Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y Axis Idler and Motor Mount

Posted by WesBrooks 
Y Axis Idler and Motor Mount
June 15, 2018 05:28AM
Hello all,

I'm using reverse engineering the Ormerod 2 files to FreeCAD files an excersize to help me get back to speed with CAD and in advance of modifying the basic design to accommodate a trapezoidal lead screw that a bought some months ago. I'm about 4 files though so far but think (/hope!) I have tackled some of the more tricky ones. I know there are many improvements I could consider but my intention is to make a library of FreeCAD parts that mimic the original, before going back through and revising some issues such as eliminating the countersunk and self tapping bolts where ever possible!

Anyhow. Just did the y-axis motor mount and had progressed onto working on the idler. I'd noticed on a lot of the part the holes intended as clearance holes weren't circular but had a kind-of hat on the top which presumably makes the printing much easier. These hats are on the motor mount but not on the idler, and also it appears the motor mount is intended to be 2mm bellow the level of the extrusion, but the idler mount not?

Any logic behind this or is it simply the motor mount had been revised but not the idler?
Re: Y Axis Idler and Motor Mount
August 22, 2018 03:33PM
How is this going Wes?
August 23, 2018 10:16AM
Slowly. I have but been tackling parts in the evenings up until very recently, a need to revisit my CV and get that out took over last week and setting up a computer for someone else this week.

So far I've created a first draft parametric FreeCAD file for the following parts:

547_y-idler
548_y-motor-bracket
469_z-motor-brace
437_z-lower-mount
438_z-upper-mount
527_z-corner-bracket
503_z-foot
549_y-bearing-belt-clamp
550_y-bearing-clamp-tagged
473_x-motor-bracket
492_z-bearing-clamp

The remaining parts that I will tackle are mostly easier than the first lot and comprise of:

462_x-idler-bracket
546_x-carriage
1079_quick-set-nozzle-mount
407_z-runner-mount
441_z-gear-driven
425_z-nut-trap
440_z-gear

I'll also create FreeCAD models of the extrusion, rods, foot/end plates, and x-arm although I don't intend to modify these. I'll be creating an assembly model in the near future to make sure everything aligns, and the applying a few tweaks on the parts that I'll document. I've got a Github account so will host the parts on there once I'm happy they are fit for purpose.

Parts wise I recently ordered some motors, switches and cables from RepRapLtd to match the parts already used on the Ormerods. Extrusions, rods, and the lasercut parts will remain unchanged. I plan to use a E3D V6 nozzle and an alternative extruder and so I won't be creating CAD files for those parts. I'm thinking about favouring microswitch end-stops too.

It's been a very useful exercise and I've picked up a few small techniques like profiling the holes whose axis is parallel to the x-y plane (when built) with a truncated tear-drop shape to avoid some of the nastyness that can occur when the sides of the holes drop below 45 degrees in the build. FreeCAD is not as fully featured or stable as some of the industrial CAD systems and using it can take a little patience at time but I've little doubt on the improvements that have been made even in the time I've been using it.

I'll be visiting TCT this year hoping to get some good deals on E3D parts and maybe a bondtech extruder if someone is selling them there. Used both on a Core XY machine at my last place of work and was happy with them.

Final edit: Thanks again for hosting the original build manuals!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2018 10:23AM by WesBrooks.
August 23, 2018 05:29PM
Hey Wes,

I'd love to see your work. Github at some point perhaps? grinning smiley

Nice to hear you've found it a useful exercise though, I should make some time for FreeCAD myself.
August 24, 2018 04:30AM
In-laws, friends laptop now set up and winging it's way back to them so I have a few days spare before helping them get used to the new system. Peal back the skin of Win 10 and there is a lot of very familiar GUIs and such that don't seem to have changed much since I tinkered with registry settings on XP a few years ago! Personally prefer Ubuntu but don't fancy guiding them through the learning curve right now!

Any how, yes forking the latest Ormerod 2 directory is high on my agenda. I wanted to get the parts a little closer to being as usable (taking dimensions from STL is a little tricky!) as the original files before opening the Github. Can you start one but keep it private for a while? I've downloaded Git and TortoiseGit today to get things set up.

I've included pics of what I've done. I'd say these files are in a drafted stage about 80-90% ready.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2018 04:31AM by WesBrooks.
Attachments:
open | download - 180824_ProgressCollage.png (460 KB)
August 27, 2018 07:26PM
Nice! (the image of the parts)

I've never used Github "from the other side" so to speak. I'll have a look when I find some time.
October 23, 2018 07:31PM
Started building things to replace broken bits and creating a virtual assembly to validate the new CAD.

This picture gives the impression things are further along than they are. Many things appear to not fit - which is what I half expected when reverse engineering from STL data.

The bits that are laser cut were not reverse engineered. The dxf files were imported and used as scetches. Likewise the extrusions, but thay need work as the corner radiuses were broken into tens of short segments rather than curves.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2018 01:13AM by WesBrooks.
Attachments:
open | download - 181023b_screenshot.png (22.9 KB)
October 24, 2018 05:50AM
[message deleted, wrong thread]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2018 05:52AM by cheeseandham.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login