Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Back sooner than expected! Ebay import winging back to UK!

Posted by WesBrooks 
Back sooner than expected! Ebay import winging back to UK!
December 27, 2017 03:07PM
Hi all.

Having only recently broken up my Ormerod at work I've just ordered one for home. Ironically found a few on sale in Australia on ebay. Hope to have it back here for less than £200 including duty! Will be looking closely at the metal x-axis and any other mods people recommend to build in from the start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 03:08PM by WesBrooks.
Re: Back sooner than expected! Ebay import winging back to UK!
December 28, 2017 05:03AM
I've ordered some bits to improve the zaxis drive as I had screw pitched z wobble on my last Ormerod.

What artefacts on the prints should I be looking out from the acrylic xaxis parts or is it more a case of the axis compensation going out if you breathe on the machine?
January 13, 2018 06:09AM
Parcel arrived. Charged the 20% duty plus £10 handling charge from parcel force. Around £41 in charges, so brand new Ormerod 2 for around £190 including shipping!
January 17, 2018 04:33PM
Also coudnt resist the opertunity to have an ormerod at home and at work. Mine is currently clearing customs. Hopefully have it for the weekend. Currently printing all the updated parts ime using on the current machine and all other bits in abs so i can build it with the upgrades from the start.
January 18, 2018 03:10AM
The import version for me is version *.2. It was one of the ones that version *.1 on the arm and *.2 on the sticker on the PSU.

I can't build it for a while as I promised my better half I'd finish a few other open projects off first! No chores, all for my benefit they've just mounted up a bit!

Currently debating whether to build the printer as is or get the uprated x-arm straight away. Not sure whether to save the money for hardware for a complete rebuild to something of similar build area but more rigid for better transit.
January 19, 2018 02:16PM
Disclaimer: I would rate myself just above "Novice" level smiling smiley

If you're printing 528.5 parts and it's single extruder, then I'd be tempted to say "build as is". From what I can see, the 528.5 x-carriage with the MR93ZZ bearing that runs on the underside of the x-axis plate, rather than on the back of it reduces the amount of flex of the x-axis-plate. (Probably enough to remove the requirement for an aluminium x-axis on single extruder builds, but I can't say for sure because I'm not touching my single extruder 528.4 until I've finished building my dual extruder 528.5 (with aluminium x-axis) to a satisfactory level that I feel happy enough to dismantle my first!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login