Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bringing my Ormerod v1 back from the dead

Posted by DanV 
Bringing my Ormerod v1 back from the dead
May 07, 2018 02:21AM
Hi all,
After my z axis lower mount broke over a year ago, and seeing recent advancements in DC42's brilliant firmware and general printer tech overall, I have decided to dust my v1 off and do some mods to bring it back to life.

Attached is a render of where I am up to so far, trying to upgrade and improve as much as I can.

Heated bed upgrade to magnetic prusa version.
Reprint all parts in ABS+.
Direct drive Z axis with 8mm leadscrew.
General beefing up overall.
Considering upgrading to the new Duet WiFi as I really like trimatic drivers. I had started redesigning my own controller with them but saw the new Duet and fell in love instantly lol.

Will try to keep this thread updated as I progress..... and as i catch up with the forum and all the firmware updates.
Attachments:
open | download - received_10215927455201307.png (389.4 KB)
Re: Bringing my Ormerod v1 back from the dead
May 07, 2018 03:15AM
My own Ormerod 1 is run by a Duet 2 Maestro now. The main modification I had to do was to replace the ribbon cable to the bed by a bed heater power cable. I kept 2 strands of the ribbon cable for the thermistor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2018 03:17AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 07, 2018 03:20AM
Nice DC42.
Is the Duet 2 Maestro newer than the WiFi? Is it on duet3d.com or do I need to look elsewhere mate?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2018 03:22AM by DanV.
May 07, 2018 04:50AM
The Duet 2 Maestro is currently on pre-order at [fitforlaunch.com]. It's a little less capable than the Duet WiFi and Duet Ethernet - see [duet3d.dozuki.com] - but more than adequate for an Ormerod.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

May 07, 2018 05:54AM
Thanks for the info DC42.
I am guessing we have to wait 3months or so before we receive it?
So if I want one sooner than that, the wifi or ethernet boards are my only choice from a duet point of view?
Maestro is really well priced though.
May 07, 2018 09:17AM
DanV
So if I want one sooner than that, the wifi or ethernet boards are my only choice from a duet point of view?

They are quoting 2 months for the $114 package and 3 months for the $99 package. If you are in the EU, don't forget to add international shipping, VAT, and the carrier's fee for collecting VAT to the those prices. In 3-4 months time we should have them in the Duet3D web store. If you want a Duet sooner, then the Duet WiFi and Duet Ethernet are your alternatives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2018 09:18AM by dc42.

May 07, 2018 07:47PM
dc42
DanV

They are quoting 2 months for the $114 package and 3 months for the $99 package. If you are in the EU, don't forget to add international shipping, VAT, and the carrier's fee for collecting VAT to the those prices. In 3-4 months time we should have them in the Duet3D web store. If you want a Duet sooner, then the Duet WiFi and Duet Ethernet are your alternatives.

OK not a problem. Thanks for the info and help again mate.
May 08, 2018 12:32AM
I've been building a NOS Ormerod 2 kit recently that I got on ebay over the new year break. I've been thinking about progressing quickly to a complete rebuild to my own flavour. Never used an Ormerod 1 but heard converting the bed to a Ormerod 2 style is worth considering. If the duet 0.6 and wifi/ethernet bolt in the same holes then I'd crack on with the 0.6 and upgrade control card when the system is ready for it. Two seperate victories then! If the Ormerod 1 is anything like the Ormerod 1 there should be plenty of low fruit mods that will hrlp a lot. I'm about to get the part fan running.

All that said I have used the Duet Wifi when I upgraded someones board in an Up Plus 2 printer and have just received an Ethernet for use at work. They are clearly better than the 0.6. Looking forward to using the parrallel processing features inbthe 2.0 firmware.

I asked recently about what material is favoured and a filled PETG material was recommended. This may be nicer to print and more conductive to heat than ABS. I've found ABS stiff but brittle. Suffered with many PLA broken parts in my build so would be wary of moving to something more brittle.
May 08, 2018 03:10AM
The weak part of the Ormerod 1 bed is the MDF bed support. I upgraded the bed support on mine to aluminium, see [ddmetalproducts.co.uk].

May 08, 2018 05:11AM
Some of DDMetalProducts are sold through:

[www.3dprintandstuff.co.uk]

Ordered my metal x-arm direct and my metal Ormerod2 bed bed support from the above. Minor issue with the countersinking appearing to be on the wrong side of the main plate sending the heater bed wires down the left hand side of the plate rather than the right, but expect that's either an error on my behalf, or they will resolve it soon now that I've raised it with them.
May 18, 2018 08:56PM
Update.

Started getting all the printed parts printed in ABS.
Sent files through to laser cutter for aluminum parts.
Still considering my options regarding Duet upgrade.

Image links:

General View

Under the Bed
May 18, 2018 09:52PM
Interesting design and a nice looking model. I hope that you will post pictures when its completed. May I ask if you would share the details of the x axis endstop and mount that you plan to use?
May 20, 2018 08:12AM
ayudtee
Interesting design and a nice looking model. I hope that you will post pictures when its completed. May I ask if you would share the details of the x axis endstop and mount that you plan to use?

I will certainly post pictures of the actual completed printer.

Happy to share all of it if you like. Will get some STL's together for you.
May 24, 2018 10:36PM
Quick question....... what version of firmware is the latest from DC42 for a 085 Duet ????

I am confused as I havent kept up to date and I now see a 2.0RC5 release and a 1.21.1RC5?

https://github.com/dc42/RepRapFirmware/releases
May 25, 2018 01:28AM
The 1.21.RC5 is compatible with Duet 0.6 and 0.8.5.

Edit: In fact that release is fine for all duets. The 2+ releases are making use of a RTOS or real time operating system that allows things to happen in parrallel by using either multi threading or multi processing. Probably the latter. Either way it allows networking to be processed in parrallel to builds. Not sure how far dc42 has got yet but uploads and file management while printing and background build time simulation have been mentioned.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2018 03:07AM by WesBrooks.
May 25, 2018 03:20AM
Sweet, thank you WesBrooks, all up and running latest 1.21.RC5 and latest Web Interface also now.

Is there a way to alter which port (instead of the assumed port 80) that the web interface operates on?
May 25, 2018 03:30AM
all good, I used port forwarding on my router and altered it that way.
May 25, 2018 03:51AM
No problem, I'm just another user!

I'm running a Duet 0.6 at home, and recently a Duet Ethernet at work. The releases for the 0.6 and 0.8.5 are now intended as bug fix only, but I've plenty I can learn on that before needing an upgrade!
May 25, 2018 07:33AM
Stripped the v1 Ormerod and starting installing some of the new ABS printed parts tonight.
Waiting on delivery of the parts from Prusa and Buildtak now as well as some laser cut aluminium items.
Progress photo is attached.
Attachments:
open | download - 1.jpg (134.2 KB)
May 25, 2018 07:53AM
Part way through installing the Ormerod 2 version of the heated bed support myself. I've also taken the task of reverse engineering the STL files on RepRapPros git hub into FreeCAD files. Like others have said an open source project that shares CAD in a closed sorce format with no 2D drawings is not as helpful as it could be. It is bringing my CAD skills back up to speed which is useful before I fall back into the job market later this year!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2018 07:56AM by WesBrooks.
May 31, 2018 02:15AM
What extruder are you running and what is that tab on the outside of the build surface at min y, max x?

I appreciate our goals are different to those of RapRapPro when they made this but can see you've tackled a few of the things on my list. The bottom bracket was the only printed component to fail on the ormerod 2 I built for work but many parts have bust in the recent build. Just developing the CAD for the y axis motor mount at the moment. Think the coumter sunk rather than counter bored bolts is a weak point as it puts tention across the weakest direction of the material - perpendicular to the layers. In addition I've a pet hate for self tappers that dates back to my R/C car racing days over 20 years ago now! :-o

Materials have got so much better since my first build in 2014, and indeed the reprap birth in 2008. PLA was the only viable choice aroumd 2014, but hope to migrate onto PETG as soon as I can. Got 2kg of PLA to chew through first though!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2018 02:17AM by WesBrooks.
May 31, 2018 08:05AM
I am running the full hotend setup off of a MK3 Prusa as well as the magnetic 24V heated bed.
Running a BuildTak flexplate with BuildTak original on one side and BuildTak PEI on the other.
May 31, 2018 08:07AM
I appreciate the advances in material technology also mate. All my new printed parts are in eSun ABS+ which has proven to be far superior to the original PLA items.

I have received the parts from Prusa. BuildTak order should arrive tomorrow and over the weekend I should receive all my laser cut aluminium items.
June 03, 2018 06:55AM
Anyone know what DHT sensors are best suited for the latest firmware and if the duet 0.6 variant of firmware also supports it? I am going the Duet Maestro route though. Ordering one tomorrow. Just going to use my 0.6 in the short term.
June 03, 2018 08:28AM
Laser cut items arrived.

Some progress with assembly :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2018 08:28AM by DanV.
June 03, 2018 06:16PM
DanV
Anyone know what DHT sensors are best suited for the latest firmware and if the duet 0.6 variant of firmware also supports it? I am going the Duet Maestro route though. Ordering one tomorrow. Just going to use my 0.6 in the short term.

I understand that the DHT22 is the best one, and it is the one that I test the firmware with.

The version 1.21 stable firmware release for the Duet WiFi/Ethernet supports DHT sensors. The 2.0RC6 version for those boards and for the Duet Maestro does too. The firmware builds for the Duet 06/085 do not.

June 04, 2018 02:57AM
dc42
I understand that the DHT22 is the best one, and it is the one that I test the firmware with.

The version 1.21 stable firmware release for the Duet WiFi/Ethernet supports DHT sensors. The 2.0RC6 version for those boards and for the Duet Maestro does too. The firmware builds for the Duet 06/085 do not.

Thanks for clarifying DC42. I will order a DHT22 for future use with my Duet Maestro. Appreciate your time in answering my questions mate.
June 24, 2018 08:55AM
How's the build and commissioning coming along? Not had much time on mine recently but am up to about 8 of the 24ish parts reverse engineered into FreeCAD.

Edit: 27 parts, but not intending to reverse engineer the extruder or hotend as I intend to replace them before the first build.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2018 07:35AM by WesBrooks.
June 26, 2018 03:57AM
Build is going steady mate.
All parts are here now except for the connectors I need for the new Duet 2 Maestro which arrived today!
Hopefully spending some time on the wiring harness tonight (going to make it fairly long initially as I am planning to install it all into a purpose built cabinet in the end).

July 25, 2018 01:58PM
Ohhh lots of revival here on the forum.

I like the Magenta colour you chose for your printer parts! eye popping smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login