Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Glass Bed

Posted by Jon Steward 
Glass Bed
January 02, 2017 02:29PM
I'm still using the original glass that came with my Ormerod 1.
It appears that the glass is fairly unstable so I was thinking about using a thicker piece.
What are others using?

Ormerod 113
Re: Glass Bed
January 03, 2017 01:36AM
I use 3mm and 4mm glass plates from my local glass supplier. I find 3mm stable enough, but 4mm is stiffer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2017 01:37AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 03, 2017 02:20AM
Go for 4mm

Erik
January 04, 2017 07:50AM
What appears to be a bending or domed glass plate is usually caused by other factors. An apparently warped glass is usually really the result of non-parallel Y rods which raises and lowers the front of the bed as it moves in Y. The Bowden tube exerting different forces as the X axis moves can result in the glass appearing to be domed. Obviously thicker & stiffer glass will not correct either of those issues, so ensure that you have really identified the problem before making unnecessary changes.

Dave
January 05, 2017 04:44PM
I'll check that Dave.
However, I have an aluminium bed which is almost perfectly flat.
Thanks
Jon

Ormerod 113
January 06, 2017 08:15AM
In which case the issue is almost certainly not the glass. Misaligned Y rods are the most common issue, and can be corrected by loosening the screws on the end-plates (feet) and twisting them relative to each other before re-tightening.

Dave
January 08, 2017 06:44AM
Jon Steward
What are others using?

1mm from a broken picture frame. Don't do that :-D
January 09, 2017 07:30AM
I now use a 5mm thick aluminium plate covered with a sheet of "printbite". No glass. For parts with small footprints that need greater adhesion to the bed, I coat the "Printbite" with saturated sugar solution (with a drop of washing-up liquid added so it doesn't bead when coated).

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login