Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Layer cooling with an Ormerod 2

Posted by cheeseandham 
Layer cooling with an Ormerod 2
November 19, 2018 05:03PM
.Hi all,

I've never found a "satisfactory" layer cooler for my Ormerod 2.
The standard coooler I found to be awful, it would fall off and not point at the right place - maybe I'm just not getting how it fits on the Ormerod.

With a single hotend I found that the typical designs with a single vent and a 40mm fan typically leave one side of your object to suffer from cooling problems.
With my dual extruder, this problem is worse.

I did have a weirdly mounted 50mm radial fan from a projector, with it's large blower simply pointed in the general area. It worked fairly well with Lokbuild surface, but not (my favourite!) PrintBite+ as it would cool the area down and loosen the print.

So my question is, does anyone have any good Ormerod 2 layer cooling solutions? Dual hotend compatible and nicely directed? Is there something I'm missing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2018 05:04PM by cheeseandham.
Re: Layer cooling with an Ormerod 2
November 19, 2018 07:31PM
How about this one:
[www.thingiverse.com]
November 19, 2018 10:51PM
Current implementation uses a 50mm radial and drilling out the standard acrylic mount a little. Not that directed though.

Edit: Not read post properly, only single hotend! :-D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2018 10:59PM by WesBrooks.
November 20, 2018 04:20AM
fotomas
How about this one:
[www.thingiverse.com]

Hey fotomas,
I saw yours cooling, and I thought "this is just what I want", until I noticed that (and correct me if I'm wrong here, but the photo doesn't show how it is mounted at all) the cooling does not travel with the hotend, so on larger prints where the hotend is near X200 or X0, the cooling is ,well, not cooling it.

So I discounted that one.
November 20, 2018 04:21AM
Wes,

Out of interest, I've not seen that one.

Which cooler is that?
November 20, 2018 04:56AM
The cooler is a 50mm radial mounted to the stock fan mount with a custom duct/mount. I'll share the CAD later today.

Edit:
xx_xxx_radial_fan_mount.FCStd
xx_xxx_radial-fan-mount.stl

I put some heat reflective tape on the faces nearest the hot end and heat sink vent.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2018 06:08AM by WesBrooks.
November 21, 2018 04:24AM
Wes,

Thank you. Great that you included the FreeCAD file too!
November 21, 2018 04:36AM
No problem. I was worried it was going to blow the hotend into an error state but it seems to cope. The temperature drops when the fan enables, but it corrects before going much outside 5C from set point.
November 22, 2018 04:53AM
Morning.

A typo led me to RepRapLtd's webpage this morning rather than the forum. Had a look at the fisher delta kit which has a radial fan mounted on the hot end.

Next time I look at the duct I'll be having a dig around for those files to see what they are like.
November 22, 2018 07:52AM
Wes,

can you provide a model number or link to the 50mm radial fan you used please? smiling smiley

oh, and for you - Fisher hot-end documentation

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2018 07:58AM by cheeseandham.
November 22, 2018 08:21AM
I ordered mine from RepRapWorld when I was looking for a supplier of 3DLac. I've since found 3D Filaprint stock it and I strongly suspect it's just branded hairspray!

[reprapworld.co.uk]

I've just ordered a few from E3D and they look to be the same dimensions:

[e3d-online.com]
December 06, 2018 08:24AM
Still no good sollution for the standard J-Head print head part cooling?
December 06, 2018 08:51AM
I went hunting for J-Head part cooling fans and found these possible options.

[www.thingiverse.com] - For Ormerod
[www.thingiverse.com] - Could posibly be adapted to suit

[www.thingiverse.com] - Liking this one very much
[www.thingiverse.com] - This one could also be briliant if only my remodeling skills were better

[www.thingiverse.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[www.thingiverse.com] - Dual print head. I like the backwash eliminator of this one
[www.thingiverse.com]
[www.thingiverse.com] - interesting but could be modified. Though it might be too high

Do you think we can create something awesome with parts of these?
December 06, 2018 09:30AM
My pictures above and attached files show a standard print head with my radial fan mount.
December 06, 2018 09:35AM
I get that, but the air still only blows from one side. I would like to create something that goes around the print head to eliminate uneven cooling.
I suppose one could incorporate one of these smaller surroundings shrouds onto your fan bracket?
December 06, 2018 10:32AM
Karoo Klong
I get that, but the air still only blows from one side. I would like to create something that goes around the print head to eliminate uneven cooling.
I suppose one could incorporate one of these smaller surroundings shrouds onto your fan bracket?

I've been through all this, forget about using a ordinary fan, you will need the pressure of a radial fan blower
Way too little space around the nozzle to mount a proper cooling ring, you will have to lower the nozzle a lot (angle problems) or move it a lot in the y direction (loss of printing volume)

I found the best solution to be the Cobra cooler I mounted on the Bigfoot, proper cooling is a must, esp. for tiny prints

Erik
December 06, 2018 11:12AM
Yeah, my solution isn't ideal but was enough to get 45 degree overhangs, bridges, and a middling effort on the benchy (will reply to your other post later!) working on a more-or-less stock system without causing too much headache or obstruction of hot end fan vents.

Pleased with tje bridging now.
December 06, 2018 03:42PM
WesBrooks
Yeah, my solution isn't ideal but was enough to get 45 degree overhangs, bridges, and a middling effort on the benchy (will reply to your other post later!) working on a more-or-less stock system without causing too much headache or obstruction of hot end fan vents.

[attachment 108465 _20181206_160846.JPG]

Pleased with tje bridging now.

LoL, I see we use the same flashlight also. grinning smiley
December 06, 2018 03:43PM
ormerod168
Karoo Klong

I've been through all this, forget about using a ordinary fan, you will need the pressure of a radial fan blower
Way too little space around the nozzle to mount a proper cooling ring, you will have to lower the nozzle a lot (angle problems) or move it a lot in the y direction (loss of printing volume)

I found the best solution to be the Cobra cooler I mounted on the Bigfoot, proper cooling is a must, esp. for tiny prints

[attachment 108464 ellaandfreinds.JPG]

Erik

Those Animals look astonishing!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login