Three years later and I’m back! Help please getting up to date with firmware,etc...
November 06, 2017 07:14AM
Hi All,
After a break of almost exactly 3 years (long story: self employment, working in China, no access to my printer, life getting in way, etc, etc) I can finally now look forward to spending some serious time with my 3D printer and my robots (semi-retiriing at Xmas) - hurrah!

It’s great to see that this forum is still up and running, and I still recognise quite a few of the contributors - respect to you all. It was always the most fantastic support group for me and I look forward to playing a more full part going forwards...

Anyhoo...dusted off (literally) my Ormerod this weekend and happy to report that it pretty much sprang straight back to life and I’ve already made a couple of fairly respectable test prints, so now it’s about getting it up to date firmware wise, etc. An M115 reports: FIRMWARE_NAME:RepRapFirmware FIRMWARE_VERSION:0.78v-dc42 ELECTRONICS Duet (+ Extension) DATE:2014-11-01 (yes I know...OMG!) so my core question is should I just jump to DC’s latest firmware version and what do I need to look out for please? My machine already has DC’s Z probe fitted...

Any advice and things I ought to know or beware before I leap in and trash a perfectly good Ormerod would be massively helpful

Many thanks

Andrew
Re: Three years later and I’m back! Help please getting up to date with firmware,etc...
November 06, 2017 08:30AM
Welcome back!

I suggest you install firmware 1.19.2 from here [github.com]. Things to watch out for:

* Check that your Z probe wires are connected correctly as shown in the final version of the Ormerod wiring diagram on the reprappro.com site. The pins used on the expansion connector changed at some point but I can't remember whether it was before or after release 0.78.

* Test the Z probe before you rely on it for X or Z homing.

* The X axis may go backwards. Modern practice is to plug the X motor cable in with the colours the same way round as for the other motors, and use the M569 command to reverse the direction of the X motor.

* You will need a M574 command in config.g to specify where your Y endstop switch is located.

I suggest you save copies of your existing config.g and homing files, then generate new ones using [configurator.reprapfirmware.org].

Support information for the Duets is now mostly at [duet3d.com].

HTH David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2017 08:31AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Three years later and I’m back! Help please getting up to date with firmware,etc...
November 06, 2017 09:32AM
Wonderful, David...thank you as ever...will give it ago and report back smiling smiley
Hey just found this post and i have a similar situation where i have an Ormerod 2 and a Duet 0.6 board with external 5v circuit and am running 0.78 firmware that i expect is the DC42 version as i connected my Paneldue and it worked after connecting screen and powering up.

i am really curious as to how you got on with upgrading firmware and what you did to get it working.

Cheers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login