Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Torn ptfe tube

Posted by Sardi 
Torn ptfe tube
February 15, 2017 12:58PM
I noticed my nozzle was clogged so I proceeded to clean it, but couldnt completely unclog it even after several cleanings of wich some were more than thorough.

My last option was to check the ptfe tube inside the nozzle, and it was torn in 2. Literally like someone pulled it apart.

Currently im trying to get the rest of the ptfe tube out, and it turns out its not going to be easy at all.

Any ideas what could have caused this?
Re: Torn ptfe tube
February 15, 2017 02:40PM
Its worn. When i removed the ptfe tube out of curiosity on mine, material had crept up on the bottom of the tube as the liner deteriorated due to heat. I removed mine by setting the hotend in a softjawed vice, heated the hotend and a copper strand ~Ø0,5mm which i then inserted into the plastic, then i cooled the copper strand with compressed air while pulling it out again.
February 15, 2017 04:25PM
I managed to take it out eventually. It was stuck pretty good, mixed with leftovers of the filament.

My next issue is how to clean the nozzle from the inside completely so that I can put the new tube in..
February 15, 2017 05:16PM
February 16, 2017 05:27AM
The only thing you can buy in my god forsaken country is aceton, so I gave it a shot with that.
Will see in a couple of hours how it turned out.
February 16, 2017 01:39PM
Sardi
The only thing you can buy in my god forsaken country is aceton, so I gave it a shot with that.
Will see in a couple of hours how it turned out.

I know the feeling ,i live in the same kind of country xD
February 17, 2017 07:12AM
So, Ive got no ptfe tubes any more and cant find to buy the one small enough to fit inside the nozzle.

Can I print without it?

EDIT: to answer my question - no. Didnt try though grinning smiley googled it ..

And what is the exact dimenson of that tube - as much as I can tell its 2mm inside diameter with 0.5mm thickness of the plastic?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2017 08:49AM by Sardi.
February 17, 2017 05:30PM
Have you tried RepRapLtd? Even if they can't supply the PTFE tube they should at least be able to tell you the correct dimensions.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 18, 2017 04:42AM
Ive looked in their shop, but they do not sell ptfe tube that goes inside the nozzle, only the bowden one.

Since I need to print asap, I just ordered a new 0.5 nozzle that comes with the ptfe tube in it.
February 18, 2017 04:55AM
dc42
Have you tried RepRapLtd? Even if they can't supply the PTFE tube they should at least be able to tell you the correct dimensions.

the measurement are in the pdf folder of the Ormerod 1 (383 and 384).zip

to totally clean nozzle use a 0.5 - 2 and 3mm hand held drill bit (for the 3mm, a flat nosed end mill cutter would be perfect)

Erik
February 18, 2017 06:09AM
So the nozzle dimensions are :

Inner diameter 2mm
Outer diameter 3mm
Length 8mm

Any idea where I could buy the tube in those dimensions?
A meter or two is ok, I know no one is gonna sell me 8mm of tube ...
February 18, 2017 09:06AM
February 19, 2017 07:41AM
If i remember correctly the assembly manual states that the inner tube has the same size as the bowden tube feeding into the extruder. If that is the case you got yourself a quick fix.
February 19, 2017 08:58AM
You are correct about the inner diameter, but its the outside diameter thats different.

Bowden tube ID 2mm OD 4mm
PTFE tube in the nozzle ID 2mm OD 3mm

I have ordered 2 meters of 2mm/3mm ptfe tube so that Im covered for any future mishaps.
February 19, 2017 01:35PM
What revision do you have? 528,4 came with two long bowden tubes. One Ø4mm and one Ø3mm. It is part number #190 and is shown in the documentation under Wiring > Spool Mount
February 19, 2017 01:36PM
Dont know about revision, but mine is Ormerod 1. Didnt get any extra tubes except the one for the bowden tube. The small ptfe tube for the nozzle came with the nozzle itself, allready premounted.
February 19, 2017 05:24PM
Ah. Well you found a supplier. Best wishes with our build.
February 20, 2017 06:19AM
Thanks man.

If you dont find it on ebay, it does not exist grinning smiley
February 21, 2017 07:11AM
Sardi
Ive looked in their shop, but they do not sell ptfe tube that goes inside the nozzle, only the bowden one.

Since I need to print asap, I just ordered a new 0.5 nozzle that comes with the ptfe tube in it.

Sorry - I was away last week so didn't catch this post until now. We've got bags of the stuff - It's listed here for future ref: [reprapltd.com]

Always worth sending us a message if you can't find what you need as we have a lot of components that aren't necessarily on the webshop or we know where to source them.

Best wishes
Sally

Sally Bowyer
RepRap Ltd
February 21, 2017 08:38AM
SallyRepRap
Sorry - I was away last week so didn't catch this post until now. We've got bags of the stuff - It's listed here for future ref: [reprapltd.com]

Always worth sending us a message if you can't find what you need as we have a lot of components that aren't necessarily on the webshop or we know where to source them.

Best wishes
Sally

Sally Bowyer
RepRap Ltd

Hi Sally, dont know how exactly I have missed this on your webshop, but Im pretty sure it wasnt there when I looked last week cause I swept through your webshop atleast 5 or 6 times going from category to category, and looking at all the items outside of categories.

But good to know for future reference.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 08:39AM by Sardi.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login