Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Second printer

Posted by jamesf 
Second printer
May 16, 2018 02:43AM
So, I suppose it was bound to happen , but still seems a difficult question to ask :-)

I need a second printer and I dont think it will be an ormerod. Anyone else here "replaced" their old favourite? With what? Experiences?

James
Re: Second printer
May 16, 2018 09:53AM
I still have my Ormerod 1, but my go-to printer is now a delta. See [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. It's not cheap though.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 16, 2018 09:59AM
Thanks David,

Does the Delta give much better quality?

James
May 16, 2018 02:27PM
It prints faster for the same print quality.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

August 04, 2018 09:48AM
What is your opinion of Tech2C's Hyper Cube?

[www.thingiverse.com]
August 04, 2018 11:30AM
I haven't built one so I can't comment. However, CoreXY printers are generally considered better for large print volumes than scaled-up Cartesian designs like the i3 or the Ormerod. There are several other CoreXY designs, for example RailCore at [forum.seemecnc.com].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2018 11:31AM by dc42.

August 07, 2018 12:28PM
Wow the Rail Core II printers seem amazing!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 12:38PM by Karoo Klong.
August 10, 2018 01:39AM
Voron, corexy, v2.1 is dropping soon -- [www.reddit.com]
August 16, 2018 01:56PM
Ive been using ormerod 1, since 2014, and have bought Tevo Tarantula dual nozzle/big bed last year, Ive assembled it, but have not used it yet.
August 22, 2018 03:29PM
A friend bought a Prusa i3 Mk3 a couple of months ago and I must say I've been damn impressed with it so far.
I've even considered selling both of my Ormerods (or even just discarding them) and buying the Mk3!

I'm now giving my better Ormerod 2 one last chance to come up to scratch.... smiling smiley
August 23, 2018 07:59AM
cheeseandham
A friend bought a Prusa i3 Mk3 a couple of months ago and I must say I've been damn impressed with it so far.
I've even considered selling both of my Ormerods (or even just discarding them) and buying the Mk3!

I'm now giving my better Ormerod 2 one last chance to come up to scratch.... smiling smiley

I looked at the Prusa for a long time, but I just can't justify the price. So I closed my eyes and bought a Creality Ender 3. I am a member of several Facebook 3D printing groups focused on my hobbies (mostly Wargaming and RPG's) and the prints coming out of this $200 printer are really good for the price.

It was something I thought about for a while, but then I recently had to replace virtually all the printed parts on my ormerod, which were delaminating, and I decided that my hobby is not 3D printing and messing with my printer - the printer is a tool to use to further my other interests. So I made the change. The Ender 3 took me an hour and a half to assemble out of the box. Nothing fancy - manual bed leveling, no web interface etc etc. But also no printed parts to fiddle with before they fit etc.

Before I bought I read a lot of reviews and people were complaining about various aspects of the Ender, difficulty leveling, etc. Now I'm laughing at them! I think if they had to assemble an Ormerod they'd kill themselves!

That being said, I'm still glad I got into printing when I did. We all learned a lot through fiddling, and this group was always incredible. The ormerod will still be used, but only for specific things I know work easily on it (for example I have a bridging problem I have simply not been able to solve)

JAmes
August 23, 2018 05:37PM
I didn't notice the post date! smiling smiley

jamesf
I decided that my hobby is not 3D printing and messing with my printer - the printer is a tool to use to further my other interests.

That's what I've been struggling with this last year, and I don't have the time for it - but I've ended up with a sunk cost with what I have too, which is annoying smiling smiley

Regardless, I'm toying with the idea of a Prusa i3 MK3, as having another one in the immediate vicinity now (and at an old friends to boot) kind of makes it even more viable with knowledge-sharing etc. (Rail Core II is nice though!)

Glad to hear you've had a good experience with the Ender 3.

jamesf
That being said, I'm still glad I got into printing when I did. We all learned a lot through fiddling, and this group was always incredible.

Amen to that and your whole post really. No regrets smiling smiley
August 30, 2018 02:31PM
I went for a Cetus3D, it behaves like a though a 3D printer would behave when I bought my Ormerod, it just works. But as said all I learned tinkering with the Ormerod has been very rewarding. Being a printer with direct extrusion it prints flexible filaments without any trouble too.
November 26, 2018 10:10AM
The Creality Ender 3 was also in my wishlist but importing to South Africa does not make it worth at all.

The Crealirty Ender 5 was released a few weeks ago and boy does it look exciting!

Have a look at the video.
November 26, 2018 03:30PM
Cantilever elevators can work. That one looks like a spring board.

Have a look at the core xy systems if that one has interested you. Less moving mass, both motors controling the x & y axis are stationery.
November 26, 2018 07:01PM
WesBrooks
Cantilever elevators can work. That one looks like a spring board.

Have a look at the core xy systems if that one has interested you. Less moving mass, both motors controling the x & y axis are stationery.

I have been quite intrigued by Tech2c's Hypercube at some time.
Paired with a Duet it would be quite a nice combination in my opinion.

But I suppose there are better designs out there still.
Love my Ormerod 1 because it is so easy to take along anywhere.
November 27, 2018 12:53AM
Karoo Klong
The Creality Ender 3 was also in my wishlist but importing to South Africa does not make it worth at all.

The Crealirty Ender 5 was released a few weeks ago and boy does it look exciting!

Have a look at the video.

I bought both my Ender 3's locally in SA (I wanted some sort of local support) and I'm very happy. They were under R4000 each which for the performance of the printer is a great price. The supplier brings them in by ship which reduces costs.
November 27, 2018 01:50AM
jamesf
I bought both my Ender 3's locally in SA (I wanted some sort of local support) and I'm very happy. They were under R4000 each which for the performance of the printer is a great price. The supplier brings them in by ship which reduces costs.
That is way less than the quotes I have been getting.
Perhaps you can point me in the direction of that suplier?
November 27, 2018 02:09AM
Karoo Klong
jamesf
That is way less than the quotes I have been getting.
Perhaps you can point me in the direction of that suplier?

[3drone.co.za]
Currently out of stock but contact them, they bring in shipments regularly and will be able to tell you when the next is due to arrive.
November 27, 2018 03:38AM
Thanks. smileys with beer
December 07, 2018 07:16AM
cheeseandham

My Ormerod 2 is now on top of the bookcase having been replaced by a Prusa i3 Mk3 a couple of weeks ago. I got fed up wanting to print something quickly and ended up spending all morning fiddling again and the print never got done.

After looking around I plumped for the Original Prusa because of the ongoing support and user base. I would have liked a printer with a rising Z-axis but couldn't see anything in my budget that would fit the bill.

I have to say I'm more than pleased with the Prusa, the construction was easy and it worked straight away. I could not get the powder coated PEI sheet for the bed but the smooth one works brilliantly, just have to watch as the magnets are so strong I've pinched my fingers a few times!

I was concerned about getting the bed level as there are no bed adjustments, but If you've played with an Ormerod you know how to get the Y rods straight.... My bed has come out flatter than I could ever get it on the Ormerod.

The down side is using the little front control panel and an SD card to upload files. I could install a PiZero and run Octoprint, there is even a socket for it, but even this is still way behind the Duet.

It is more expensive than a clone, but for me, the quality of the parts and support are worth it.

As for the quality of the prints, I can't believe how good they are even with the stock settings. I loved my Ormerod and learned so much tinkering with it but I think I had taken it as far as possible and have no regrets so far about getting the Mk3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login