Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer not waiting for temperature after Select tool

Posted by Radian 
Printer not waiting for temperature after Select tool
September 03, 2016 10:19AM
Hi all, I just finished re-commissioning my Ormerod1 and installed dc42's firmware V1_15. After installing the latest slic3r on a new PC I opted to use the RepRap config bundle to get Ormerod setttings seeing as how so much has changed since I last did this!

Printing is going fine except to begin with - everything waits for the bed to get up to temperature but then starts printing without waiting for the hot-end, which has only just been powered-up.

Generated Gcode starts like this...
M107
M190 S57 ; set bed temperature
M83;
G10 P0 S195 R160                       ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures
T0
...then begin the extrusion moves. According to the G-code wiki, T0 Sets the new tool to its operating temperatures specified by G10 and waits for all temperatures to stabilise. What am I missing?

RS Components Reprap Ormerod No. 481
Re: Printer not waiting for temperature after Select tool
September 03, 2016 04:01PM
You need a M116 command after the T0 command, to wait for the tool to reach the selected temperature.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 03, 2016 04:50PM
dc42
You need a M116 command after the T0 command, to wait for the tool to reach the selected temperature.

Ah thanks dc42, I missed the follow-up statements in the wiki [reprap.org]

wiki
Some implementations (e.g. RepRapFirmware) allow you to specify tool-change G Code macros...
...With such implementations there is no wait for temperature stabilisation

It must say it would have been helpful if the sequence described before this caveat had made some mention of it.

Do you know if there's a better slic3r config bundle for Ormerod1 kicking around? The one I got from the RepRap documentation pages [github.com] clearly needs some additional commands for use with more recent firmware.

September 07, 2016 09:30AM
I've just done the exact same thing (recommissioning) and also installed DC42's firmware. Awesome firmware! Also bumped into the same issue with the movement not waiting for the temperature.

I'm also looking for a more tweaked slic3r config bundle to go with DC42's firmware, the stock config bundle seems to have worked pretty well with the normal firmware but I'm experiencing quite a few differences now using DC42's firmware.
September 10, 2016 12:49PM
Hi rogervs, glad to hear you also dug out your Ormerod. I don't know about you but my printer tends to go through cycles of being super-useful for months on end then breaking just when I have no spare time to sort it out. Dust then gathers until I get a weekend free and find I have many months of catch-up to do. I feel I'm getting pretty good results using the one from the RepRap bundle with dc42's firmware - is there anything giving you particular concern?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login