Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X-motor is skipping

Posted by Treito 
X-motor is skipping
October 22, 2016 07:44AM
Hello,

both of my Ormerods are broken. My 2 urgently needs a new z-nut-trap as the nut is turning over. However my 1 is not able to print, because the x-motor skips and I do not know why. I measured the cable and it is fine. I will replace it, but I am out of hope. I also raised the motor current. The x-arm is moving freely. The fun part is that I still can print a 3DBenchy, but I guess this was a random success.
Any ideas? Duet failure? Motor dead?
It only starts at a height of 5-15mm and also only some layers.

Best regards,

Sven

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Re: X-motor is skipping
October 22, 2016 10:42AM

It should have been a box. Strange thing is that it only happened at the beginning.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.

October 22, 2016 05:11PM
Could the X motor driver chip be overheating? Also check for bad connections in the wiring. Or it could be a partial driver failure. Or maybe the wires to the hot end are snagging.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 23, 2016 04:57AM
I exchanged the cable of the motor. Surprisingly it seems that this was the only fault with that cable, so maybe there was an issue with the print (too much plastic?) so the hotend got stuck.
Still strange is that I could print the 3DBenchy without fault. Speed factor? A square can be printed faster in theory.

November 07, 2016 04:28PM
Funny that!
I had very similar problem today with the x drive faltering, juddering and stopping.
Increased motor current and things worked again for a while then faulted again.
The problem turned out to be the motor cable connector was loose on the duet.
Pushed it back in and job done.
Thanks Sven for your post or I might still be scratching my head!

Ormerod 113
December 14, 2016 04:20AM
I hade exakt same problem and the wird part was that it worked if my Raspberry pi was printing but not my pc or the SD card..
After more testet it turn down to be the Adjustment on the driver as needed little more. After that it works perfect.
December 14, 2016 04:27AM
What kind of adjustment?

I tried to adjust the motor currents without success. Surprisingly it seems to work at least, but I gave up for the moment, as both Ormerods are not working right now and I try a Delta printer until my CoreXY is ready to have time to fix the Ormerods (and the delta).

January 26, 2017 06:01PM
So yesterday i ran into a small problem with my X-axis the carriage would get stuck in one position and motor couldnt move it. I pushed it with my arm and got it unstuck but noticed that when i moved the carriage left and right there were some hard spots where it would have difictulty moving.
Today i disassembled the X-arm to replace the linear bearing( i thought it was the problem) but once i had the rod and bearing in had i could move it with no hard spots what so ever ,smooth all the way. So i thought it was something with the motor and i took it out it ran sooth aswell. Then i decided to put it back together and found this:

I must have overtightened the X axis and the bearing at the end made this since its is not 1/4" wide as the belt.
Just putting it here for future troubleshooting.
January 27, 2017 10:26PM
I have a similar problem running GT2 pulleys/belts on my X-axis. The hole that the pulley fits through has barely enough clearance to fit the GT2, and if not carefully fit it will rub against the lasercut part. I recently swapped mine for an aluminium version which made the problem worse. Liberal amounts of lubricant has solved it for now, but I'll probably need to file it out a bit to get it to fit.
January 28, 2017 03:28AM
You are talking from the y-axis. The x-axis has no acrylic parts with a hole where the belt is running through. The x-axis moves the head.
However my OM2 uses a GT2 belt without any problems (16T pulley).

January 28, 2017 04:09AM
Treito
You are talking from the y-axis. The x-axis has no acrylic parts with a hole where the belt is running through. The x-axis moves the head.
However my OM2 uses a GT2 belt without any problems (16T pulley).

I mean this bit here. My GT2 pulley barely fits through the hole:

January 28, 2017 05:14AM
I thought you were talking about the belt! My OM2 first used a printed (!) part and I switched to an aluminium part so I had no difficulties. However the trouble was with my OM1 with MXL belt.

February 04, 2017 10:39AM
ok i replaced the belt and i still seem to get a rough spots where the hot end would stop for a split second and move on. Could be the linear bearing? or bearing inside the nema 17(altho i find it unlikely since it would bind on more spots).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2017 11:10AM by Darathy.
February 05, 2017 01:51AM
Maybe it is the bearing. Remove the belt and move it over the rod some times to see if everything is okay. Once I had serious trouble with my OM2 because the motor bracket itself was not aligned/ angled. Did you use axes compensation during the print of the part? Had been the values correctly during the print?

February 05, 2017 11:02AM
The bearing seemed to move ok by hand but i replaced it and replaced the one at the idler and seems to have gone away. Strange it didnt feel like it was bad moving by hand.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login