Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions concerning upgrading to the new firmware 1.17a

Posted by lasse 
Questions concerning upgrading to the new firmware 1.17a
January 04, 2017 08:52AM
Hello!
I am an Owner of an Ormerod 2 since some years ago. I have just downloaded the folder with the new firware from dc42 . I have some questions ecpecially to you (or someone else who knows)
about the flashing to the Duet and copying to the SD-card.
After bulding the machine 2014 I made all the necessary steps of comissoning and calibration and also uppgraded to the newest firmware at that time
firmware 1.09. And in the beginning eveything seemed to work fine I could control and make successful printings from Pronterface, and also make succesful G code sendings from Arduino.

But in spite of many attempts I didnt manage to get a connection via the web interface. Also sometimes the printing didnt start att all when using pronterface . So I contacted the Reprap-company
that was in buissness at that time (as you all know they ar not today). They told me to send the Duet-board to them as ther was same hardware-foult whith it they assumed. So I did and after a
short time I got it in return and the harware where repaired . And since then I have usen my Ormerod via the web-interface whitout any serious problems. But i havn,t used it via pronterface
anymore.

So now I want to uppgrade to version 1.17 as it seems to be promising especially the possibility to have an interface for control and monitoring of the bed height something that I find rather
tricky now.

But the problem is that I get no connection to pronterface and Arudino reports connection to "Arudino Due(Native USB Port) Com1" but nothong happens when I give G-code commands.
If I take a look in device manager "Com 1" appears bot no "Arudino Due" (see my attached screendump) as it should do according to the upgrade-section of the comissoning.

Via the web interface both printing, heatercontrol, machine comtrol, G-code commands (like M105,M115 and M503) gives the correct responses so for me it doent matter that pronterface and
Arudino doesnt work.

But my guestions are: Is it still the same procedure whith the flashing of the new Firmware as in the commissoning : Deleting/Resetting the Duet and then placing bossac firmware and the new
Reprapfirmware in the same folder and then go to that folder via the command-prompt and write "bossac.exe -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-1.17a.bin" ?

And then after that copy the contents of the folder SD-Image to the SD-card? (4 files gcodes, macros, sys, and www). And at the end edit sys/config and the home values as they are now on
the SD-Card?
Is there anything else to think about?

I am asking because all this I dont want to loose connection whith my machine after deleting and resetting the Duet-board. The lack of "Arudino-Due" in the devicemanager makes me worried and unsure
to do this upgrade, as there are now way back if I delete the current Firmware and the flashing then is unsuccsessful.

At last Thank you all and especially dc42 for your continuing software-work and all good advices from all partitians in this forum and a happy new the year!

Regards from Lars, Sweden
Attachments:
open | download - devicemanager.jpg (104.2 KB)
Re: Questions concerning upgrading to the new firmware 1.17a
January 04, 2017 03:18PM
You can update the firmware from the webinterface:

Download the latest webinterface: [github.com]

Install it onto the SD card in the www folder(dont know which webinterface you have but newer you can go to settings->and press "Upload Files" and select the webinterface zip)

Restart the browser and do the same thing with the Firmware .bin file as i discribled in the () above.

As for not being able to see the duet in device manager ,Try a diferent cable(it can be foulty) ,the usb port on the duet was sometimes badly soldered Check if you can see anything wrong with it (i found some sample [www.ini.uzh.ch]).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2017 03:21PM by Darathy.
January 04, 2017 05:03PM
A few pointers:

- Whether you can update the firmware through the web interface depends on what firmware you have installed currently. 1.09 can't, you need at least about 1.09z to have that feature.

- There is no no need to change your config.g and homing files initially; but when you have your printer working with the new firmware, you may wish to compare the new homing files with your old ones (e.g. the new ones do simultaneous XY homing)

- You do need to replace the files in your /www folder. Rename the old one to keep ads a backup, create a new one, and unzip the DuetWebControl-1.14RC1.zip file to it.

- See Darathy's post above regarding USB.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 05, 2017 07:07AM
I have an Ormerod 2 running as it left the factory in 2015. My philosophy to date is it works so don't mend it, and after 40 years in computing I'm the sort of guy who only updates his iPad IOS version when Apple release the next one in beta! However it might be getting time to bite the bullet. I use the web interface exclusively, must be 18 months since I plugged in a USB connector.

My configuration is Windows 10 Arduino IDE 1.6.5 Firefox 50.1.0

Ormerod 2 version 528.5

M115 gives:
FIRMWARE_NAME:RepRapFirmware FIRMWARE_VERSION:1.09 ELECTRONICSgrinning smileyuet (+ Extension) DATE:2015-04-21

Settings tab on web interface gives: WEB INTERFACE HTML v1.06 JS 1.06

So my questions are:

If I upload DuetWebControl-1.14RC1.zip as in DC42s posting will that enable me to upgrade the firmware on the Arduino to RepRapFirmware-1.17a.bin without touching the Arduino IDE and Bossac? Using my existing configuration I can "upload" for example a .txt file to the sys: folder of the SD card but I can find no other options of where to download to. I suspect that I will have to insert the SD card onto my PC to do this?

If I do update the firmware will the Ormerod continue to work without making wiring changes etc.?

Is there a list or set of instructions etc. detailing the improvements in the Firmware from the original RepRapPro version and any other things to know. I have seen posts regarding motors going backwards etc. but didn't pay attention at the time.

I note that Arduino has released version 1.8.0 of their IDE, are there any compatibility problems known should I have to use the IDE. I only ask as I'm currently building an MPCNC machine that uses Ramps 1.4 and its much more primitive so I'm going to have to download an updated version of the IDE for that. I appreciate using a ".0" version of any software is dangerous

TIA

Dennis
January 05, 2017 10:15AM
sinnedwrong
If I upload DuetWebControl-1.14RC1.zip as in DC42s posting will that enable me to upgrade the firmware on the Arduino to RepRapFirmware-1.17a.bin without touching the Arduino IDE and Bossac? Using my existing configuration I can "upload" for example a .txt file to the sys: folder of the SD card but I can find no other options of where to download to. I suspect that I will have to insert the SD card onto my PC to do this?

No, that won't work. You need a more recent version of the firmware already installed to do in-application firmware updates. After you have upgraded the firmware and also copied iap.bin to /sys on the SD card, you will be able to do firmware updates from DWC.

sinnedwrong
If I do update the firmware will the Ormerod continue to work without making wiring changes etc.?

You will need to make a few changes to config.g, such as adding an M569 P0 command if you don't already have one (to get the X motor moving the right way) and adding M574 to define your endstop switches. Also you will need to run auto turning on your extruder heater, and on the bed heater too if you want to use PID for the bed.

sinnedwrong
Is there a list or set of instructions etc. detailing the improvements in the Firmware from the original RepRapPro version and any other things to know. I have seen posts regarding motors going backwards etc. but didn't pay attention at the time.

[reprap.org] and [github.com].

sinnedwrong
I note that Arduino has released version 1.8.0 of their IDE, are there any compatibility problems known should I have to use the IDE. I only ask as I'm currently building an MPCNC machine that uses Ramps 1.4 and its much more primitive so I'm going to have to download an updated version of the IDE for that. I appreciate using a ".0" version of any software is dangerous

It doesn't matter what version of Arduino IDE you have, as long as bossac is installed. If you are using a Windows machine, you may need to install the Duet device driver from [github.com] if you want to talk to your Duet over USB.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 06, 2017 01:40PM
DC42

Thanks for your helpful response, clearly some detailed study will be needed of the 2 URLs you provided before I bite the bullet but just to make sure I have the right idea I will need to:

1 Connect the Duet via a USB cable to a PC and then using the Arduino IDE and Bossac, upload a newer firmware version. Presumably that could be RepRapFirmware-1.17a.bin. My understanding of the RepRapPro instructions for upgrading the firmware is that I will need to access the "erase" and "reset buttons on the Duet.

2 Once installed I will be able to install the latest Webcontrol software directly.

3 My config file to has the line M569 P0 S0 ; Set X axis direction so I assume that won't need changing but doesn't have a M574. All endstops are unchanged from the Ormerod 2-5

This is my config file, essentially unchanged from the RepRapPro supplied version:

M111 S0 ; Debug off
M550 PMy RepRapPro Ormerod 2 ; Machine name (can be anything you like). With DHCP enabled connect to (example) [reprapproormerod2] (machine name with no spaces).
M551 Preprap ; Machine password (currently not used)
M540 P0xBE:0xEF:0xDE:0xAD:0xFE:0xED ; MAC Address
;M552 P0.0.0.0 ; Un-comment for DHCP
M552 P192.168.0.14 ; IP address, comment for DHCP
M553 P255.255.255.0 ; Netmask
M554 P192.168.0.1 ; Gateway, comment for DHCP
M555 P2 ; Set output to look like Marlin
G21 ; Work in millimetres
G90 ; Send absolute corrdinates...
M83 ; ...but relative extruder moves
M906 X800 Y1000 Z800 E800 ; Set motor currents (mA)
M305 P0 R4700 ; Set the heated bed thermistor series resistor to 4K7
M305 P1 R4700 ; Set the hot end thermistor series resistor to 4K7
M569 P0 S0 ; Set X axis direction
;M92 E413 ; Set extruder steps per mm changed from 420 27/7/15
M92 E430 ;set extruder steps/mm changed 300*420/293 01/01/17
M558 P2 ; Use a modulated Z probe
G31 Z0.8 P624 ; removed fan 19/12/16
M556 S75 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Put your axis compensation here
M201 X500 Y500 Z15 E500 ; Accelerations (mm/s^2)
M203 X15000 Y15000 Z100 E3600 ; Maximum speeds (mm/min)
M566 X200 Y200 Z30 E20 ; Minimum speeds mm/minute
M563 P0 D0 H1 ; Define tool 0
G10 P0 S-273 R-273 ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures
;M563 P1 D1 H2 ; Define tool 1, uncomment if you have a dual colour upgrade
;G10 P1 X19 S-273 R-273 ; Set tool 1 operating and standby temperatures, uncomment if you have a dual colour upgrade

4 My Slic3r setup (as supplied by RepRapPro has under the custom G code Printer setting:

start G code:
G28 ; home all axes
M83;
G10 P0 S195 R160 ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures
T0

and end G code
G1 X2 Y190 F9000
G1 Z20 F200 ;New line to raise Z axis at end
G4 S0
G10 P0 S-273 R-273 ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures
M140 S-273 ;original M140 S40

under the Filament settings

Temperature bed:
First layer 57 Other layer 57

Will that do the auto turning on of the extruder heater and I don't know what PID is short for.

Sorry to be a pain

Dennis
January 06, 2017 05:15PM
Regarding #2, your existing version of the web interface may be too old to work with firmware 1.17a, so you won't be able to upgrade the web interface that way. Instead, move the SD card to your PC, rename the /www folder to something else, create a new /www folder, and extract the contents of the DuetWebControl 1.14 zip file to it.

For an Ormerod 2, the M574 command you need is M574 X1 Y1 Z0 S1.

You can read about heater tuning at [duet3d.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2017 05:16PM by dc42.

January 08, 2017 09:29AM
After changing the Duet usb-cable to another USB port i can now see Arudino Due on port 5 in device manager and both Arudino (version 1.8) and pronterface finds this port and gives correct returns on G-commands and other things.
I have upgraded the support for Arudino Sam based boards to version 1.6.9 in board manager but its not possible to upgrade to later versions but that is maybe not necessary according to you
DC42 " It doesn't matter what version of Arduino IDE you have, as long as bossac is installed. If you are using a Windows machine, you may need to install the Duet device driver from [github.com] if you want to talk to your Duet over USB."

According to the commision-text Bossac.exe is needed in the location C:/Users/Lars/Appdata/Roaming/Aurdino15/packages/arduino/tools/bossac/1.6.1-arduino/bossac.exe. But Ihave no folder called" Aurdino15" in that location.
Do I have to get Bossac.exe from an earlier version of Arudino and place it on this location manually? I have not found a separate file called Bossac exe on the net.
Lars
January 08, 2017 12:07PM
lasse
...Do I have to get Bossac.exe from an earlier version of Arudino and place it on this location manually? I have not found a separate file called Bossac exe on the net.
Lars

Copying Bossac.exe to the same directory (any directory) as the firmware and running Bossac.exe from a command prompt works for me (attached the Win version I use)

My latest firmware flash, string used: bossac --port=COM10 -U true -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-1.09r-dc42.bin -R

Erik
Attachments:
open | download - bossac.zip (254.2 KB)
January 08, 2017 03:05PM
With later versions of Arduino, you need to install the optional SAM processor support to get bossac included. Alternatively, if your PC runs Windows, you can find a copy of bossac.exe in the Tools folder of my RepRapFirmware repo on GitHub.

January 09, 2017 11:25AM
OK thanx
Lasse
January 12, 2017 10:13AM
I have done attempts to update to Firmware 1.17a in these steps.

Step 1:I have succesfully made a flashupdate to Firmware 1.17a both flashing and veryfying was OK.
But checking in device manage directly after the flashing it says: "Bossa program port (com24)"
I expected it should show "Arudino Due(com24)"

Step2: I replaced the folders gcodes,sys, www and macros in the SD-card whith the new folders from the new 1.17a package from DC42.
After that port 24 was not recognized at all and I can not get any contact whit my Omerod2 printer at all neither by the program Arudino1.8
nor Pronterface or the web interface. In Arudino when opening boards manager the following 2 error messages appears:
"Board at com 24 not avalable"
and
"Could not find boards.txt in C:\Users\Lars\Appdata\Local\Arudino15\packages\\arudino hardware\sam\1.6.9. Is it pre-1.5?"

And as I wrote earlier there is nothing at that location as Arudino 1.8 dont creates this during the installation.

Step3: The only way i can see something that has to do whith my printer and the Duet board is by checking in device manager "other devices"
that shows "duet" This shows up regardless if the SD card is in place on the Duetboard or not, but (of course) disappears if the usb-cable
is disconnected.

So what is wrong?
Lars
January 12, 2017 10:18AM
After step 1 you may need to power down or reset the Duet before the port stops being Bossa and becomes the Duet port.

After installing the new firmware, depending on what version of Windows you have, you may need to install the device driver from [github.com] for the "other device" in order to recognise the Duet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 10:19AM by dc42.

January 12, 2017 10:34AM
Ok thanx DC42 for your quick answer I will try this.
Lars
January 12, 2017 01:39PM
Also the com port number usually changes, so you won't connect to the Duet using the same port number you used to upload the firmware.

Dave
January 14, 2017 08:55AM
Now I succesfully installed everything concerning the update 1.17a and it works fine . I realize you must have done a hard work to get everything to function DC42 ! I have successfylly auto tuned both the hot end and bed heaters.

When tuning the hotend I got the warning that it was over powered so I guess its a good Idea to set the PWM value lower than 1.0 maybe 0.8.(?) when adding the M307 command to config.g. Does it matter where in config.g I put the M307 command. The same question I have concerning the M569 P0 that chancges the rotation of the X motor does it matter where I place it?

One thing confuses me : When I homed all the axes through the Webinterface I had to push the "emergency stop" button to avoid a crash between the nozzle and the bed. Of course I have put my machines z-probe height value in config.g so why did this happen?

For this reason I have not tested the bed levelling yet (is this done whith the M 557 command?) I dont want to have any bed crashes.

Finally I have an Idea to Improve the way to adjust the bedheight in an eysier way . Instead of these small nuts in the 3 corners of the bed it would be much easier to do this if these were replaced whith bigger ones like nut-rings whith same thread but outher radius of about 2-3 cm. At least you could replace 2 of the 3 corners oft the bed this way.
I will check the market for this this (I am and old mecanaic) and come back to this forum regarding such nuts

Lars
January 14, 2017 11:08AM
It sounds to me that your Z probe is not working correctly. Assuming you have the RRP modulated IR sensor, if you bring a piece of white paper up beneath it, you should see the value displayed in DWC rise from near zero to 800 or more.

Things to check if it is not working:

- Correct M558 command in config.g. For the O2 with RRP modulated IR sensor, AFAIR it should me M558 P2 X1 Z1.
- Correct G31 command in config.g, with appropriate Z and P parameters for your machine. It must be AFTER the M558 command.
- Correct wiring. The expansion connector pins that the Z probe connects too were changed between firmware versions, although that was a very long time ago.

The M569 command can go anywhere in config.g. The M307 command can go anywhere, except that if you also have a M301 command to set the PID parameters manually, then it must come after the M301 command for the same heater or it will be ignored.

The nut rings sounds like a good idea to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2017 11:08AM by dc42.

January 15, 2017 08:57AM
My Ir probe seems to work correctly now after changing the M558 value from P2 to P1 in config.g. Now only 1 heightvalue is returned instead of 2 totally different 1 in parentesis before.

But still some things confuses me:

1: Homelocation for X is -76 decreasing the X- movments in the Webinterface moves the nozzle away from this location so in the opposite corner is X-226. Homelocation for Y is 11, increasing the Y- movements moves the nozzle away from the homelocation.
so in the opposite corner is Y 171Is this ok? I have put the M569 P0 command in config.g.

2 What controls the bed plane compensation instead of "bed.g" that isnt present anymore?

3 Do I need to put in correct values in both homeall and homez to get functioning "home XYZ command in the webinterface?

Lars (maybe someone thinks typically stupid swedish guy :-( )
I
January 15, 2017 09:24AM
1. If you have the 4-wire RepRapPro IR sensor that shipped with the Ormerod 2, then you should definitely use P2 not P1. The value in brackets should always be very low unless there is a lot of background IR.

2. If the X axis moves the wrong way, change S0 to S1 or vice versa in the M569 P0 command.

3. Adjust the X and Y coordinates in the M208 S1 command in config.g to be the locations of the head when you home X and Y, so that X=0 and Y=0 are at the edges of the bed. You do not need any G92 commands in the homing files if you are using the ones from my github repository.

4. You should use the same bed.g file that you had before.

All the Swedes I have known have been very intelligent smiling smiley

January 17, 2017 02:49PM
Now I have adjusted the IR probe height and set P2 , put in the M208 values for my printer, adjusted the heaters and location values for the M557 command so the last step before printing tests is controlling the bed level.

Giving the M557 preceeded by G 29 S0 command returns " no girids defined" So I tried to check the trigger height as described in "Using mesh bed compensation" See quoted text below
"Make sure there is no filament stuck to the nozzle (you may want to do this test with the nozzle hot)
Cancel any existing bed compensation by sending M561
Command the print head to the XY coordinates you want to probe
Command the print head down in small steps until the nozzle just touches the bed or just grips a sheet of paper. You may need to send M564 S0 to allow movement lower than where the firmware thinks Z=0 is. You may also wish to create a macro to lower the head by e.g. 0.02mm to get greater accuracy (G91 followed by G1 Z-0.02).
Send G92 Z0 to define that height as Z=0
Command the nozzle up 5mm (G1 Z5)
Send G30 S-1 to probe the bed without resetting the Z=0 position
Read off the Z height form the web interface. That is the trigger height.
Repeat the previous two steps a couple of times to make sure you are getting a consistent result
Repeat steps 3-9 for the other XY positions you want to check"

This just confuses me sending G30 S-1 just makes the head go down 5 mm and hit the bed and I have to stop this by hitting the emergency button. Is it really this Z value I should read and repeat for more XY points?

This last step confuses me how do I do to get the graphics that gives the 5 control points for the bed level I think I have tried everything.

Thanx for your comment about swedes DC42 I think englismen is intellegent too (only surprised you will leave EU)
January 17, 2017 04:33PM
If G30 S-1 causes the nozzle to hit the bed, then the proximity sensor is not working properly. Have you tested it? Does Z homing work? See [reprappro.com].

January 19, 2017 09:20AM
My proximity sensor works properly according to the tests I have done including Z homing, reading values holding a piece of white paper close and more. My G31 input in config.g is G31 Z1.4 P585 and works.

But I think I found out the problem, not only probing the bed, but printing good result for le last six months since I started to use my machine not only at home but in the technical scool where I work . I should have realized it earlier. I think it has nothing to do whith software and eletronics but the (weak) mecanical construction of the Ormerod. Unlike most of other printers like Flashforge the Y movment is made by moving the bed back and forward. Ths means that the two rods below the bed must be paralell very accurate. When transporting the machine I now realize the if only fractions of a mm of this is failing, the bed will be unlevelled for much bigger size in Y direction.

I my case doing the command G30 S-1 on apart Y positions gave the trigger heights -1,360 and -2,19!
In the X direction there ar only very small differences -1,360 and -1,348 for 2 points apart from eachother. So I guess thats why the commands like M557 X10:190 Y:10:190 520 returns "Probe was not triggered during probing mode"
And I assume this explains why printings of things mat mainly goes in X direcition works fine but in Y direction makes lousy results

Im I right?
So my next step is to correct the rods, and in a sort of way make the constroction more reliable and robust maybe making a "house" for the whole ormerod.
Lars
January 19, 2017 10:05AM
lasse
...So my next step is to correct the rods, and in a sort of way make the constroction more reliable and robust maybe making a "house" for the whole ormerod...

Some ideas for you

Aluminum endplates, y-axis

[forums.reprap.org]

Rebuild of Blitza's Ormerod1

[forums.reprap.org]

Ormerod Bigfoot mod!

[forums.reprap.org]

Erik (user of Swedish snus :-))
January 19, 2017 03:50PM
lasse
But I think I found out the problem, not only probing the bed, but printing good result for le last six months since I started to use my machine not only at home but in the technical scool where I work . I should have realized it earlier. I think it has nothing to do whith software and eletronics but the (weak) mecanical construction of the Ormerod. Unlike most of other printers like Flashforge the Y movment is made by moving the bed back and forward. Ths means that the two rods below the bed must be paralell very accurate. When transporting the machine I now realize the if only fractions of a mm of this is failing, the bed will be unlevelled for much bigger size in Y direction.

I my case doing the command G30 S-1 on apart Y positions gave the trigger heights -1,360 and -2,19!
In the X direction there ar only very small differences -1,360 and -1,348 for 2 points apart from eachother. So I guess thats why the commands like M557 X10:190 Y:10:190 520 returns "Probe was not triggered during probing mode"
And I assume this explains why printings of things mat mainly goes in X direcition works fine but in Y direction makes lousy results

Im I right?

Yes. Y-axis twist is a common problem and there are a few threads about it in this forum.

You can increase the probe dive height in the M558 H parameter to get successful probing with an uneven bed.

January 22, 2017 02:45PM
Thanx DC42 and Eric (ormerod168) l for your constructions. I am going to make my Ormerod more exact and reliable, Eric(the user of our snus I was also using this earlier wonderful!!) can you show some me more pictures of bigfoot 2 ? As a thanx I attach a file
of our most famous building in Helsingborg the old tower of karnan from year 1300 made by myself!
Lars
Attachments:
open | download - karnan36.STL (581.4 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login