Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to use MatterControl or Cura?

Posted by Treito 
How to use MatterControl or Cura?
June 10, 2016 02:13AM
Hello,

how can I use MatterControl or Cura (2.1.2) with my printers? These slicers use absolute Extruder values instead of relative. If i cancel a print or the print is finished The Extruder unloads the filament (more or less) or to be exactly it retracts the filament for the length of the extruded filament before +5. So how can I change this behaviour? It should stay compatible with relative Extruding used in Simplify3D.

The reason is that I get blobs with Simplify3D and Cura slices in a way where the blobs are not visible anymore. Side effect: The edges are a little bit more round but the result looks much better.

Best regards,

Sven

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Re: How to use MatterControl or Cura?
June 10, 2016 04:10AM
Treito
..how can I use MatterControl or Cura (2.1.2) with my printers? These slicers use absolute Extruder values instead of relative.

Lots of info in this old string, do not know if still valid for the new versions, but for me, Franks plugin worked just fine

Cura extrusion rate too high:
[forums.reprap.org]

Erik
June 10, 2016 04:42AM
The plugin is not working with Cura 2.1.2 as you cannot choose any plugins.
I would also like to test MatterControl where the plugin doesn't work.
Even using the plugin with Cura 15.04.6 gives me trouble at the end or at cancelling so I would prefer a direct method for the Extruder settings.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
June 10, 2016 07:34AM
Treito
If i cancel a print or the print is finished The Extruder unloads the filament (more or less) or to be exactly it retracts the filament for the length of the extruded filament before +5. So how can I change this behaviour?

Change your slicer end gcode or stop.g and cancel.g files not to do that.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 10, 2016 02:22PM
The Duet firmware has been able to use absolute extrusion commands for a long time, so just put a command in the custom start g-code to switch the printer to absolute mode (M82). If it is unwinding all the filament at the end, either put the printer into relative mode in the custom end g-code (M83), or reset the extruder (G92 E0)

Dave
June 11, 2016 05:24AM
Hmm, resetting the Extruder sounds good as I tried the relative mode without success. The unloading even happens at the end with the plugin using Cura as there is a command to retract 5mm which does not work.
However unfortunately Cura 2.1.2 does not support custom-g-codes yet so I have to give MatterControl a shot.

June 11, 2016 06:58AM
Treito
However unfortunately Cura 2.1.2 does not support custom-g-codes yet so I have to give MatterControl a shot.

It looks to me that Cura 2.1.2 is very new and is only really designed to support Ultimaker machines. I suggest you try the previous version, 15.04.6.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

June 11, 2016 07:55AM
dc42
Treito

It looks to me that Cura 2.1.2 is very new and is only really designed to support Ultimaker machines. I suggest you try the previous version, 15.04.6.

Cura 2.1.2 supports also Reprap-machines but it is a little bit tricky. However I can choose an I3 as a replacement. The new version offers new options which I would like to try as the results could be as good as Simplify3D. With S3D I get blobs - much blobs. Cura is a little bit more intelligent to hide the blobs, but the edges will get a little bit round.
Cura 2.1.2 has some new options like "coast at end" for example.

June 11, 2016 05:58PM
Blobs are normally caused by insufficient retraction. Coast to end is a poor substitute for extruder pressure advance, which is supported in RRF.

June 11, 2016 06:27PM
i tried this extruder preasure advance ,but i didnt like the way my extruder started stuttering during the print ,also couse some issues where it would produce wobbly start of layer. but it was with the 1.09 or .1.10 dont remember in which u released it ,might have been fixed up to now.
June 12, 2016 02:26AM
dc42
Blobs are normally caused by insufficient retraction. Coast to end is a poor substitute for extruder pressure advance, which is supported in RRF.

I read about it, but how to setup?
I tried retraction up to 6mm with 40mm/s and 50mm/s. However I am using Chinese E3D-V6 clones.

Edit: For those who are interested it's the M572 command.
[reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 02:50AM by Treito.

July 01, 2016 05:09PM
I was also trying to check out MatterControl, but I found, that MatterControl opens up a few files that in my opinion should not be touched by this kind of software
Don't know, and I have not checked it further, but my first impression was "spyware"?

Why is this? Should I be concerned?

Here are some of the files that are open by MatterControl:
/System/Library/Frameworks/AddressBook.framework/Versions/A/AddressBook
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ContactsPersistence.framework/Versions/A/ContactsPersistence
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ContactsFoundation.framework/Versions/A/ContactsFoundation
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/vCard.framework/Versions/A/vCard
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IntlPreferences.framework/Versions/A/IntlPreferences
/System/Library/Frameworks/DirectoryService.framework/Versions/A/DirectoryService
/System/Library/Frameworks/SecurityInterface.framework/Versions/A/SecurityInterface
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PhoneNumbers.framework/Versions/A/PhoneNumbers
/System/Library/Frameworks/GameKit.framework/Versions/A/GameKit
/System/Library/Frameworks/ScriptingBridge.framework/Versions/A/ScriptingBridge
/System/Library/Frameworks/StoreKit.framework/Versions/A/StoreKit
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CommerceCore.framework/Versions/A/CommerceCore
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GameCenter.framework/Versions/A/GameCenter
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GameCenterFoundation.framework/Versions/A/GameCenterFoundation
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GameCenterUI.framework/Versions/A/GameCenterUI
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GameKitServices.framework/Versions/A/GameKitServices
/System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetoothUI.framework/Versions/A/IOBluetoothUI
July 05, 2016 07:47AM
Sergio
I was also trying to check out MatterControl, but I found, that MatterControl opens up a few files that in my opinion should not be touched by this kind of software

Good catch. Certainly looks extremely suspicious to me.

Dave
July 06, 2016 09:46AM
Hi dmould,

do you think it is worth to open a new topic in "General"?
July 07, 2016 07:02AM
Can't do any harm. Maybe someone will come up with an explanation as to why a slicing applications needs to look at your address book and other personal data.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login