Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replikeo Ormerod build video

Posted by Magoo 
Replikeo Ormerod build video
April 19, 2016 05:55AM
Hi fellow Ormeroders. My friend and I have bought a Replikeo Ormerod kit and are currently building it on video for a YouTube instructional series. I have an early genuine Ormerod 2 (no longer available).
So far so good. We have the frame built and the Duet installed on the power supply. The bearings make a racket though and a few of the printed parts have cracked (also the smooth rod goes right through the acrylic on the y axis - electrical tape fixed that). I will lubricate the bearings and z thread before use but have reservations. Anyway, wish me luck. Will post the link to the vids once I learn how to operate the open source editing software I have found.
Cheers, Magoo
Re: Replikeo Ormerod build video
April 22, 2016 06:00PM
Sounds swell. Remember to post links to the videos to this thread so we know when they'll be available.
May 20, 2016 11:52PM
Unfortunately we just hit a problem with commissioning. The x-axis moves but regularly sticks/stalls and makes a terrible grinding/shuddering noise.
I tried plugging it into the y-axis pins on the duet and it operated perfectly (+ and - movements were reversed). I was hoping it was just a fault with the cable (I had that problem with my RepRapPro Ormerod 2) but have eliminated that as the problem and the issue seems to be with the duet.
There is no obvious problem with the x-axis pins on the duet or the soldering on the back of the pins. Has anyone got any suggestions or workarounds?
I have emailed replikeo for a replacement so hopefully they will respond quickly.
Everything else is working perfectly and the quality is surprisingly good for the price.
Cheers, Magoo

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2016 12:27AM by Magoo.
May 21, 2016 03:09AM
Take a look at the soldering of the pins of the stepper driver chip, on the side facing the connector.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 21, 2016 03:46AM
Magoo
I have emailed replikeo for a replacement so hopefully they will respond quickly.

Good luck. They ignored all my emails about a replacement. They know their Duets are terrible sad smiley
May 21, 2016 06:43PM
dc42
Take a look at the soldering of the pins of the stepper driver chip, on the side facing the connector.

Are the stepper driver chips the 4 in a row running parallel to where the stepper motors plug in? If so, and assuming the x-axis chip is the third one from the bottom, I can barely see the tiny pins so I don't know how I could hope to fix it if there was a poor connection evident . I have no skills in PCB electronics.

0x0000
Good luck. They ignored all my emails about a replacement. They know their Duets are terrible sad smiley

I hope you are wrong but I am prepared for disappointment and having to buy another. eMaker still has some 0.6 duets on their shop or maybe I will get the 0.8.5 from TP3D.

Who knows what heroes and villains will be identified in our youtube series. The story is still unfolding. (haha maybe a tad dramatic)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2016 07:45AM by Magoo.
May 23, 2016 12:41PM
It was a little bit tricky, but they replaced my broken Duet board some time ago.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
May 24, 2016 11:58AM
My replikeo had that same problem and I found that one of the cables had 1 wire pin in the wrong slot so take a close look at the wire harnesses.
May 26, 2016 06:48AM
Just a quick update. This weekend we will increase the current to the x axis stepper motor to 1000 milliamps in a hope that will solve the problem. The Y axis operated it fine at that current so we will eliminate that as an option. Replikeo has said they will send us a new duet regardless, so all going well we will have the machine printing soon.
June 06, 2016 05:06AM
Hi all. Apparently there is a new Duet on the way express mail from Replikeo. In the meanwhile we have solved the intermittent jamming problem with the x-axis. It turns out that the slightly different x axis belt pulley (to the reprappro original) supplied was fitted too tight in the printed/acrylic hole. After taking a file to it, all is working fine. We have printed a snowman directly on the fibreglass and it was ok but curled up a bit. We will replace the fibreglass with glass and print the orthagonal axis compensation pieces next. A few issues with the extruder motor have caused delays - again fixed with a little filing.
Cheers
June 06, 2016 01:17PM
A little tip for PLA sticking to glass , Use suggar water(put lots of sugar in Hot Water(it will make it last longer) and mix it till all sugar disolves in it making it a syrup) ,heat up the bed and take a paper towel or tissue and dip it in and spread it on the glass ,it will make the PLA stick to it really good(i dought you are able to take it off while the bed iss hot).
June 15, 2016 08:27AM
Last weekend we printed the axis calibration pieces. A little minor underextrusion was evident but it also alerted me to the fact that we skipped the extruder calibration step. Otherwise, the prints were excellent. We bought a piece of glass for $10 AU and covered it in kapton tape for the print. Essentially the build is finished other than tidying things up and fixing a little y axis belt rubbing and the finished product is excellent for the price. The duet turned out to be faultless and Gilles from replikeo said we can keep the spare Duet they sent express mail. Hopefully we will have the first video up soonish.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2016 08:34AM by Magoo.
July 25, 2016 06:36AM
Our build videos are being edited and the printer is working well. However, if you are/were considering buying an Ormerod 2 from Replikeo you may already be too late.
Cheers Magoo
July 29, 2016 09:47AM
[youtu.be]

That's the address for video 1 - the unpacking. Hope you enjoy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login