Materials
March 29, 2016 06:56AM
Having done a variety of searches online and on the forum and finding very little, I'm hoping to get some information relating to adjusting extruder temperatures for varied materials mid print.

I am at the moment trying to get a decent calibration between two extruders currently using the same material. However, the time it takes to complete a print is obscene.

Using slic3r to complete the initial GCode the model is small and makes up a combination of colours. I'm only using PLA at the moment. In the time one extruder has done a layer the other extruder has cooled to a massive extent (from 210 to 150) which then takes a long time to heat up again before printing the next layer. This could be because of the heatsink properties in the E3D v6 all metal hot end being efficient.

My query is when trying to utilise the printer to print different materials. (I'm hoping to do a range of tests varying settings when using PLA AND ABS). The slic3r temp command only allows you to set one temperature!

2 things...

1/ Is there a way to set the temperatures separately in each extruder?
2/ Is there a way to reduce temperature heat times by keeping both hot ends to the correct temperature throughout the whole print? I'm aware of the reasoning behind the non print head being turned down due to oozing but i'd like to avoid the amount that the hot ends cool. Your talking (60deg for a very small print section to be completed).
Attachments:
open | download - Dual Print PLA example.jpg (73.6 KB)
open | download - Dual Print Setup.jpg (73.4 KB)
Re: Dual Extrusion with Different Materials
March 29, 2016 11:28AM
The E3Dv6 hot end uses a low powered heater, 25W AFAIR compared to 40W for the Ormerod hot end. I think this is a fail-safe system, to prevent it going much over 300C if the heater stays on. You could replace the heaters by 40W ones for faster heating times. They are standard 6mm cartridges.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 29, 2016 11:58AM
In the slic3r's printer settings > general > you should have number of extruder set to 2

I use the duet web interface, which is also set for 2 extruders.
Upon each one there is a standby and an active temp setting.
I would set both these to same temp I.e. 190 PLA as this would stop the cool down between each layer
The code below is taken from my config file which sets the printer up with 2 extruders
M563 P0 D0 H1                       ; Define tool 0 
G10 P0 S-273 R-273                  ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures
M563 P1 D1 H2                       ; Define tool 1, uncomment if you have a dual colour upgrade 
G10 P1 X19 S-273 R-273              ; Set tool 1 operating and standby temperatures, uncomment if you have a dual colour upgrade

Where is states X19 that's the offset from the other nozzle upon the x axis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2016 12:00PM by orictosh.

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
March 31, 2016 05:59AM
orictosh
In the slic3r's printer settings > general > you should have number of extruder set to 2

I would set both these to same temp I.e. 190 PLA as this would stop the cool down between each layer
The code below is taken from my config file which sets the printer up with 2 extruders
G10 P0 S-273 R-273                  ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures
M563 P1 D1 H2                       ; Define tool 1, uncomment if you have a dual colour upgrade 
G10 P1 X19 S-273 R-273              ; Set tool 1 operating and standby temperatures, uncomment if you have a dual colour upgrade

Thanks orictosh,

Are you saying that when using the web interface you are able to set a standby temperature?

I'm currently using Pronterface/Slic3r.
March 31, 2016 06:01AM
dc42
The E3Dv6 hot end uses a low powered heater, 25W AFAIR compared to 40W for the Ormerod hot end. I think this is a fail-safe system, to prevent it going much over 300C if the heater stays on. You could replace the heaters by 40W ones for faster heating times. They are standard 6mm cartridges.

That is interesting dc42. DO you know what the power value is on the standard extruder?

I was thinking more in terms of software tweaks where there is an allowance for both extruder to be held at a differing preset value.
March 31, 2016 06:53AM

To have a different standby value per tool/extruder you have to change the R-value in this line of your configuration to the desired standby temperature
March 31, 2016 03:14PM
I belive the Original Ormerod had a 50W heater ,i have changed my E3D v6 for 40W and still does not heat as fast as the Original Ormerod 2 nozzle.
March 31, 2016 04:23PM
You can use the S parameter in the M301 command to account for variations in heater power. The default is 1.0. For example, M301 H1 S1.2 will attempt to increase the power of heater 1 by 20% - but of course it still can't apply more than 12V, or whatever your PSU voltage is.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 01, 2016 03:42AM
Darathy
I belive the Original Ormerod had a 50W heater

Confirmed. I looked for spare and therefore for the technical data at a time where RepRapPro still existed.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
April 01, 2016 08:10AM
derek5a
orictosh

Thanks orictosh,

Are you saying that when using the web interface you are able to set a standby temperature?

I'm currently using Pronterface/Slic3r.

Yes that's correct. You can set a standby temperature with the web interface.
I also use slic3r to produce the g-code then upload the file to the printer via the web interface;
Once it's uploaded I'm able to remove the laptop that sliced the model.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 08:12AM by orictosh.

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
April 05, 2016 08:07AM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I have yet to try any of them since i'm currently doing some single extruder testing.

Although tips have been given to combat the cooling down of unused extruder I'm still looking for an idea as to how I can have the extruders set to print at different temperatures?

Just to reiterate. The plan is to extrude PLA in extruder 1 and ABS in extruder 2.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2016 09:58AM by derek5a.
April 05, 2016 10:47AM
in Slicer you can set the temperature for each material. you asign the material to one of your tools (i.e. extruder) so they have different temperatures
April 06, 2016 06:18AM
Hi DasBasti. I have been using Slic3r for a while and can't see any place in the extruder setting that allow you to set individual temperatures.

Can you possibly direct me to how you achieve this?
April 06, 2016 09:03AM
on the right side of the plater tab you can select different filament types for the different extruders. there you can have different temperatures.
Attachments:
open | download - printer.JPG (17.8 KB)
April 06, 2016 09:31AM
Ahhhhhh.... OK so I guess the first filament selection relates to the first extruder and the second relates to the second?

Noticed that was variable but didn't relaise they selected the filament for each extruder! Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login