Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replaced the cooling fan with a noctua one. I'm sane again!

Posted by improprietary 
Replaced the cooling fan with a noctua one. I'm sane again!
August 28, 2016 04:50AM
Hot diggety the power supply fan is louder than the noctua fan when installed grinning smiley

Sorry for posting this but i'm just so surprised at the noise difference!
Re: Replaced the cooling fan with a noctua one. I'm sane again!
August 28, 2016 05:10PM
Yes the fan is really annoying. I did a design a while back with a larger fan which was also much more sane. But since i switched to dual nozzles there was not enough space for a larger fan below the dc42 dual board i switch back to default :-(. The larger fan design also had one section for the heat sink and one compartment for the vent openings with a small lever to control the airflow. So probably a better fan is also a solution. I also have the suspicion that the default fan has an imbalance which harms print quality.
August 29, 2016 01:52AM
tstone
I also have the suspicion that the default fan has an imbalance which harms print quality.
Are you telling me that QA done diddly? eye popping smiley if you're willing to spend some dosh on an overkill fan go for the noctua NF-A4-10 FLX since its running on 12v aswell.

I'm curios about how your setup looks like, maybe a manifold could be designed to cool both heat breaks and the part being printed, a bit ala the squid arm manifold.
August 29, 2016 02:54AM
improprietary
I'm curios about how your setup looks like, maybe a manifold could be designed to cool both heat breaks and the part being printed, a bit ala the squid arm manifold.

Another alternative Hot-end cooling duct:
[forums.reprap.org]

Erik
August 29, 2016 02:58AM
Oh nice, you found the forum thread for the files.
I just ran the stock fan off of two 18650 batteries and i think that alot of the sound of that fan can be removed by placing a rubber band between the fan and the laser cut part. However it does sound like it oscillates when it comes up to speed.
September 08, 2016 07:40AM
I was just wondering how I could lower the noise of the fan.
What model should I aim for to replace the original one? What is the target flow to achieve?
September 08, 2016 01:09PM
I have replaced it with [si.farnell.com]

Its much quieter and provides anaugh cooling so i never get any problems. (sorry site is in slovenian but you can take the model and use on your country Farnell site.)
September 14, 2016 03:27PM
I finally ordered the noctua. It's super silent, like frighteningly silent, but it's a bliss. smiling smiley
Very happy about this. Thanks for the references.
December 30, 2016 07:55AM
On the suggestions here I've just installed a Noctua NF-A4x10. So easy to install, what an amazing difference it makes to the Ormerod 2. Thanks for suggesting.
December 06, 2018 07:07PM
Anybody else installed the Noctua lately?
How does SUNON compare to the Noctua?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login